Tits on my nuts, but what other species are around?

john h
👍

Sun 7 Jul, 13:15

Young vixen seen sauntering down Hughes Close recently, with a brown chicken in her mouth. So if you are missing a brown hen,she unfortunately ended up as a foxes family meal.    JH

Rhona Walker
👍

Sun 7 Jul, 13:13

We occasionally get foxes in Hixet Wood.  I saw one crossing the road from Lee Place a couple of weeks ago.

stephen cavell
👍

Sun 7 Jul, 07:23

The last fox I saw Miles was about 7 years ago in what is now your garden, it crossed our garden and jumped into (yours) - in fact a pair of them were there for a couple of days.

Miles Walkden
👍

Sat 6 Jul, 15:12

Saw a fox in Charlbury last night. First I’ve seen here in years. 

Robin Taylor
👍 1

Thu 4 Jul, 18:35

We are getting tits and finches on ours, and today a nuthatch, Miles, but when we first put it out, it took a while for the birds to find it. 

Unfortunately, a clever rook has found it too, and swings on the feeder to spill some hearts out onto the ground, for it and its friends to hoover up.

Helen Chapman
👍 2

Thu 4 Jul, 15:40

Is that an African or a European swallow?

Miles Walkden
👍

Thu 4 Jul, 15:35

Put sunflower Hearts up - not a nibble! Wrong time of year.

stephen cavell
👍

Fri 28 Jun, 07:03

Not an alcoholic swallow Jaime at 1018 in the morning?

Jaime Le Bouton
👍 2

Thu 27 Jun, 10:18

I’ve just been enjoying a swallow in the garden.

stephen cavell
👍

Wed 26 Jun, 19:57

Mike - I always refer to jackdaws as 'the street boys of the bird world' - they are clever/intelligent!

Neil V.
👍

Wed 26 Jun, 13:18

I’m pleased to report hearing a cuckoo several times over the last month. We also have a regular visiting Jay, and a constantly circling Red Kite. At the top of Woody Lane.

Miles Walkden
👍

Wed 26 Jun, 12:37

The unruly Clattering of Jackdaws, currently bullying the more nerdy birds of Charlbury, is driving me mad with their incessant tchacking. 

stephen cavell
👍

Wed 26 Jun, 08:39

At this moment I have between 40 - 50 Jackdaws on my lawn competing with a dozen pigeons for something the rain has brought to the surface! Meanwhile a robin and blackbird fight over the feeder.  Too many cats around.

Veronica Stallwood
👍

Tue 25 Jun, 12:12

Blackcap, long-tailed tits, goldfinches and a songthrush as well many of those mentioned below.

Rosemary Bennett
👍 1

Mon 24 Jun, 21:27

Deborah, I have not heard a cuckoo for a couple of years. We used to have thrushes on our garden steps bashing the life out of snails, sadly, no longer. Greatly missed. Not even seen a robin as often as we used to, and goldfinches are rarely seen here now. Blackbirds a plenty, thank goodness for them.

Alice Brander
👍

Mon 24 Jun, 16:13

I can only add Thrushes down by the stream and a Tree creeper.  In Sandford Park we have a resident Pheasant!  I've seen the Green Woodpecker scuttling along the ground picking up the dropped sunflower hearts.   It's never boring.

Miles Walkden
👍

Mon 24 Jun, 11:25

Great - Siskins, Greenfinch, Bullfinch and especially Nuthatch would all be very welcome. I will get some sunflower hearts. Thanks. 

Deborah Longshaw
👍

Mon 24 Jun, 11:13

I find it very sad & a sign of the times that the cuckoo we once use to hear up by the quarry in Ticknell Piece, heralding in the beginning of Spring, does not appear to have returned over the past couple of years. 

Would be interested to know if anyone else has heard or have had sight of one recently in the area?

Peter Bridgman
👍

Mon 24 Jun, 09:31

No woodpeckers, Jays or Thrushes, but I can add Goldfinches on my sunflower seeds

Steven Fairhurst Jones
👍 1

Sun 23 Jun, 22:59

We see the occasional nuthatch and jay in Wychwood Paddocks. 

Robin Taylor
👍 1

Sun 23 Jun, 22:32

We get chaffinches, greenfinches and occasionally bullfinches, and we get siskins in winter. They all seem to like sunflower hearts.(and the bullfinches like our fruit blossom as well!)

Miles Walkden
👍

Sun 23 Jun, 18:03

Thanks Richard. Yes seen all of them (and a wonderful Green Woodpecker nest by the bridge with young heads poking out), but I’m looking for garden birds. 

Richard Tebbutt
👍

Sun 23 Jun, 17:59

Jackdaws and wood pigeons. The best of British bird life. Plenty of swifts and martins around though and grey wagtails and an egret down by the river. 

Miles Walkden
👍

Sun 23 Jun, 10:37

We have just moved within Charlbury and I am trying to establish a garden full of birds again. So far we have mostly the usual suspects - Cole -blue-great tits, robin, goldfinches, black birds, sparrows and dunnocks, woodpeckers,  in the old house, thrushes, starlings, long tail tits, the odd wren. 

What else have people had regularly in their garden? Tips for specific birds they know are found in Charlbury? 

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2019. Contributions are the opinion of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.