Evening birds

Hannen Beith
👍

Sun 26 Aug 2018, 12:18

Ah! Yes, my Wife was attacked in Cornwall a few months ago by a seagull which took her ice cream and left her with a bloody hand.

Simon Walker
👍

Sun 26 Aug 2018, 11:57

They certainly do, presumably more so when they are doing a long-distance flight rather than just swooping over the prom trying to share your fish-and-chips or prawn mayo sandwiches ....

Hannen Beith
👍

Sun 26 Aug 2018, 10:56

Thanks Simon. Do seagulls fly in V formation? When I've observed them at the seaside they seemed to be all over the place!

Simon Walker
👍

Sun 26 Aug 2018, 10:10

I don't think they were ducks - they looked more like seagulls to us, probably heading from one landfill site to another as the wet weather approached (or their food source (yum yum!) got covered over for the weekend). The black birds are probably jackdaws, which often arrive in flocks at the trees next to the Enstone Road allotments a bit before sundown, spend a few minutes flapping around and squawking, and then either settle down or move on to another roost for the night.

Hannen Beith
👍

Sun 26 Aug 2018, 09:38

The past two evenings I have seen flocks of "black" birds flying steadfastly North. I don't think they are a murmuration of starlings as there aren't enough of them and they fly too far apart.
This is then followed by ducks (I think) flying South at a higher altitude. Last night was amazing - strict formations including two "V" formations.
Can anyone enlighten me?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.