Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Mon 15 Oct 2018, 00:25

This may be of interest: "Sweden offers glimpse of a world without Amazon"
https://www.politico.eu/article/sweden-amazon-competition-ecommerce/

Hannen Beith
👍

Sun 14 Oct 2018, 11:55

£10,000 to Amazon. £50 to the TG Trust. It's pretty clear who wins here and I'll give you a hint: It's not the charity.
Worse still is the psychology. I've "done my bit" by using Amazon Smile, so why should I give any more or support any other fundraising initiative? To say nothing of the free advertising for Amazon.

Jon Jones
👍

Sat 13 Oct 2018, 21:13

Having worked for a charity, Amazon smile is a cracking source of revenue. I feel it wrong to criticise their remuneration practices given they are meeting their legal obligation and will be providing a pay rise. Tanya makes a fair point that we may as well get what we can. But they are doing nothing illegal so let's support a local charity thorough an activity we also do. Even if it is the TG Trust.

Hannen Beith
👍

Sat 13 Oct 2018, 13:04

I think Tim has a very good point. Having just looked at the Amazon site I see that I can get 16 Birthday Cards, with envelopes, for £10. Delivered tomorrow.
I could also have (tomorrow) a "picture framing kit" for £17. Although my experience of "kits" has never been a happy one. Any encouragement, however well intentioned, to go online threatens the few local businesses we have left.
Amazon's track record regarding its employees is not good, to say the least.
The request by the CC reminds me of Lincoln's Gettysburg address: "government of the people, by the people, for the people." So why hand over funding, even it's a small percentage, to others? Let's keep this in Charlbury. Today we are governed not by politicians but by big businesses. They are insidious and ruthless.
"If you sup with the devil, use a long spoon".

Tanya Stevenson
👍

Fri 12 Oct 2018, 22:26

Nobody is trying to persuade anybody to use Amazon. But if you already do, and many do, then we might as well get a bit of their money for our community. The original post was changed because Tim had a point and we should have exhorted people to please buy Local if you can.

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Fri 12 Oct 2018, 18:39

Whatever Amazon might donate to the trust, it won't be as much as the profit made, tax free, for......Amazon. They are very clever, and this is about the most manipulative and disingenuous sales pitch I have ever seen!

Sue Normand
👍

Fri 12 Oct 2018, 17:54

Agree with you - my opinion is that Amazon don't treat their employees well or pay full taxes, so last resort..

Tim at Cotswold Frames
👍

Fri 12 Oct 2018, 15:31 (last edited on Fri 12 Oct 2018, 15:58)

thankyou for adding the "if you can't find what your looking for in town" to your original listing

which for those that didn't see it was as follows:-

Shop at AmazonSmile and support your Community Centre
Thomas Gifford Trust is now a registered charity with AmazonSmile, so every time you shop @AmazonSmile, Amazon will make a donation to The Thomas Gifford Trust to support Charlbury Community Centre. The centre needs and appreciates your support. Thank you.
daniela jenkins • Fri 12 Oct 2018, 12:44 • Link

Tim at Cotswold Frames
👍

Fri 12 Oct 2018, 13:58

I'm all for the "Community Centre " searching for new ways to raise funds to help keep it going, but have to confess that asking the town to " shop online " is not what I would call "community spirited", I appreciate that people do shop online all the time but it would of been nice for their news announcements to include something along the lines as "should you not be able to find what you are looking for in our local shops then please do use the amazon smile site which will help benefit the "Community centre".

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.