Union of South Africa

William Crossley
👍 1

Sat 23 Feb 2019, 10:33

No need to wait until June for another steam train fix!

Newly-restored GWR Castle class loco 7029 Clun Castle is due to run along the line on Saturday, March 9, and Saturday, April 6, heading back to Birmingham after excursions to Oxford. 

Timings for March 9 show it leaving Oxford at 17.39, so probably passing Charlbury around 18.00. The April trip looks likely to be on the same schedule. http://www.vintagetrains.co.uk/tour/cotswold-explorer-with-no-7029-clun-castle-saturday-9th-march/28

The Castles powered Cotswold Line expresses up to the end of steam on the route in 1963. There's a picture here of Clun Castle on a test trip at Stratford-upon-Avon on Thursday http://www.petertandy.co.uk

Rod Evans
👍 2

Mon 18 Feb 2019, 10:04

Great stuff - I have a 2 minute video of it leaving if anyone would like it.

There was a rather unhappy little girl ahead of us as we left - took me back to standing on the platform at Stratford on Avon aged 4 or 5 desperately clinging to a parental leg as this enormous hissing, steaming, clanking, smoking and apparently fire breathing and very noisy monster came past just feet away - it must have been alive!

Simon Walker
👍 3

Sat 16 Feb 2019, 20:58

Just part of the service, folks.  It was really great to see just how many people came to enjoy an evening out at the station - and it's not too often that you can say that !

The next Cotswold Venturer steam special will be on Saturday 15th June.  It will just be passing through on its way from Oxford to Worcester in the morning, and will not be returning along this line.  The engine is scheduled to be ........... Flying Scotsman.

Jackie Hague
👍 1

Sat 16 Feb 2019, 19:43

I agree, Hannen, it was terrific to see one of the magnificent engines of the steam era.  Lovely to see all the children too with parents and grandparents.

Hannen Beith
👍 1

Sat 16 Feb 2019, 18:18

Many thanks to Simon Walker for alerting us to this.  Personal thanks to Simon for keeping me updated.

What a splendid sight, and lovely community atmosphere.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.