Clearing the leaves

Hannen Beith
👍

Mon 19 Nov 2018, 18:12

Me too!

Russell Ingham
👍

Mon 19 Nov 2018, 17:25

Martin (Lee Place Est Mgr) cleared the notorious Hixet Wood path totally on his own last Saturday albeit with the help of some big hands!- I for one thank him.

Simon Walker
👍

Fri 16 Nov 2018, 13:18

To be fair to Martin - the property manager at Lee Place - in the past he has come out to help us sweep the pavements along that stretch of road. In reality, though, at this time of year it really does need attention more frequently than is currently scheduled, even if it's only brushing a path clear so that the leaves and other debris don't get too ground in to the pavement surface.

Phil Morgan
👍

Fri 16 Nov 2018, 12:12

I couldn't agree more James. In an ideal world, landowners would take responsibility for the leaf and debris falling from their trees onto the pavements and roadways on their boundaries.
Unfortunately,landowners are only responsible for obstructions. It is for County and District Councils to clear pavements and roads of leaf and debris.
The Working Party was formed some years ago in order to counter the shortfall in Council funding for this service which results in a 'messy' town. The idea of civic pride is fundamental to the Volunteers.
I don't know whether the proprietor of Lee Place is a reader of our Forum. There is an obvious opportunity here for the owner of the property in question to pick up the baton and take responsibility.

James Styring
👍

Fri 16 Nov 2018, 08:56

In places like Hixet Wood where the leaves are all from trees on one property (Lee Place), would it not be fair to ask the landowner to clear the leaves up? Same goes for the mini-leaf-fall outside the Bull.

Roy Coates
👍

Tue 13 Nov 2018, 16:26

The work done by Phil Morgan and the 'Working Party' members on leaf clearing, particularly here on the Playing Close is very much appreciated. Many thanks to them all.

Phil Morgan
👍

Tue 13 Nov 2018, 12:00 (last edited on Tue 13 Nov 2018, 12:01)

A great turn-out on Sat 3rd Nov at the Playing Close. We sent 9 bulk bags of leaves to the WODC compost bins.
Next fixtures: Sunday 18th November, 11am, Playing Close again.
: Saturday 1st December, 11am, Hixet Wood + pavement below Wellington Cottages.
"Working Party" members and new volunteers are welcome. As usual, rakes, brooms and scoops are the best kit to bring.
As we are working on the highway, hi-vis is necessary. If you haven't got it, I'll bring a supply.

Hannen Beith
👍

Tue 30 Oct 2018, 11:23

Yes. Thanks to all the "leaf clearers". Much safer now.

Phil Morgan
👍

Mon 29 Oct 2018, 13:48

Thanks to the 14 sturdy people who turned out on Sunday morning. Job done on Hixet Wood in just an hour! Almost 50% women which is really encouraging.
Two people turned up with these new stand-up scissor-grabs - they are brilliant!
See you on the Playing Close on Saturday morning?

Phil Morgan
👍

Fri 26 Oct 2018, 15:49

Having surveyed the Playing Close and Hixet Wood earlier today, it seems that Hixet Wood is the more urgent case so we've swapped dates; Hixet Wood this Sunday at 11am and the Playing Close next Sat (3rd Nov) at 11am.

Phil Morgan
👍

Thu 25 Oct 2018, 17:30

The leaf fall has begun in earnest. Pavements around the Playing Close and at the top of Hixet Wood are disappearing under the debris.
The Charlbury "Working Party" of volunteers will be out Sunday 28th October to do a clean-up on the Playing Close.
Please join us if you can from 11.00am. Further dates are posted on the "Working Party" button at the top left of this page.
Rakes, snow shovels and scoops have proved effective for this work.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.