Coronavirus support network

Tanya Stevenson
👍 3

Fri 20 Mar 2020, 23:23

We are delighted with the amazing response from our generous community. Over 100 people have already volunteered to help those who are in self-isolation. Thank you - it says a lot about Charlbury people. If you need help or want to volunteer, the phone number to call is 01608 811878. 

Hans Eriksson
👍

Wed 18 Mar 2020, 11:56

That is very useful Deborah Longshaw

Deborah Longshaw
👍 4

Wed 18 Mar 2020, 10:36

Found this really useful post on Facebook, From Oxfordshire MIND in regards to free online activities:-

If you’ve been asked to stay at home, avoid other people, or remotely work it might feel more difficult than usual to take care of your mental wellbeing.

We are going to share some…

Long post - click to read full text

Liz Drake
👍

Wed 18 Mar 2020, 00:02

Oxfordshire Mindfulness home meditation link

https://www.mindfulnesscic.co.uk/home-retreat/?mc_cid=551abd1e13&mc_eid=c1008774e7

Dave Heywood
👍 2

Tue 17 Mar 2020, 22:27

As my wife is pregnant, we’re working from home for the next twelve weeks (social distancing as opposed to isolation). So anything we can do to help/ interact with other human beings would be a welcome distraction 🙂

Jo Paton
👍 1

Tue 17 Mar 2020, 12:10

Many thanks Helen Holwill for your offer of delivery help. We may well need extra volunteers so that we can maintain communication to each house. If anyone else would like to offer to help with deliveries please let the Community Centre know as per the previous details and they can pass the information on to me. Thank you!

Helen Holwill
👍 1

Tue 17 Mar 2020, 11:17

If and when there is a leaflet to circulate, myself and my two boys would be happy to deliver around The Green/Ditchley Road area. It will be a good excuse for exercise!

Tanya Stevenson
👍 5

Mon 16 Mar 2020, 23:08 (last edited on Tue 17 Mar 2020, 00:33)

Charlie - yes credit card payments can be taken over the phone. Or people can build up a tab and pay later. The whole idea is to have no physical contact at all when goods are dropped off. Charlbury Co-op are being very helpful with this too, with practical help to make the scheme run smoothly. 

And yes Harriet, we also hope to have a team of volunteers (maybe healthy over 70s who are stuck at home?) who can ring people for a chat, friendship and support. 

The idea of helping with technology is also being discussed. After Wednesday’s meeting with ATIC and others a co-ordinated message will go out, including a leaflet with the Leaflet. Lots of Chalbury organisations are working together to make sure we look after each other. It's heartening to see.

Tony Morgan
👍

Mon 16 Mar 2020, 22:10 (last edited on Mon 16 Mar 2020, 22:16)

Good

Liz Drake
👍 4

Mon 16 Mar 2020, 21:38

We are very lucky to live in a caring place. Thanks to everyone for all they are doing through local Whats apps, video conferencing offers, community centre, this site and more. 

We also have great technical talent locally, can we tap into it and harness it to support people better please? Can we think about how we share technology with those who don't have access to it easily to help ease comms and isolation? Some thoughts on how we can have this site help us all, please can we have pages/ threads on:

1) Offering and asking for help. Does what it says on the tin!

2) Kids: Sharing useful links/ sites for if we are under home isolation?  Tech links for people to set up online classrooms and playdates?

3) Well being: Sharing info/ sites that can help peoples physical, mental and emotional health (some things on FB page already)

4) Escape: Online Quiz!/ Music/ Book recommendations etc?

Just a few thoughts...take care all!

Harriet Baldwin
👍 7

Sun 15 Mar 2020, 10:40

It's more than just needing to shop. If the suggested 3 month isolation goes ahead some people will need phone calls just to have someone to talk to. Even for a 2 week isolation this will probably be necessary for some people. 

Charlie M
👍 1

Sun 15 Mar 2020, 09:16

Tanya, I wonder if the Community Centre can accept Credit Card Payments?
Because if so, those who are vulnerable could email or phone in with what they need and then be contacted for their card details, meaning that their food etc. could be left at their door without *any* human contact whatsoever?

Just a thought.

Meryl Smith
👍 2

Sun 15 Mar 2020, 08:54

Representatives of All Together In Charlbury (ATIC), the Churches, the Community Centre and Town Council will be meeting as soon as possible to discuss ways of co-ordinating support efforts.

Kim Sale
👍

Sat 14 Mar 2020, 19:11

What a great idea. Proud to be part of such a caring community ❤️

Meraud Hand
👍

Sat 14 Mar 2020, 17:22

Thank you. We are so lucky to have you all.

Tanya Stevenson
👍 4

Sat 14 Mar 2020, 16:42

I am busy today drafting a leaflet and information about what the Community Centre can offer and I will post a news item shortly. In the meantime, you can contact the centre as per Marjorie's message below and someone will help you. The plan is that the Thomas Gifford Trust will pay for the shopping up front and collect the money later when things have settled down as we think exchanging cash at the door would not be safe. There may be other ways we can help too and I'm sure that will evolve as we go along.

Meraud Hand
👍 1

Sat 14 Mar 2020, 15:01

Maybe you could put a banner on your main page giving the Community Centre number, email and info, as in Marjorie's post?

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 1

Sat 14 Mar 2020, 14:55

I'd be happy to hear suggestions as to how the Charlbury website could potentially help in gathering/co-ordinating offers of help.

Meraud Hand
👍

Sat 14 Mar 2020, 14:53

There's a growing list of support networks: list below in case people want to find help for friends and family elsewhere.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18P898HWbdR5ouW61sAxW_iBl3yiZlgJu0nSmepn6NwM/edit#gid=1451634215

This is the central Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/CovidAidUK/

Helen C
👍

Fri 13 Mar 2020, 12:32

This is great to hear. We have planned for some time in the house. Just good to hear there are already people thinking about the vulnerable folk in our community.  

Marjorie Glasgow
👍 5

Fri 13 Mar 2020, 09:44

Thanks, Helen.  The Charlbury Community Centre will organise volunteers and staff to deliver items from the local shop as needed.  If you or someone you know is self isolated and would need a few food items, please contact the Community Centre on 01608 811 878.  Equally, anyone who would like to volunteer to help, please call the Centre or email Daniela Jenkins at info@charlburycommunitycentre.org.uk.  I'm sure ATIC will be doing many more things to help as well.

Helen C
👍 1

Fri 13 Mar 2020, 09:09

As we have been told by the government to expect the situation in the UK to get worse over the coming weeks and months are there things we can put in place in our community to support those who may be more isolated? It could be as simple as doing an online shop for an elderly neighbour or sharing contact details. Any ideas?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.