The stump in the churchyard

nigel rosser
👍

Tue 4 Sep 2018, 17:20

Is that the end of the stump removal?

Peter Bridgman
👍

Tue 4 Sep 2018, 13:14

This tree is,or was, a Thuja plicata, with the common name "Western Red Cedar " It is native to the western side of USA and Canada. It typically throws out low spreading branches and it seems that this was its undoing, as it was unable to support them. I think it very unlikely that it will regrow from its bas. The only conifer that I know capable of regrowth from the base is the coast redwood Sequoia sempervirens which also grows on western USA seaboard and is the tallest tree in the world (375ft)Given suitable conditions. I leave it to others to decide if it should be replaced!

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Tue 4 Sep 2018, 09:43

Not sure where the idea that it's a cedar has come from? But I'm sure the experts were right when they said it's bad for chimneys.

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Mon 3 Sep 2018, 14:42

I'm still wondering if a big stump like this can be allowed to regenerate or whether the exposed wood shorn of its protective bark will just rot? It's certainly vigorously sprouting - there were more visible yesterday just a few days later than when I first saw it. If it doesn't become a danger - branches in the future dropping off a hollowed stump, say - then becoming a hollowed stump may not be such a bad thing, providing nesting habitat etc. Get the Town Council to subsidise the acquisition of a pair of owls?

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Sun 2 Sep 2018, 23:49

Walking past the tree this evening, from the footpath to the north it looks just like the famous Churchillian finger symbol. No doubt from the south it looks different.

Jackie Hague
👍

Sun 2 Sep 2018, 11:14

Ask local wood carvers to create carved statuary for the churchyard in return for a large log or two.

Huw Mallins-Brown
👍

Sat 1 Sep 2018, 22:25

I find that Cedar is excellent for kindling an open fire. However as a main fuel source, even when seasoned it spits and (similarly to pine) quickly coats the flue / chimney walls with tar and other heavy hydocarbon deposits.

Simon Walker
👍

Sat 1 Sep 2018, 22:04

Good idea, Susie, about using some of the timber for benches, and not only in the burial ground.

As for cedar not being suitable for firewood, it seems that it all depends on how you use it. In a woodburner for preference, since it spits a lot as it burns, and better still, burn it mixed with some hardwood logs because it does contain natural creosote/tar that can condense in the chimney. Presumably the tar is what helps make it good for building long-life greenhouses and roofing shingles with.

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Sat 1 Sep 2018, 18:49

Can't they be made into benches for use in the cemetery?

Leah Fowler
👍

Sat 1 Sep 2018, 15:09

The tree fellas say it is not suitable for firewood as there is too much tar in it.

Heather Williams
👍

Sat 1 Sep 2018, 15:04

Also with all the wood still piled up in the graveyard, what about getting it chopped up and given out to people who need it for their fires,or bag it up and sell it towards Church Funds?? Just an idea if practical.

Tim at Cotswold Frames
👍

Sat 1 Sep 2018, 14:32 (last edited on Sat 1 Sep 2018, 14:34)

there are some great ideas on google images and pinterest of carved tree trunks one in particular carving was of a person kneeling on a base of the tree trunk holding up the top part of the trunk

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/351140102192649963/

Liz Drake
👍

Sat 1 Sep 2018, 10:56

Could it be carved into a nice Charlbury totem?!

Leah Fowler
👍

Fri 31 Aug 2018, 21:21

A pleasure Pearl

Pearl Manners
👍

Fri 31 Aug 2018, 18:27 (last edited on Sun 2 Sep 2018, 11:36)

Thank you so much Leah , that's lovely and very kind of you.I'm overwhelmed by such meaningful words of comfort
(Unrelated to Tree)

Leah Fowler
👍

Fri 31 Aug 2018, 07:01 (last edited on Fri 31 Aug 2018, 08:47)

It is awaiting non-emergency surgery

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Thu 30 Aug 2018, 22:28

We noticed it was sprouting a t'top, presumably a very well established root system. What about rot setting in on the sawn off limbs though - will it it regrow or decay from the stumps and need cutting back again? I'd assumed thelot was going to be removed and perhaps the stump cleared patch re-tree'd. You can get some big trees from plantations from others I've seen replanted.

nigel rosser
👍

Thu 30 Aug 2018, 12:50

Is this Churchillian remnant remaining? Either a broken tree or a stump. The in-between is odd.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.