GWR again!

Stephen Andrews
👍 5

Wed 12 May 2021, 09:05

I assume that when the trains resume service, there will be a frequent on board GWR tannoy announcement 'to mind the crack'.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Wed 12 May 2021, 07:43

It looks likely that the great majority of the fleet (70 out of 90+) will be back in action from this weekend - they haven’t fixed the issue but they’re agreeing a process for monitoring it while the repairs (slowly) take place. 

Alex Flynn
👍 1

Wed 12 May 2021, 01:40

Brian, Simon and anybody else that was offended by the remark “ever the expert”, I apologise unreservedly. I guess the anxiety of whether I was going to get to work on time must have got the better of me..,

Grace Cahill
👍 1

Tue 11 May 2021, 17:02 (last edited on Tue 11 May 2021, 17:04)

Christine - I’ve driven to Parkway a few times over the past week, including this morning. You’re right, they’re doing some work at the turning in on the left. The cones looked like they’d been a bit scattered this morning but the bus lane and car access via the far left lane is closed and it directs you to drive on and turn left past the first set of lights I think from memory (if that makes any sense). Anyway totally fine to get in there. There’s tons of parking both in the park and ride and in the station car park so should be all fine. 

Brian Murray
👍 10

Tue 11 May 2021, 14:22

Alex, this is a restrained comment as I don't want to push this subject on to the debate section of the Forum but I think your "ever the expert" remark aimed at Simon is unwarranted and rude. What's more, an apology would appear to be appropriate.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Tue 11 May 2021, 13:47

I think “chaos” is poetic licence on the part of the Oxford Mail to be honest.

Chiltern are running half-hourly from Oxford to Marylebone, CrossCountry are running hourly to Reading, and GWR are running shuttles from Oxford to Didcot where you can get a fast electric train to Paddington (repurposed from suburban duty).

Christine Battersby
👍

Tue 11 May 2021, 13:26

Dave, I can see that the slipway to Oxford Parkway is closed for buses coming from the Kidlington direction. Is this also affecting the access cars have to Water Eaton/Oxford Parkway?

Also, what was the parking like please? Also, are the travellers still camped there? I'm wondering about Park & Ride tomorrow. 

Given that Oxford Mail is this morning reporting chaos at the main Oxford station, and are now saying that trains to London Paddington have been cancelled, I'm wondering if it is likely to be very crowded. Thanks.

Dave Oates
👍 3

Tue 11 May 2021, 13:10

Today was my first day back in London. I was concerned it would all feel different but having had to drive to Parkway and then moaned about GWR all morning, I can honestly that after a year, it feels like everything is just how it was pre-pandemic!

Carl A Perkins
👍 6

Tue 11 May 2021, 10:40

They should have kept the Intercity 125s - built to last and still going reliably in Scotland!

Rod Evans
👍 1

Tue 11 May 2021, 10:33

Ah m'learned friends will be rubbing their hands with glee!

Alex Flynn
👍

Tue 11 May 2021, 10:27

Strange how it had to happen now Richard! 

Alex Flynn
👍

Tue 11 May 2021, 10:09

Simon not everyone is working from home (inbetween playing with the pets) Simon (ever the expert!). That these trains have been allowed to run for 4 years is the biggest concern. That this poor manufacture was passed is even bigger 

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Tue 11 May 2021, 09:48

Apparently cracks as long as 285mm have been discovered. It’s not going to be a quick (or cheap) fix. I suspect we can expect this to continue for a month or two.

Simon Walker
👍 5

Tue 11 May 2021, 09:20

Let's put things into perspective here.  OK, so it's inconvenient when some trains don't run as scheduled.  Metal fatigue is presumably at the heart of the problem with the Hitachi trains, and personally, I think that it would be quite a bit more inconvenient if whatever has cracks in it came apart when a train was travelling at 90mph-plus.  Given the number of trains that are potentially affected, it's going to take time to inspect each one thoroughly, and carry out any repairs that are found to be needed.

Alex Flynn
👍

Tue 11 May 2021, 07:28

Damn annoying - it looks like they’ve changed them again! There is no train running between 8.05 and 11.11. What a way to run a railway! 

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Mon 10 May 2021, 09:43

Looks like an hourly Turbo service from Oxford to Worcester for the time being.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 1

Sun 9 May 2021, 19:28 (last edited on Sun 9 May 2021, 19:42)

Turbos have been doing Reading–Worcester shuttles today.

So far it’s looking like there’ll be some through services tomorrow and the rest will be Turbo shuttle: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/detailed/CBY/2021-05-10/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

I’m not sure I’d take that as gospel though – definitely best to check before travelling.

Alex Flynn
👍

Sun 9 May 2021, 15:04

realtime.nationalrail.co.uk/fgw/summary.aspx?T=CBY&R=1

nationalrail.co.uk

John Dora
👍

Sun 9 May 2021, 14:58

Thanks Alex and Richard. 

I usually find https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk useful to double check things. Normally you can see if the trains are running especially if you use the 'detailed version' as is available.

Alex Flynn
👍

Sun 9 May 2021, 14:47 (last edited on Sun 9 May 2021, 14:47)

I just checked the GWR app and they are happy to keep selling tickets for Tuesday as if nothing has happened! Take now, inconvenience later! 

Alex Flynn
👍

Sun 9 May 2021, 14:39 (last edited on Sun 9 May 2021, 14:42)

Thanks Richard. Are the times published anywhere yet or is it too early. I only have to go to Oxford

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 1

Sun 9 May 2021, 13:02

I think they’re aiming to lay on a limited Turbo service – if you need to go further then you can change at Oxford for a CrossCountry train to Reading, or a Chiltern train to Marylebone. It’ll be a greatly reduced service though.

Alex Flynn
👍

Sun 9 May 2021, 12:42 (last edited on Sun 9 May 2021, 14:48)

For those who don't watch the news https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57042384

Alex Flynn
👍

Sun 9 May 2021, 12:40

As there's no post on here about the train cancellations (which look set to go into next week) I am going to start one! I imagine (by the lack of concern) that most of you are still hiding out in your home offices but for those forced to travel (to get to work) it is going to be a nightmare. Are GWR laying on alternative transport whilst the disruption is going on. I was affected yesterday and had already bought tickets for next week. So much for trying to be organised! Four years of using these Hitachi trains and they discover hairline cracks now at a time when less people are travelling. Hmmm...

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.