Congratulations!

Phil Morgan
👍

Thu 13 Sep 2018, 12:03

What! Dinosaurs in The Corner House? Richard, you might say that but I couldn't possibly comment...

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Tue 11 Sep 2018, 20:41

John, we can do better than elephants - we have dinosaurs in the Corner House!

Tony H Merry
👍

Tue 11 Sep 2018, 18:02

It seems the Spanish got there first! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-mhARDDCz8

In fact its not just a joke there is a farmer with Cotswold Sheep in Moreton on Marsh who will bring them if we get a performance licence! - but only for the day

Charlie M
👍

Tue 11 Sep 2018, 16:34

I think the sheep are an excellent idea. And all the sheep could be given a test, and the most intelligent sheep could be recruited as toll-keeper, and the toll-keeper could "BAA" anyone who refused to pay. :-)

russell robson
👍

Tue 11 Sep 2018, 15:37

Utopia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2twY8YQYDBE

john h
👍

Tue 11 Sep 2018, 10:54 (last edited on Tue 11 Sep 2018, 10:58)

We did have elephants walking down Enstone Rd many years ago! that turned out to be a good year for roses!!

Tony H Merry
👍

Tue 11 Sep 2018, 09:19

OK David that's it
Sheep on Sheep Street
Cows on Nine acres
Pigs on Market Street
Ponies on Enstone Road
(and hold your nose)

David Thomas
👍

Mon 10 Sep 2018, 22:59

Excellent Tony. The cows on Minchinhampton Common frequently wander into the village causing much 'fun' for the traffic.

Tony H Merry
👍

Mon 10 Sep 2018, 22:48

I think the answer is sheep. I am in favour of the Town having a flock of sheep and sheepdog which could be regularly taken around the Town. They could graze the |Mill Field but that would mean dogs on leads only I am afraid
Benefits would be traffic control less grass cutting required and lots of wool and lamb for the deli
What do people think?

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Mon 10 Sep 2018, 13:09

That's a brilliant idea, Russell! And I know just the place to recruit toll-keepers - the Thames lock-keepers made unemployed when the Canal & River Trust takes over the river...

russell robson
👍

Mon 10 Sep 2018, 12:44

Perhaps Charlbury Town Council could take ownership of the roads within the parish boundary.

You could then save roughly £50 per household on council tax, apply to parliament to enact tolls and then charge for using the bridge and roads through the town

I note one of the old toll houses is up for sale.

This would then have a three fold benefit.

Reduced through traffic
provide local road for local people
and employment for toll keepers a now lost career.

PS I think you'll find when the bridge is repair the weight limit will be increased.

Rachael Lunney
👍

Mon 10 Sep 2018, 12:27

I know car are going faster now, but it has bade a difference, as bus can now get by.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Mon 10 Sep 2018, 09:10

The guerrilla cones at the bottom of Nine Acres Lane have made it a whole bunch harder to cross the road on foot. The parked cars did a rudimentarily effective job of slowing traffic and forcing drivers to actually look where they were going before they slowly inched past. We are now back to cars haring round the corner without stopping or even indicating. Pushing a buggy across during the height of the school run this morning was not an enjoyable experience!

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Fri 7 Sep 2018, 17:35

Thank you Richard for the piece of information. Excuse the late response, we've been away.

David Cook
👍

Tue 4 Sep 2018, 10:52

Hi Philippa,I totally agree with your comments, a single yellow line with the same restrictions as per Dyers Hill would work. The placing of cones at the bottom of None Acres has made the parking situation even worst for residents. There two or three same cars belonging to commuters who are parked almost daily for reason I assume is to avoid the parking charges at the station. Commuters already pay extortionate rail fares, parking at the station should be free for daily rail users.

Philippa Phelan
👍

Tue 4 Sep 2018, 10:19

May I please ask if the traffic survey that was to look at volume as well as speed has now been completed? Also, I among many of Thames Street, Dyers Hill and Market Street want a camera to be installed for the weak bridge which will deter HGV traffic. A camera like the £20K ANPR camera over the medieval bridge at Newbridge would be a useful deterrent. It is also a separate issue from parking at the rail station. I don't think many would object to the building another storey where the parking is in the dip at the moment which was the original idea and why the lights are so high. In terms of parking along Nine Acres and Thames Street, I think a single yellow would work and I know the traffic warden has a list of VRNs from those living in Dyers Hill and turns a blind eye to their vehicles parked there all day. A pragmatic and community spirited solution albeit unorthodox and uncommon in this day and age.

Huw Mallins-Brown
👍

Thu 30 Aug 2018, 16:04

Amanda,

That must have been a long time ago. However, I have noticed that Church Lane also have their own supply of cones that come out for special occasions!

With respect to WODC enforcing parking restrictions, they operate under civil law, they don't issue Penalty Charge Notices which could be challenged in a Magistrates Court.

Amanda Epps
👍

Thu 30 Aug 2018, 15:06

Huw, you are obviously not aware of the saga of the Church Lane Three. These residents received parking fines for not moving their cars during the specified hour. They refused to pay, were taken to court and given an absolute discharge by the magistrates who said they had never heard of such a ridiculous system. OCC were told by the Town Council that it wouldn't work as most of the residents had no off-street parking. One couple were on holiday in New York when they were fined and anyone who worked away from home would be unable to move their car. In the area near Didcot Parkway where OCC had successfully used the system all the houses had long drives and garages. So no thanks to this system elsewhere.

Huw Mallins-Brown
👍

Thu 30 Aug 2018, 11:28

David,

This is someone trying to do something positive to improve, what has become a difficult junction for both traffic and pedestrians to negotiate. It is not a problem for you to continue to park there if you so wish.

From comments on this thread, residents parking seems to be unlikely, but if implemented resident's permits would almost certainly be chargeable. The likley option is the 1 hour oarking restriction during the day - which does not work when you have a car and are away for the day. It apoears to work on Dyers Hill and Church Lane, but probaly only because ithe parking warden only visits one day a week.

Live and let live with the cones

David Cook
👍

Thu 30 Aug 2018, 09:41

Liz Leffman can you advise what the Council position is with regard removing these cones in Nine Acres and outside the cemetery gates?

David Cook
👍

Thu 30 Aug 2018, 09:38

Philip
I am not interested in what they do in Tokyo, we cannot have people taking the law into their own hands. Whoever is placing the parking cones in Nine Acres is now causing additional parking issues in Thames Street. Residents could report cars without parking permits, no suggestion residents issue parking notices.

Philip Ambrose
👍

Wed 29 Aug 2018, 23:21

The no waiting cones have made a vast improvement to traffic flows.

The premise that " I live on X street" and must therefore have a place to park my car(s) is flawed. Some of Tokyo works on the opposite basis - you have to prove that you have an off street parking place for a car before you can buy one.

Sorry, but residents cannot self-police a residents only parking scheme. You would have no authority whatsoever to issue a violation notice / parking ticket.

David Cook
👍

Tue 28 Aug 2018, 19:52

I agree double lines would be a good idea but there has to be consideration for those residents who do not have off street parking in both Thames Street and Nine Acres. We need a residents parking permit scheme. This will deter the commuters, no need to police the residents bay daily this can be done by the residents.

Rachael Lunney
👍

Tue 28 Aug 2018, 19:25

I have to say, since the corns be there it been easier for bus and cars and lorry to get around. Also it a lot safer. It need double yellow line to stop a nasty accident

David Cook
👍

Tue 28 Aug 2018, 18:59

would the enterprising person who keeps taking the law into their own hands cease from placing no waiting cones at the bottom of nime acres. Being a resident of Thames Street with no off street parking the situation has become impossible to park in Thames Street.In addition the cones outside of the cemetery gates is also causing issues with elderly people visiting their relatives graves.
Liz, cannot the Council remove these cones?

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Mon 27 Aug 2018, 17:11

It'll be implemented with the 20mph limit for the rest of the town centre - we're waiting on the results of some speed surveys before that can happen.

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Mon 27 Aug 2018, 14:43

What happened to the 20mph restriction on Pooles Lane that was supposedly going to happen with the destruction of Elmstead garden? Could it be that it was just another deceit put about by the developer?

Philip Ambrose
👍

Sun 26 Aug 2018, 21:10

David, There was nothing pompous in what I said. I agree with you that rail commuters should use the station car park and not overspill into the nearby streets. Part of the reason I am opposed to Rushy Bank is that there may well be a need to further expand rail related parking. We are entitled to different opinions about the suitability of Thames Street for other parking, but parking on junctions is illegal and there should be some enforcement.

A 20moh limit in central Charlbury would be a good idea, largely self-enforcing due to all the parked cars. A 7.5 tonne HGV limit would likely be except for access, but who in their right mind would use a route through central Charlbury as a time saver?

I would also like to see a change in the law whereby pedestrian crossings in 20mph zones only need to be some white paint on the road, as one sees in other countries, rather than expensive ones with lights etc.

Liz Leffman
👍

Fri 24 Aug 2018, 12:32 (last edited on Sat 25 Aug 2018, 14:12)

Sorry not to have replied sooner, but I have been away. Yes, we are looking at all aspects of parking in the town, and we will be consulting on this as there is no way that anything can be changed without consultation. A 7.5 tonne restriction throughout the town could be considered, though we also have to consider the need for deliveries to the Co-op. There is a plan to introduce a 20mph limit across the town, which could act as a deterrent to heavy vehicles as HGV drivers will see this on satnav and might prefer another route. As far as residents' parking goes, the Conservatives are firmly against paying for parking so this would be heavily resisted even if the town wanted it. And yes, it would have to be managed by a full time traffic warden. Regarding parking charges at the station, this is outside the remit of the council as that is managed by Network Rail and GWR.

graham W
👍

Thu 23 Aug 2018, 17:30

We are all encouraged to use public transport, but as with any transport system it is not conveniently situated outside our homes, so we have to drive / taxi / cycle to these locations. Why not get rid of the parking charges, making everyone happy, the commuter and local residents.

David Cook
👍

Thu 23 Aug 2018, 16:13 (last edited on Thu 23 Aug 2018, 17:06)

Phillip no need to be so pompous, the solution is for rail commuters to use the parking facilities at the Charlbury railway station and not park on the street with the purpose of avoiding parking charges. The parking issues have worsened in Charlbury over the past three years and therefore West Oxfordshire should review their previous decision ref residents parking

Leah Fowler
👍

Thu 23 Aug 2018, 12:50

When Charlbury first had Yellow Lines (actually they were cream originally) we were told that you cannot have residents parking without a full time Traffic Warden, perhaps that has changed?

glena chadwick
👍

Thu 23 Aug 2018, 12:23

When I was a district councillor I had several tries over the years to get residents' parking for Church Lane (in particular). But the ruling group said they were totally against it in West Oxfordshire (their 'reasons' were too expensive. too complicated etc.). It was some time ago---perhaps things are different now.

Philip Ambrose
👍

Thu 23 Aug 2018, 12:07

"assume you are the benefactor of off street parking"

Oh that I could wave a magic wand and be the benefactor of off street parking! but I think that you meant beneficiary?

I do not live in Thames Street, but the same problems exist throughout Charlbury and many other Cotswold towns and villages where there is very little local employment, lots of commuters / weekenders and an infinitely higher level of car ownership than when most properties were built.

I don't know what the solution is, but it certainly isn't to allow a free for all, with people parking on or close to key junctions, impeding the traffic flow, buses and emergency vehicles in particular.

David Cook
👍

Thu 23 Aug 2018, 11:43

Phillip, God has nothing to do with parking in Thames Street, assume you are the benefactor of off street parking hence your lack of understanding the issues we have with parking for both residents and visitors including tradesmen. I do agree mid day parking restriction could be a way forward, it seems to work on Dyers Hill.

Mark Sulik
👍

Wed 22 Aug 2018, 23:33

Little point with the introduction of a weight limit being imposed as this has had no effect over the river bridge since its introduction and no action from the town council or the highways department who are fully aware of the ongoing issues

George Ogier
👍

Wed 22 Aug 2018, 08:33

It would also be good to see the junction of Wychwood Paddocks and Enstone Rd mentioned in the consultation. So many people park opposite and it makes leaving WP tricky. Possibly adding a "Keep Clear" box?

David Thomas
👍

Tue 21 Aug 2018, 23:07

Liz, can the consultation you mention also include a 7.5t weight limit for the whole of Charlbury. We seem to have a lot of 'through' traffic - Witney to either Chippy or Enstone - that could easily go via the more suitable A-roads. Apart from noise & polution benefits it would help the town feel more joined-up, not cut in two along The Slade and Sturt Road.

Philip Ambrose
👍

Tue 21 Aug 2018, 19:58 (last edited on Tue 21 Aug 2018, 20:07)

There is no God given right for anyone to park in Thames Street, most of it is too narrow and parking ON the junction with Nine Acre is illegal, but maybe a couple of spaces single yellow lined with a prohibition around midday (weekdays) would see off the rail commuters?

Huw Mallins-Brown
👍

Tue 21 Aug 2018, 09:33 (last edited on Tue 21 Aug 2018, 09:34)

Liz

I seem to recall that WODC issued a document a year or so ago, that proposed ( amongst a host of other parking initiatives) a parking survey of towns and villages impacted by the railway line. I think that Charlbury and Long Hanbrough were specifically named. Whilst I apprciate that the provision of "residents parking" ( if it is deemed necessary) is probably not in
the remit of WODC, before further parking restructions are introduced, should not all these matters be considered together?

Thankyou

Liz Leffman
👍

Mon 20 Aug 2018, 17:32 (last edited on Mon 20 Aug 2018, 17:33)

I can confirm that the cones have not been placed by either OCC or WODC. I am not sure where they have come from but I think they may be the ones that GWR were using when they had the bus replacement service a few weeks ago,and some enterprising resident has put them there.

There will be a consultation about various proposals for parking around the town soon, which will include double yellow lines on Nine Acres, and everyone will have a chance to air their views on this.

Huw Mallins-Brown
👍

Mon 20 Aug 2018, 17:26

David, I think that the cones are a good idea and I sympathise with you. However, I think you will find that they are just cones and unlikely to have been placed their by the relevant Authority either WODC or OCC. I am not aware that any Statututory Notices have been isued for the implementation of further parking restrictions on Nine Acres Lane

David Cook
👍

Mon 20 Aug 2018, 13:37

Phillip, not such good news for those who live in Thames Street with no off street parking. It will mean the limited number of parking spaces in Thames Street will be fully utilised by selfish by rail commuters. We need a parking permit scheme for the residents of Thames Street to compliment the no parking at the bottom of Nine Acre.

Philip Ambrose
👍

Mon 20 Aug 2018, 09:56

To all those involved in finally getting No Waiting cones placed at the bottom of Nine Acre. A great improvement that removes a bottleneck and delay to emergency vehicles. Too bad for those who will now have to pay to park at the station!

Next steps, 1. Make it permanent with some yellow paint. 2. Enforcement - including those who park ON the junction, obscuring the direction signs. It is illegal to park on or within 30 feet of a road junction regardless of whether there are yellow lines or not. (see Highway Code).

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.