British Trust for Ornithology (BTO)

Judy Anders
👍 2

Fri 1 Mar 2019, 08:47 (last edited on Fri 1 Mar 2019, 08:48)

The Wychwood Project Bird Aid Group are looking for volunteers please

Farmland bird populations have declined by almost half since 1970, due to a variety of factors, including changes in farming practices. The Wychwood Bird Aid project (set up by Louise Spicer of Charlbury) aims to support feeding farmland birds through the winter, including tree sparrows, corn buntings, linnets and yellowhammers. There are more than 10 feeding sites on local farms, including in Charlbury with volunteers distributing seed and doing bird counts. Oilseed rape, millet and crushed wheat are fed on a daily basis, both spread on the ground and in hanging feeders. The birds have different requirements - yellowhammers need starch-based foods such as millet; linnets need oil-based foods such as rapeseed. If you would like to be involved with supporting this project, counting birds, or have a site that could be suitable for feeding farmland birds, please contact Judy at judy.anders66@gmail.com.

Sandy Fairhurst
👍 1

Mon 18 Feb 2019, 23:08

One visits the feeders in my garden, generally waiting in the bushes. I haven't noticed any aggressive behaviour. Was stunned to see him, since where I lived  ( north of here) till recently, the blackcaps were summer visitors. 

Peter Bridgman
👍 1

Mon 18 Feb 2019, 22:25

I have a resident blackcap in my garden.  He has been around for about two weeks.  It is lovely to see him but he is very agressive to other small birds and attacks then whenever they come to my feeders. This includes blue, great, cole and longtailed tits. In fact I witnessed a real set-to between him and a cole tit, but the blackcap won!  He  comes for a feed and then he sits in a nearby bush and attacks everything else. I sometimes wish he would go away.  By the way, I know it is a male because the female has a lighter cap.

Nick Johnson
👍 2

Sun 17 Feb 2019, 18:08

I've got a Blackcap which comes to my bird table most mornings

Hannen Beith
👍 1

Sat 16 Feb 2019, 10:44

Thanks Jon.  Please feel free to email me directly - if you still have my address!  :-)

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍 1

Sat 16 Feb 2019, 08:43

I'll email you as you ask, Hannen, but meanwhile, yes, there are lots of people here working with and for birds in one way or another. The facebook group Wychwood Birders is also useful.

Hannen Beith
👍 2

Fri 15 Feb 2019, 18:03

Does anyone else in Charlbury belong to this organisation?  

I've been inputting data about Tawny Owls for a few months now.  

The newsletter is really good.  We have been asked to look out for winter Blackcaps, but I confess I'm not sure what I'm looking for!  I shall have to email the BTO, or rely on Google.

There are all sorts of initiatives and help e.g. with nest boxes - very important at this time of year.

Selborne the cuckoo is on his way back from Ghana to this country.  A mere 3000 miles as the cuckoo flies.  Selborne took a shortcut across the Gulf of Guinea, but I doubt he'll be penalised. ;-)  

There is also now a very interesting Schools initiative - Chris Packham is one of the sponsors.  The BTO are asking schools to encourage their pupils to dig up their playing fields (!) to see if they can find worms and other invertebrates.  Recent research has indicated that because of climate change the population of the wigglies is declining and this will impact on our birds.  It's a great way of encouraging children to be more environmentally aware, and they will be making a difference.

It would be great to share endeavours and research with others.  I'm thinking of note comparing initially.

The research can be as demanding as you want it to be.  I particularly like the Tawny Owl survey as I can just lie in bed with the window slightly open!

Please email me here if you'd like more information.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.