Collecting for Calais refugees

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 9

Wed 8 Apr 2020, 21:18 (last edited on Wed 8 Apr 2020, 21:22)

Post deleted, again. This subject is repeatedly degenerating into arguing and I am not prepared to spend my afternoons refereeing an increasingly ill-tempered battle between people who are never going to agree.

There are some people who think this is a great venture and some people who think that it risks spreading Covid-19 infection. These two groups are showing no signs of agreeing. That is really all there is to say about it. Anything else is just restating these same two positions with increasing ferocity.

This forum is moderated so that it can continue to be a useful resource for the people of Charlbury. It is not principally a site for recreational arguing between people of opposing viewpoints. If that’s what you enjoy then there is a Debate board especially for that, though even then some basic standards of civility are required.

If you’re not happy with these rules, that’s entirely your right. There are millions of websites on the internet and some are doubtless not going to be to your taste. Ultimately the name on the piece of paper that says “who owns charlbury.info” and “who pays the server bills” is mine, which means the buck stops here in my (slightly ragged) chair. If anyone is going to be sued over content on this website, it’ll be me (yes, it has been threatened in the past). If anyone is going to be buttonholed in the street about it (and heaven knows that happens enough, or at least it did when we could all go outside!), it’s me. That means, I’m afraid, that ultimately I decide on the rules for this site.

If you’d like a website where the rules are set by someone else, may I recommend Facebook or Reddit. Thank you.

This thread is now locked and I would ask that you do not revisit the subject.

rachel Grant
👍 2

Tue 7 Apr 2020, 17:58

Thanks clive, I have messaged you

Father Clive Dytor
👍 2

Tue 7 Apr 2020, 16:32

Hi! We have some tins of food and  water..will you collect? 

rachel Grant
👍 3

Tue 7 Apr 2020, 14:36

Jon, that’s amazing!!! 

Thank you so much. This will definitely be put to good use 😊

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍 6

Tue 7 Apr 2020, 13:20

Just to let people know that Charlbury Refugee Action Group has donated £1200 to help Care4Calais meet the desperate needs they are confronting. 

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 2

Tue 7 Apr 2020, 11:47

[Follow-up thread is on the Debate board. No arguing in this thread please. --Richard]

Lee-Ann Keeble
👍 1

Mon 6 Apr 2020, 20:49

Hello Rachel; I am sure I could get together a bag of tins etc - if you arrange for a drop off point at the community centre then let me know; otherwise we can arrange for you to collect from my home or I can drop off at your home - if that's acceptable.

Lee-Ann

rachel Grant
👍 2

Mon 6 Apr 2020, 19:35

Hi, I am traveling with my daughter to Calais on Sunday to spend a week volunteering with "Care 4 Calais" a frontline charity working with displaced refugees living homeless in Calais and Dunkerque. Since the Covid 19 outbreak, things have desperately worsened for these people. Many of the services they rely on have shut down and the conditions they are living in make them especially vulnerable to the virus.

Since the epidemic Care4Calais have lost a considerable number of volunteers. And donations of essential items, food, and money have all but disappeared.

As well as volunteering I would really like to arrive with a boot full of supplies. If there is anything that Charlbury, or the wider, community could provide this would be very welcome. Most needed supplies currently include hand sanitisers, liquid soap, bottled water, flashlights, sleeping bags and tents.

Food is also a top priority at the moment

High priority:

• Dried fruit & nuts (especially dates)

• Biscuits

• Cakes

• Sugar

• Coffee

• UHT milk

Also needed:

• Tinned food with pull top (e.g. lamb,

chicken, beef, tuna, sardines, tomatoes,

red/white beans, chick peas, lentils)

• Cooking oil

• Black & Green tea

• Eggs

• Long-life fruit juice

• Red lentils

I can collect from Charlbury and surrounding areas or perhaps arrange a drop off point outside the community center if there is lots to pick up?

Thanks, Rachel

This thread has been locked. You cannot add any further replies.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.