Paul Taylor
👍

Tue 20 May 2008, 19:09

sorry was talking about Pooles lane

russell robson
👍

Mon 19 May 2008, 21:07

Just a quick one on this.

The damaged highways drain on the Burford Road "burst" as a result of the July Floods and subsequently was damaged again in the winter, when the pipe capacity obviously couldn't cope with the flood events that we have recently had. Surface water drainage is the responsibility of the higway authority therefore OCC. Thames Water would not have any duties with regard this structure.

The water supply network would be the responsibility of Thames Water, and much of the wastewater drainage. Springs are the responsibility of the riperian owner, however, sometimes where they are causing wider public issues they are managed by local authorities.

The Environment Agency would only be involved if there were ecological or environmental issues such as illegal abstraction, pollution, or impact on protect habitats.

Paul Taylor
👍

Mon 19 May 2008, 19:35

How do we know its a spring could be the water service going in to the house there, if so this does not always mean its down to Thames water to fix could be on the customer side then that would be down to the customer to sort out.

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Mon 19 May 2008, 15:36

The old water boards used to be responsible for ALL water resources in their areas of operation - that included management of ground water and springs etc. I don't know what happened in the privatisation rip-off of the taxpayer back in the Tory Govt days (at the peak of their…

Long post - click to read full text

Derek Collett
👍

Mon 19 May 2008, 12:34

If the leak on Pooles Lane is caused by a spring and not a burst pipe or faulty water main there surely it is nothing whatsoever to do with Thames Water and there is no point complaining to them about it? I would have thought that WODC should be the first point of call. I agree with David: my neighbours and I know to our cost how prone this part of Charlbury is to flooding and having an impromptu spring flowing down the road in summer is not is not likely to help the situation.

I've just walked past the spring - it has already eroded quite a sizeable hole in the road. It has stopped flowing for now but perhaps it is just low tide at the moment!

Charlotte Penn
👍

Fri 16 May 2008, 20:22

Yes folks, when it rains it pours!

This week - there’s been more incompetence with Thames water; nothing can be done about our leaking pipe, as the main pipe in the road has a broken stop cap.

Now, when I mentioned this to Dean Haines, asking why this didn’t get reported in March, by a Thames Water – by a John Dyre. Dean came up with loads of excuses.

Apparently this is now going to be fixed next Monday!!

I did find out that a Malcolm Turner is the man in charge of leaks at Thames Water.

And Jo, Dean Haines can be rung on 0845 6410046 ext 62071

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Or go to ………………………………………………………………

www.thames-water.com/UK/region/en_gb/content/Section_Homepages/Multi_Download_000651.jsp

Contact us to report a leak
Phone LEAKLINE 0800 714 614** (for leaks from a pipe in the road or footpath)
Complete our online form

• *free from any BT landline (charges may apply to other network providers)
    To help us continually improve the quality of our service we record all calls.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    I hope all this helps and wonder if there’s going to be a hosepipe ban this summer?

• JB Fox
    👍

Wed 14 May 2008, 11:25

I just walked past the water leak on Pooles lane. Thinking that the squeeky water leek gets the oil (plug?) would it help if several people called to complain? Does anyone have the phone number of Thames Water team member, Dean Haines, who is able to actually do something, rather than just take details. I would be willing to invest in a call to them and perhaps if we all did... couldnt hurt!
    Jo

Dave Oates
    👍

Wed 14 May 2008, 10:40

My understanding is that Thames Water have looked at it and it is definitely a spring. The concern is the long term damage to the road - once the spring is coupled with heavy rain (and let's face it, we are coming into summer, so heavy rain is a certainty!!) the bottom of the hill IS going to flood.

Derek Collett
    👍

Mon 12 May 2008, 23:12

It started a couple of months ago. The water was coming from a hydrant on the pavement at first and later from a hydrant in the road. For the last month or so the leak has been coming from the drive of the first house on Pooles Lane. Some guys from Thames Water came to look at it initially but I've not seen anyone looking at it since (apart from interested bystanders!).

If a burst water main is the cause of the leak then I'm concerned at how much water has been wasted so far and how much our water bills will rise next year as a result. On the other hand, if an underground spring has broken the surface then I'm surprised that no enterprising person has yet started to bottle it and to do a roaring trade in "Natural Charlbury Mineral Water"!

Katie Ewer
    👍

Mon 12 May 2008, 20:43

Does anyone know anything about the leak at the bottom of Dancers Hill? It seems to have been there for quite a while.

Charlotte Penn
    👍

Sun 11 May 2008, 15:29

Speeding is not the issue here, speaking to the relevant departments to solve the issue is.

I'm sure that you are enjoying our lovely weather. I'm still working on 100 different things. Sob sob! However, at the same time - I'm cooking lots of yummy things for friends and me. This was my 5 minute break! Best wishes.

Harriet Baldwin
    👍

Sat 10 May 2008, 16:49

Since speeding is high on peoples' priorities around here, I expect they're some kind of anti-speeding device. They do help to keep the speed down on traffic coming down Forest Hill as you would know if you used that road on a regular basis, particularly around the time trains are due in.

No doubt the relevant department has forgotten that they had a hole dug and so hasn't notified the relevant contractors that it must be filled in.

Charlotte Penn
    👍

Fri 9 May 2008, 19:08

Finally, after getting escalated to a proper Thames Water team member, I got through to a Dean Haines, who is able to actually do something, rather than just take details. Technicians are now coming on Monday afternoon to survey our burst leak. It was 7th March, when I reported this!

A Steve Rag, the contractor – is now on the case. Hurrah!

Thus, once the pipe is mended, there will be no running stream through my yard, no trout hatchery, so I don’t have to get my flies threaded and my waders buffed. No watercress rill, and plant irrigation fed by source of Thames Water!

The morale of this story is – to get escalated and make notes of all your time and phone calls, etc.

Charlotte Penn
    👍

Thu 8 May 2008, 19:47

My guess would be our incompetent Thames Water board!

I don’t have the energy to go into my latest issues, with my burst leak/running stream - running through my front yard. My friends are going to buy me some fish, it’s that bad! At least I have irrigation for my outside plants! However, we may have a draught this summer, and we don’t want our water rates going up or hosepipe bans – do we!

I have waited for two months now for a phone call/letter - to say when an engineer can mend it.

Thames water promised me a phone call by 1.30pm tomorrow, after two conversations today, lasting 20 minutes each time – on those expensive phone call numbers. Mind you they promised me a call last week!

I also know that there are other major water leaks in our town and would love to know what’s happening there? Updates are always good!

John Munro
    👍

Thu 8 May 2008, 19:16

Does anyone know why there are bollards and signs just up from the railway bridge on the Burford Road? Just seem to be protecting an area the size of a drain/gully, but they have been there for months now with nothing ever happening!

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.