Charlbury mentioned in yesterday's Telegraph.

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Sun 23 Dec 2018, 10:35

Here is a perfect example of what I am saying below...Update nofification received on 21.12.2018
"The following results have been updated recently:
Saved Search Results
"elm stead" Planning Application 19-Feb-2016 10:42 AM"

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Sat 22 Dec 2018, 12:53

Somewhat superficial, by the looks of it, Telegraph report. Maybe not suffering the mass building programme of Witney, but the 'death by a thousand cuts' approach that has been allowed in Charlbury is just as lethal, much slower, and relatively equally destructive.

Wendy Bailey
👍

Tue 18 Dec 2018, 12:11

Indeed we are lucky to have the choice of 4 pubs, 3 of which offer food and entertainment as well.

Michael Flanagan
👍

Tue 18 Dec 2018, 10:16

"the thatched Plough Inn, a proper local that is hard to find in the twee'd up Cotswolds these days"

Proper local hard to find in the Cotswolds!!!!. We've got the best local in the Cotswolds just two doors away from our "excellent" Deli.

If it doesn't offend the Marxist sensitivities of the Forum's followership, I urge Charlburians to swamp the comment section of the Telegraph column Hannen's given you the URL for. Tell it how wonderful the Rose is.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Tue 18 Dec 2018, 09:47

A couple of excerpts:

"I suspect most tourists would head further west on the A40 dual carriageway towards pretty Burford. Instead, I've chosen the lesser-travelled B4022, north to Charlbury. This road could have been built for an armchair saloon like the Jaguar, with gentle bends that bypass pretty Ramsden and Finstock along the way.

"The latter is home to the thatched Plough Inn, a proper local that is hard to find in the twee'd up Cotswolds these days. Apart from a log fire and bar billiards on a cold winter's afternoon, there's an Aunt Sally in the back garden and exceptional fish and chips.

"Untouched by A-roads, Charlbury is a town that seems to have escaped the mass building programme that has afflicted Witney. It's just off the beaten track, tucked away on a back road to Chipping Norton (or 'Chippy' if you're a local).

"This is just the sort of place you would hope to find an excellent cafe and the Charlbury Deli doesn't disappoint. Most of the produce comes from local suppliers and there's a mean pastrami, swiss cheese and gherkin sandwich on offer. For a more chi-chi atmosphere, the Bull Inn has flamboyant soft furnishings and Farrow & Ball colours."

Hannen Beith
👍

Mon 17 Dec 2018, 12:28

A delightful article which has a photo of Charlbury and praises the Deli and The Bull.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/features/great-british-drives-queen-mothers-1973-jaguar-xj12-around-cotswolds/

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.