Road closures from 8th feb

Michael Grant
👍

Wed 27 Jan 2021, 17:56

Hi Liz 

That would be great if they could,  or even do night work full closure of the road and partial during the day,  would be more convenient for all.

Fingers cross for a compromise 

Christine Battersby
👍

Wed 27 Jan 2021, 17:27

There are late night train cancellations, missing out Finstock & large parts of the Cotswold line (bus replacements), but so far only listed for the week starting February 6th, and on the Sunday, plus Mondays - early Friday a.m.. 

Liz Leffman
👍

Wed 27 Jan 2021, 17:12 (last edited on Wed 27 Jan 2021, 17:13)

You are right, Michael, this is very inconvenient. Highways are also concerned that this is a gritting route and gritting lorries won't be able to operate. The work is being done by Network Rail and Highways have tried to contact them to ask if they can postpone till the spring and modify their plans so that traffic can access the road at least some of the time, but have not had a reply as yet.

Michael Grant
👍

Wed 27 Jan 2021, 12:11

I understand work needs to be done,  but it can't be that dangerous or extensive as the rail line is still open.   It doesn't make sense to close one but not the other 

Liz Leffman
👍

Wed 27 Jan 2021, 09:05

I'm afraid not.  The bridge itself is undergoing repair and therefore has to be closed to all traffic.

Michael Grant
👍

Tue 26 Jan 2021, 22:53

II was hoping Liz had managed to find out whether they were going to traffic light the closure.   Like they did with the other bridge.  It can't be too dangerous what there doing otherwise the railway itself would be closed. 

Mandy cooper
👍

Tue 26 Jan 2021, 22:38

There’s a sign by the bridge today saying closed from the 8th feb 22nd March. 

Christine Battersby
👍

Tue 26 Jan 2021, 22:34

It's on the Witney Town Council app (android), entry on November 4th. Also the Hailey Parish Council minutes. Probably lots of other places as well. It offers some grim maps for official diversions, North and South. 

A pretty poor app, by the way. 

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Tue 26 Jan 2021, 22:10

Has anyone seen an official notice of closure?

Michael Grant
👍 1

Tue 26 Jan 2021, 18:26

In was talking about the road closure at the bridge at the bottom of Finstock Hill,  I have to commute daily,  a 6-7 week diversion seems excessive 

Heather Williams
👍

Tue 26 Jan 2021, 18:24

Carterton is not a million miles away, easy to get to via Burford which is the easiest way anyway.

Michael Grant
👍

Tue 26 Jan 2021, 18:10

Does anyone have an update on this please?  

Joanne Fox
👍

Thu 21 Jan 2021, 15:54

Thames Water is set to work on Dyers Hill at Church Lane junction.  

Friday morning. But they will keep a lane open. Replacing a drain so water may be off for less than an hour. 

Christine Battersby
👍

Thu 21 Jan 2021, 13:37

This is what is listed on the Hailey Parish Council site: 

The alternative route for traffic is via B4022, Charlbury road, Woodstock Road, B4437, A44, A4095 (Grove Road), A4095 (Jubilee Way), A4022 (West End), Crawley Road, Hailey Road, Witney Road, Charlbury Road and vice versa.

Obviously there are other routes for smaller vehicles (via Leafield or Stonesfield, for example), but this is the official route for HGVs etc.

Michael Grant
👍

Thu 21 Jan 2021, 12:07

Thankyou Liz, that would be great, I wouldnt mind if it was for a week, I and other wouldnt mind the diversions but for 6 weeks at that sort of diversion is a little long.

Thankyou again.

Liz Leffman
👍

Thu 21 Jan 2021, 12:02

When they worked on the bridge before they had a traffic light system. I will find out if that is what is planned this time.

Michael Grant
👍

Thu 21 Jan 2021, 11:56 (last edited on Thu 21 Jan 2021, 11:59)

Who would be the best person to speak to about this road closure?

Closing a major route for nearly two months with a somewhat large diversion seems annoying to say the least. It takes it from a 7.5 mile trip to a 11 mile trip!

As they are working on the bridge, are the rail services still running?, if they are , surely it would be safe enough to have single file traffic / traffic lights.

Meryl Smith
👍 1

Thu 21 Jan 2021, 08:46

In response to the concerns about getting to Carterton Health Centre for a COVID vaccine, please see the new post from ATIC - we recommend a route via Burford.

Robin Taylor
👍

Thu 21 Jan 2021, 07:58

It usually appears on the one.network website, it’s not up there at the moment, but it’s probably a bit soon. Last time there was a disruption on the Witney road, the official diversion for HGVs was via Woodstock.

Sam Small
👍

Wed 20 Jan 2021, 23:00

Does anyone know if the County Council  are suggesting alternative routes (for through traffic, logistics companies, etc.) during the bridge closure?

Steve Jones
👍 1

Wed 20 Jan 2021, 22:23 (last edited on Wed 20 Jan 2021, 22:33)

"To get to Witney you can go past charlbury train station turn right towards leafield"

I think you'll find it's a left hand turn...

The Library in Carterton is next door to the Health Centre. As far as Carterton Medical Centre is concerned, that seems to be in New Zealand. Which, ironically, is one place that doesn't need the vaccine...

Mandy cooper
👍 3

Wed 20 Jan 2021, 22:10 (last edited on Thu 21 Jan 2021, 12:54)

To get to Witney you can go past charlbury train station turn left towards leafield and go through the forest. Or got to fawler turn right along the narrow road to ashford mill then turn left and you go towards finstock to get onto the main road. Go careful as back roads are narrow. 

Andrew Greenfield
👍 2

Wed 20 Jan 2021, 21:43 (last edited on Wed 20 Jan 2021, 21:45)

Steve, if you had searched for Carterton Medical Centre, not Health Centre you would have been taken straight to the correct place; or at least the SatNav in our car managed to get it correct.

Actually, having just looked on Google Maps, both seem to be the same place.

stephen cavell
👍 2

Wed 20 Jan 2021, 21:09

We put the post code on the top of the map we were given into the sat nav. This took us through Burford and into Carterton straight to the Carterton Health Centre - on time.  Alas the Health Centre was not where we were supposed to be!! Redirected to the Library where we should have been. We'll have it right for the second visit.. We MUST express our thanks to everyone concerned for the organisation and the kind and efficient arrangements.

Andrew Greenfield
👍 1

Wed 20 Jan 2021, 20:11

Yesterday we went via the Witney road, turned right just after The Bird in Hand towards Crawley, then at the T junction with the B4047 turned towards Burford, then left at The White Hart towards Brize Norton and Carterton.

Very easy, quick, and no hold-ups at all.

Steve Jones
👍 1

Wed 20 Jan 2021, 19:44

To get to Carterton go via Burford (which many people seem to recommend anyway).

As far as Witney is concerned, then there aren't any convenient alternatives. Going via Fawler, taking the right hand junction and then going via East Leigh to the A4095 is one possibility. Another is to take the Burford Road and then turn left to go via Leafield and Crawley is another.

I think I will take this as a cue to do my supermarket shopping elsewhere for the duration.

On the positive side, at least through traffic will be greatly reduced.

Hannen Beith
👍

Wed 20 Jan 2021, 19:23

Thank you Mandy and Jean.

If I am called up for a vaccination, how do I get to Carterton?

Just asking for a friend.

Jean Adams
👍 1

Wed 20 Jan 2021, 18:49

Very helpful. So how do we get to Witney?

Mandy cooper
👍 2

Wed 20 Jan 2021, 17:46

🚧 Road Closure - B4022 Witney Road - Finstock 🚧

Network Rail are carrying out work on the bridge on the B4022 between Finstock and Charlbury by Finstock station. The road will be closed from the 8th February - 22nd March.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2023. Contributions are the opinion of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.