Limitations on rail tickets from Oxford

Christine Battersby
👍

Thu 16 Aug 2018, 16:54 (last edited on Thu 16 Aug 2018, 16:56)

There are peak-hour limitations if you get a return through ticket. This is what shows up when you do a search on the National Rail Journey Planner. To see what trains you can use your ticket on (& costs), select return Charlbury to Marylebone & then select advance options & put in that you are going via Oxford Parkway

The way round it is to buy the Oxford/Charlbury sections separately, and then the Oxford to Marylebone section separately.

You can do this online to pick up at a machine or get it posted out to you -- or buy at a station (including at Charlbury station). Chiltern is so much cheaper (& also more reliable) it makes a lot of sense.

If you are not sure what time you are coming back, it's safest to buy the extra single ticket at Oxford before you get onto the Charlbury train. You could also choose to do the last section, of course, on the bus (no 7 and S3).

Heather Williams
👍

Thu 16 Aug 2018, 15:44

Sometimes it is limited to off peak travel only, but unless you are aware of what they call "peak" your a bit stumped. Good luck.

Frank Payne
👍

Thu 16 Aug 2018, 14:22

I'm pretty sure you will have no problems. Whenever I've checked at the station they have always said there no restrictions coming back from Oxford to Charlbury. We're now using Chiltern much more, it's cheaper, and there are no restrictions coming back from Marylebone, unlike GWR which is really very limiting unless you pay for a full price ticket.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Thu 16 Aug 2018, 08:26 (last edited on Thu 16 Aug 2018, 08:26)

Can any experienced rail travellers help, please? If I buy an open return from Charlbury to Marylebone, are there restrictions on the trains I can use on the part of the return journey between Oxford and Charlbury? (The journey on Chiltern Railways is not a problem.) Thanks for any help!

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.