The state of the Mill Field

Tony H Merry
👍

Sat 22 Jun 2019, 17:29

Thanks very much to everyone for your comments it nice to know how much the work is appreciated.  However this would not have been possible without the planning and organisation of the Cotswold Voluntary Wardens work parties by Gerry Simper so also thanks to them for their effort and expertise.

The work has also been supported by Charlbury Town Council

If anyone is interested and might like to join us just follow this link https://www.cotswoldsaonb.org.uk/looking-after/volunteering/

Miranda Higham
👍

Fri 21 Jun 2019, 17:26

New or old, I'm pleased to have found it at last!

Alan Cobb
👍

Fri 21 Jun 2019, 08:54

The permissive path up to the cemetery, bypassing Pound Hill, is not new, it  has been there for years (I have mentioned it on here several times).  What is new is the work recently done to improve it so that it can be used in wet weather.

Miranda Higham
👍

Fri 21 Jun 2019, 06:43

I used the newly permissive path last night, avoiding Pound Hill. It has been so thoughtfully created to keep us safer. We are so fortunate to have so many wonderful walks on our doorsteps. Thank you Wardens. 

Helen Holwill
👍 2

Wed 19 Jun 2019, 18:26

I didn't know about this, so thanks for sharing. Thanks also to everyone for all the hard work.

Sue Normand
👍 2

Wed 19 Jun 2019, 11:24

Thats great work and much appreciated.  Makes a lovely circular walk. Well done all.

Liz Puttick
👍 4

Mon 17 Jun 2019, 20:40

Another upvote for the new footpath, what a lovely walk. Many thanks to Tony & Wardens for your dedication and hard work building bridges, laying stepping stones, cutting a swathe through the flowering meadows.

john h
👍 2

Mon 17 Jun 2019, 16:58

So will we have to call it "not so Watery Lane" . Beats the idea some years ago of putting tarmac down so that walkers did not get their feet wet.. Well done C V  W. 

Ali Ross
👍 12

Fri 14 Jun 2019, 16:04

I clicked on this half expecting a classic Charlbury rant, but delighted to find it's a paean to the quiet efforts of those who work to keep our town such a wonderful place. I was inspired immediately to take to the Mill Field and discover the new path.

Well done Tony and the Wardens (such a great band back in the day)! 

Peter Kenrick
👍 9

Thu 13 Jun 2019, 20:13 (last edited on Thu 13 Jun 2019, 20:14)

You are right Michael, this is no accident.  Two separate things have been going on and much credit for initiating both of these is due to Tony Merry.

Firstly, as part of the new management plan for Mill Field adopted by the Town Council last year, boarding has been installed in the bank of the Mill Cut close to the sluice to prevent the regular flooding that occurred at the lower end of the field.

Secondly, work has been carried out by the Cotswold Voluntary Wardens to improve the footpath from Jubilee Bridge to Water Lane and also to "encourage" a small stream in this area back to its proper course rather than collecting on Water Lane making that route impassable.  This work is part of an initiative related to Charlbury's designation as a Cotswold Gateway Town.  This work has helped to establish a safe circular walk along Mill Field returning to Charlbury via Water Lane.  The Cotswold Wardens have also done magnificent work to provide a final section to this walk on a permissive path avoiding the need to walk up Pound Hill which has no pavement and very little verge.  The permissive path goes through a kissing gate opposite the triangle at the end of Water Lane, crosses a stream via a brand new wooden bridge and then continues up to the cemetery.  A new fence has been installed here too to separate walkers from cattle.

So many thanks to Tony and to the Cotswold Voluntary Wardens.

Enjoy!

Michael Flanagan
👍 4

Thu 13 Jun 2019, 16:59

Almost a whole week of seemingly relentless rain. But the Mill Field's still just a bit wet. And Watery Lane's slippery - but nowhere near the quagmire it's been after a downpour for as long as I can remember. 

This isn't an accident. Someone's clearly been doing serious hydrology, at the same time as improving the footpaths.

Well done, whoever those someones are. Almost makes up for the miserable weather. 

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.