A Tilley hat or similar?

Hannen Beith
👍

Sun 29 Jul 2018, 15:38

A great "heat" Liz?!
I use "Repel" from Boots. Reasonable cost. 50% Deet. They sell a spray and a roll on. I usually use the roll on, as I find the spray goes everywhere, even up my nose!

Liz Reason
👍

Sun 29 Jul 2018, 14:34

Thanks to Wendy who suggested charity shops. Got a great heat for a fiver... And I've got lots of SkinSoSoft believe me!

Claire Wilding
👍

Wed 25 Jul 2018, 14:09

I used Avon Skin So Soft on the West Highland Way, it's a bit safer than DEET!

Grahame Ockleston
👍

Wed 25 Jul 2018, 12:00

Jungle Formula 100% DEET, is effective against the Scottish midge [y], developed by the US Army for use in Vietnam.
But it dissolves some plastics, the most important thing is to keep them out of your hair.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Wed 25 Jul 2018, 08:46

Midges love me too! I recommend a 100% DEET spray. I think you may be able to get them in chemists. I get it from Cotswold Outdoor. Mine is Lifesystems brand, but I'm sure there are others. Serious stuff.

Gareth Davies
👍

Wed 25 Jul 2018, 00:04

If you would like extra protection Avon sell a dry oil spray sunscreen sun+ spf 30 which also protects against flying insects as it reflects like water but I also believe has an insect repellent in it as well. It can be bought online i believe, I spend a lot of time outside and highly recommend it.

Rhona Walker
👍

Tue 24 Jul 2018, 22:22

In my experience, the only thing that offers any sort of protection from midges, especially on a warmish, drizzly day, is a pillow case over your head and neck with 2 eye holes cut out so that you can see where you're going. You could also try Avon 'Skin so Soft'. If all else fails, the old folks remedy was to grab a piece of bog myrtle and stick it in your button hole!

Liz Reason
👍

Tue 24 Jul 2018, 21:23

Thanks Wendy

Wendy Bailey
👍

Tue 24 Jul 2018, 18:57

Liz if it helps, the newsagents in Chipping Norton have Tilley hats.

Liz Reason
👍

Sun 22 Jul 2018, 17:40

Somewhat foolishly we have arranged to walk the West Highlands Way in August - midge time. We've bought head nets, but I realise that I need a hat with a stiffer brim than I own. Just wondering whether anyone could lend me one for 10 days? (Maybe the midges won't be out when we're up there, says the optimist in me!)

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.