Mystery white fluffy fur stuff around Charlbury

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Sat 29 Jun 2019, 22:50

It's all gone now from our muttwalk routes... have to keep an eye out and collect a sample next year if it re-appears! Ideal nest making material for the post asteroid dinosaurs though.

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Thu 27 Jun 2019, 22:39

I forget that I'm carrying a pretty high res camera around with me most of the time. Yup an old fogey. If any left photo some. Find it hard to believe vegetable in origin but open to persuasion... My best bet was deer moulting...

Deborah Longshaw
👍

Wed 26 Jun 2019, 13:21

....or could be a dog owner/s who groom their long haired canine companions out doors. I must admit I became very concerned a couple of years back when I kept coming across large clumps of what appeared to be hair (my first thought was that it was the result of a dog fight, or even worse - a fox having procured something extremely hairy!!). It was only when I happened to mention it to a fellow dog walker (whose dog was a golden retriever) that she ‘fessed up’ that she always took the opportunity during the summer to groom her dog on their dog walks, that way no hair in the house! 

Andrew Greenfield
👍

Wed 26 Jun 2019, 10:55

Yes, most likely poplars.

When I worked at Begbroke a long time ago, probably 1984 or 1985, at what is now the relatively new Oxford University Science Park, there was a huge dump of poplar "fluff" which was photographed by one of the local newspapers.

One of the young staff was pictured sitting in many inches of it, looking just like a snow storm.  It was very soon gone as far as I can remember, and I have never seen anything quite like it since.

Angus B
👍

Wed 26 Jun 2019, 10:04

Poplars?

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Tue 25 Jun 2019, 23:36

Willow seeds?

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Tue 25 Jun 2019, 18:43

Anyone else noticed clufts of a downy white fur on all the usual dogwalk fields edges around the area? Including dome on the tarmacced footpath between 9 Acres and the Spelsbury centre, along the wall-lined pathwat. I suspect underside fur from moulting deer but wasn't expecting it along an enclosed footpath.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.