Wanted to borrow for a short try-out: Apple iPad 12" tablet.

Heather Williams
👍

Sun 29 Jul 2018, 13:00

That's a point, or in Currys PC World Witney.

Hans Eriksson
👍

Sat 28 Jul 2018, 18:36

You could go to John Lewis in Oxford and try one out.

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Sat 28 Jul 2018, 16:06

Doesn't anyone have a 12" iPad - or a 2-in-1 PC that can be used as a tablet, to see if I can physically manage holding it as a touchscreen tablet for a while with an injured arm and shoulder? Can't afford the risk of a grand of dosh to find it's impossible to use for any useful time :-( I'm not really finding a 9.7" tablet has enough screen so it's frustrating.

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Sun 22 Jul 2018, 18:30

Long shot this one but thought give it a go: My sig other has an Apple 9.7" iPad tablet, which I've used quite often, bu find the screen a bit small although its resolution, clarity and brightness seems good. My "near" sight is compromised and I'd like to make images, letter fonts etc somewhat larger which on the small screen is distracting.

But I am worried that spinal and arm injuries in one hand might mean the larger size is too heavy and causes disruptive pain and semi-paralysis. But I've no recollection of having seen a 12" iPad much less held that larger model! I might not be able to support the weight when used in a "tablet" mode for any time, e.g in an armchair (back trouble means that often unable to use a table for long without trapping nerves etc.). A big ask, but anyone got one I could try out in an "armchair mode" for a few minutes to see if I can mange the larger weight?

The same issue of weight (and physical dimensions of a larger device) arises with anything of this size. Is using 12-13" devices as a big tablet really manageable for any length of time? Something like a dual purpose or convertible Laptop computer (or whatever they are called), with a back-foldable keyboard, or a detachable keyboard so it can be used in a touchscreen tablet mode while the user is on a piece of furniture that is less "hostile" to people with spinal injuries than an office chair.

Anyone any experience of the practicalities of using devices of this size and weight as tablets, able to advise on usability in reality, they could pass on?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.