Return of the sideways photos

Charlie M
👍 2

Tue 26 May 2020, 11:11

Presumably - to add to the confusion - this will change to BREXIF after 31st December?

Liz Reason
👍 2

Tue 26 May 2020, 11:01

The joys of software design!

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 2

Mon 25 May 2020, 20:39

Apple and Google have changed how their browsers upload photos to websites, bless them.

Which is why in recent weeks, advert/news/events pictures have sometimes been showing rotated again. I think I’ve now fixed this but I’ll keep an eye on it.

(For those with an interest in the technical side of things: previously browsers would send the JPEG image always encoded in landscape format, but with an EXIF orientation flag to indicate whether it should be rotated to portrait. As of the latest versions of Chrome and Safari, they now automatically correct the JPEG data to be the right way up – which would be great, except that they also send the original EXIF orientation flag. So the website was getting a corrected image, and then ‘correcting’ it by rotating it according to the EXIF flag… which sent it sideways again. Hey ho.)

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2023. Contributions are the opinion of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.