Making a Will

Susan Way
👍

Tue 27 May 2008, 11:34

I'm glad that you're thinking of making a will. It's estimated that only 41% of the adult population have an up-to-date will, yet writing a will is one of the most important financial and personal decisions you have to make. Without a will, the state decides who inherits your estate, so your friends, relatives and favourite charities may get nothing. Solicitors are properly trained, able to advise on tax and are required to be insured.

It's also vital to see a solicitor for expert advice so your family can avoid paying unnecessary levels of inheritance tax. Recent changes to the inheritance tax regime mean that it is more important than ever to obtain a solicitor’s advice on wills, tax and trusts planning. A bank may or may not write a will for free, but they will usually insist that they are named as an executor (someone who deals with the estate after you die) so they will more than make their money in that way.

Although I am a solicitor I don't do this type of work, so I have no axe to grind here. I simply recommend that you do get in touch with a solicitor and for wills and tax advice I have used Lorraine Stacey of Stanger Stacey and Mason of 35A High Street Witney (office above Huffkins) who is very helpful. She is contactable on 01993 776491.

John Munro
👍

Mon 26 May 2008, 15:34

Take a look at the entry for Shaw & Co in the Directory section of this website:-
www.charlbury.info/cgi-bin/ddirectory.cgi?category=&text=shaw

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Mon 26 May 2008, 12:43

Pippa - if you have a straighforward estate - ie. everything to your husband and vice versa, and if you both go together then to the kids, the legal packs from Smith's are fine. Its only if there are business interests involved as well that I would think it would become more involved. Why dont you ask Susan Way or Louise Littledale, as they are both solicitors and not conveyancers like Andrew.

mandy
👍

Sun 25 May 2008, 17:12

he was my mum solicitor when she moved house

Helen Wilkinson
👍

Sun 25 May 2008, 16:33

I understand that Andrew Shaw is a Licensed Conveyancer, and is not a Solicitor.

Birgit den Outer
👍

Thu 22 May 2008, 12:55

I believe Andrew Shaw, local solicitor, does this kind of thing too. I keep meaning to go and see him to do our will. He has been our solicitor during the purchase of three houses (consecutively!)in Charlbury.

Pippa Nash
👍

Wed 21 May 2008, 19:14

Thanks everyone. I've always been a bit worried about me doing the DIY approach - legal issues can be complex and one error can mean a bit of a minefield. Don't want to cause problems for anyone left behind, I guess. Not sure I trust myself. If anyone has any tips on pitfalls, or has done a DIY version themselves would really appreciate help. Or am I being too cautious?

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Tue 20 May 2008, 23:49

You can always get a pack from WH Smith as well. I think they are called LawPack and do several different legal packs.

mandy
👍

Tue 20 May 2008, 21:50

you can get a pack from the post office and do it your self. or you could try bower and bailey in witney they have always been very good when needed.

Paul Taylor
👍

Tue 20 May 2008, 20:59

some banks do it for free

Pippa Nash
👍

Tue 20 May 2008, 20:40

Hi. Can anyone recommend a local solicitor for a Will? Thankfully I haven't had much use of a solicitor, yet, but would really prefer to use a local one.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.