St Marys Tree

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Mon 13 Aug 2018, 14:50

No thanks, Stephen.

Stephen Andrews
👍

Fri 10 Aug 2018, 19:21

What about a new stump venue for the debating society - a sort of Speakers' Corner for Charlbury?

Bob Khosa
👍

Thu 9 Aug 2018, 21:42

Echoing Laura's comment, it was for me an iconic part of Charlbury. Perhaps a fitting end / continuing memorial could be our resident sculpturers / artists designing a fitting tree sculpture for the remaining stump. Or at the very least a carved bench / seat? This would mean careful consideration of what can be allowed to remain after the safety related works are undertaken.

A sad loss of an impressive, iconic tree nonetheless.

Helen Chapman
👍

Thu 9 Aug 2018, 20:06

Could we plant another tree of the same variety nearby for future generations to enjoy?

Laura Macy
👍

Thu 9 Aug 2018, 19:08

I'm a newcomer to Charlbury -- just over a year now -- and the St Mary's tree was one of the first things about the town I fell in love with. I'm very sad. I like Phil's suggestion that the stump might gain a role of its own in the town.

Sue Normand
👍

Thu 9 Aug 2018, 18:10

Sad historic loss - so noticeable as you walk by.

Phil Morgan
👍

Thu 9 Aug 2018, 12:48

Yep, this is a sad thing. But, maybe something good can emerge. If the stump that is left could be used imaginatively, perhaps St Mary's might create a new social space in the town centre (possibly aimed at children's activities)?

Andrew Chapman
👍

Thu 9 Aug 2018, 09:14

Alas poor thuja;
I'm glad I knew ya.

(In the absence of the forum's poet in residence, Miles Walkden, that's all I got.)

All levity aside, it's incredibly sad that this beautiful Charlbury landmark has to go.

Ali Ross
👍

Wed 8 Aug 2018, 23:18

Such sad news about the tree in the churchyard. It feels like the loss of an old friend.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.