Tankers up Ditchley Road

Rod Evans
👍 1

Sat 11 Apr 2020, 11:35 (last edited on Sat 11 Apr 2020, 11:41)

Picking up belatedly on this thread, I wish landowners and their managers could be a bit more up front about some of their activities, especially when close to / potentially affecting their neighbours.  As another example, the field around the cricket club has been sown and sprayed I think 3 times in the last 10 days - probably benignly (as apparently at Ditchley) but with no notice to those living nearby or info anywhere public about it (as far as I know).

There will no doubt still be some among them who think it's none of our business what they do with 'their' land.  Leaving aside any issues about 'ownership' (all property etc!), what goes into / onto the land can affect its future quality, can leach into watercourses and potentially affects us all either directly or indirectly.  Wouldn't it locally be in their PR interests, say to put something on the news section here, to let people know what they do with it?

Am bordering on 'debate' here - sorry Richard!

Janet Sly
👍 1

Wed 1 Apr 2020, 23:22

We have seen both the tractor with spraying attachments and a huge empty bag near the Ditchley road as well as a few tankers. I am glad to learn it was the fertiliser made from food waste. I had wondered if it was - having visited the anaerobic digester in Cassington a few years ago where they told us they sell the resulting liquid fertiliser to local farmers. You can also see the dark liquid in places on the fields.

joanne spicer
👍 2

Tue 31 Mar 2020, 19:02

Thanks , this has been perplexing me as I sit and watch them wiz past my house as you say they are not slow when they come down the Woodstock road, counted over 60 the other day.. nice to find out what’s going on ..

helen gleeson
👍 2

Tue 31 Mar 2020, 18:09

Please .A message to drivers . 

Especially Tanker drivers on the Woodstock Road . Most respect the speed limit 

some do not . 
You drivers also have a responsibility to  NHS Trauma Departments

Please slow down . 

Stephen Andrews
👍 2

Tue 31 Mar 2020, 14:56

Given the new found local enthusiasm for tanker spotting, we should ask the Cassington folk to consider naming them, following the excellent Eddie Stobart tradition. Hey, we could even have a kids competition! (I would say that I must get out more, but...)

Janet Burroughs
👍 1

Tue 31 Mar 2020, 14:30

The tankers have been operating for a number of days and have been travelling down Woodstock Road for a number of days. With minimal traffic on the road,  they are very noticeable. They start early -  around 7.30 this morning, and are travelling later now the clocks have gone forward - one at around 6.30pm. So we are probably talking 20 trips a day. in total, at the very least. 

Christine Battersby
👍

Tue 31 Mar 2020, 12:07

Very helpful, Kathy, thank you. But I'm rather puzzled by the claim that there will be 20 journeys in all. I'm sure I have seen more than this already, and the tanker journeys continue today. 

Might it be that each of the 3 tankers makes 20 journeys? That would fit better with what I've been seeing as I sit at my desk. And even that might be an underestimate, given that it's been going on for more than a week. 

Jim Holah
👍 2

Tue 31 Mar 2020, 11:10

Agreed Kathy, not nasty at all & nice to see the circle of waste to fertiliser.  The 3 tankers we encountered yesterday were driving carefully & acknowledged our stepping off the track to avoid conflict.

Kathy Broughton
👍 2

Mon 30 Mar 2020, 23:39

I can confirm that it is indeed the digestate from Cassington--from our food waste! Richard and I took a walk out there a couple days ago and were able to ask one of the drivers (from a safe distance) about it. They actually pump the liquid into a big bag that lies on the field. A pump attached to a tractor then pumps it out to a spot in a far field where it is used by another tractor that spreads it using one of those wing thing attachments (technical term). The truck then continues out to the Enstone Road. The driver said there will be 20 truck loads in all. We thought it was really cool to see the end of the food waste process.

Sarah Khoja
👍

Mon 30 Mar 2020, 22:46

Many lorries are travelling at quite a speed for a single track road so please be aware! 

Hannen Beith
👍

Mon 30 Mar 2020, 18:37

Sounds lovely!

Jim Holah
👍 2

Mon 30 Mar 2020, 17:51

They head up the salt track, pump out the fertiliser onto the adjacent fields & then head off towards Enstone Rd to exit the site.  Saw 3 or 4 up there this morning.  It's probably digestate from the anaerobic digester, either that or sewage farm residuals.

john h
👍 1

Mon 30 Mar 2020, 17:50

I believe it is the digestate from our local food waste recycling site. 

Christine Battersby
👍

Mon 30 Mar 2020, 17:21

I asked the same thing a few days ago, Susie, as the tankers have been so frequent and also so very large. I understand that they contain a type of liquid fertiliser. They seem to go up the Ditchley Rd, but not down again (or,at least, not often). They travel through Ditchley Park and out the other side.

Apparently, it's been going on for a few years now, at this time of year. But it's been particularly evident this year when everywhere else is so quiet.

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Mon 30 Mar 2020, 17:05

Having gone for lots of walks most up the Ditchley Road, can anyone tell me what the tankers are that keep going up - must be at least 3 on our walk (which isn’t far!)

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.