Poor freeview reception

Andrew Greenfield
👍

Thu 14 Feb 2019, 16:43 (last edited on Thu 14 Feb 2019, 16:44)

Have a good read through the Thread at https://www.charlbury.info/forum/5280#30614 in this forum where there are some useful phone numbers to contact.

We had big problems after the total retune on May 23 last year but it all seems solved now after calling the Freeview help number 0808 100 0288 and technicians arrived and seemed to solve the problem by removing two old unused aerials from the same mast as the supposed live aerial, which did not help, then replacing the one remaining aerial with what they thought was a higher gain aerial.

They also checked that we had the required 4G mobile phone filter in the line, which we did, but they replaced that just in case it was faulty.

Now, thank goodness, we get a very good signal 99% of the time with only occasional breakup and loss of signal on BBC SD channels; the BBC HD channels are all good even when we lose the SD version, which seems very strange, though they are on completely different UHF channels.

This is apparently progress!

Huw Mallins-Brown
👍

Thu 14 Feb 2019, 16:20

Are you using the Charlbury relay transmitter ( aerial pointing towards the station ) or  the Oxford transmitter?  I now have no problem with the Oxford transmitter, but had a number of issues post  Christmas 2018 ( random drop out of channels ) when my aerial was tuned to Charlbury relay. I had a new aerial fitted and aligned to Oxford.

Heather Williams
👍

Thu 14 Feb 2019, 15:17

it went off this morning from about 7-7.30 no signal not sure if the fog had anything to do with it.

john h
👍

Thu 14 Feb 2019, 14:56

For what it is worth, there were problems at Milton -u- Wychwood way yesterday

Geoff Holmberg
👍

Thu 14 Feb 2019, 12:26

Yes - not serious yet  but breaking up very occasionally. But the HD signal - which includes Al Jazeira is unwatchable except at weekends.

Interference maybe?

David Thomas
👍

Wed 13 Feb 2019, 20:47

Interested to hear if others have noticed a degradation in Freeview signal quality over the last couple of weeks.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2023. Contributions are the opinion of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.