Robert Courts is the eighth to resign over May's Brexit plan

Charlie M
👍

Sat 17 Nov 2018, 15:57

Philip, Stephen ... I live in hope!
Frankly, the quality of our representative is to me an insult.

Stephen Andrews
👍

Fri 16 Nov 2018, 19:04 (last edited on Fri 16 Nov 2018, 19:05)

Given that RC resigned over the Chequers' deal, for consistency, I assume that he has, or is considering, a 'no-confidence letter in the Prime Minister' to the Chairman of the 1922 Committee. At what stage will the local Conservative party do the same to him?

Philip Ambrose
👍

Thu 15 Nov 2018, 18:01 (last edited on Thu 15 Nov 2018, 18:08)

Well the Tories have pressed the self-destruct button, now what? Jacob's cream crackers!

Nick Millea
👍

Wed 25 Jul 2018, 08:55

It's not often I find myself in complete agreement with Chris, but I think his second paragraph in last Friday's message says it all. A clear and perceptive analysis of the disarray in which we now find ourselves.

Christine Battersby
👍

Fri 20 Jul 2018, 21:51

Well, Charlie, you could try getting a petition together; but I don't think it would have much effect -- unless, that is, it was signed only by local Conservative voters. It's after all a matter for the local Conservative party, & I wonder more & more why they selected Courts in the first place. Perhaps they do so, too!

His interview with the Oxford Mail yesterday seemed just dim or a product of naivety. Or was it rather an exercise in bad faith?

It starts with the really odd claim that his decision to step down: "has nothing to do with whether I or anyone else voted Leave or Remain in the referendum. That vote was two years ago, before I was an MP, and the decision has been made by the country as a whole." But that just is just downright peculiar, given that he was only selected as a candidate because of the whole Brexit crisis...

Nor do things get any better as Courts carries on: "Nor is it about wanting to see a "hard" or a "soft" Brexit - unhelpful and vague political labels that are used simply to muddy the waters and to avoid a detailed discussion of the issues." Give that Courts then goes on to argue for what is, in effect, a very hard Brexit indeed, the interview makes for a really depressing read.

It's here if you can bear to read it: www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/16364187.mp-robert-courts-why-i-resigned-post-over-brexit/#comments-anchor

Charlie M
👍

Fri 20 Jul 2018, 20:33

I love Charlbury; I have now lived here for 22 and a half years, and I would not change that for the world. But for one thing. Sadly the Witney constituency is an area where, if the Tories put up a donkey as their parliamentary candidate, it would probably win the election. But this thread has got me thinking; sadly we have no mechanism by which we can recall our MP. But I wonder if it would be possible to gather signatures on a petition against his attitude to this issue (and others)?
It could effectively be a vote of "No Confidence" in him. Any thoughts?

Helen Chapman
👍

Fri 20 Jul 2018, 19:28

Well said Chris

Chris Tatton
👍

Fri 20 Jul 2018, 18:05 (last edited on Fri 20 Jul 2018, 18:07)

I am Surprised to hear that our M.P has resigned as a PPS to the foreign office, so he is free to support a more extreme brand of hard Brexit than the Prime minister herself. After all this constituency (including Charlbury) overall voted 54 % to remain and with many constituents who voted to leave preferring a soft Brexit. As there was no local election in Charlbury this year I was asked to help in Shipton and Eynsham, and the issue that came up time and again apart from road surfaces and pot holes, was the wish to remain in the EU or a wish for a soft Brexit. Interesting that our MP is becoming increasingly very detached from the views of a majority of his electorate.

Perhaps I should not be surprised by anything that happens in our so called democracy anymore. After all it would appear that we seem to pursuing a hard and harmful Brexit, as a result of an advisory referendum marginally won on a pile of lies, some painted on the side of a bus, by a campaign that overspent and has now been reported to the police, apparently using dodgy data collection and possibly influenced by that great democracy Russia. Still we must carry on with this dodgy leave project, whatever the damage to our great nation. They are even willing to break the long established "pairing" agreement in our national parliament, one which involved an M.P who couldn't attend a recent vote because she had recently given birth. Still we must carry on with hard brexit madness. So much for an MP representing his constituents or the national interest.

Alice Brander
👍

Fri 20 Jul 2018, 12:33

Not surprising he doesn't admit to being a part of the ERG. The European Research Group is a single issue (Brexit) research support group for a small minority of Conservative MP's with extremely negative views on Europe. Partly funded by us the tax-payer as an MP's business cost/expenses. I think Conservatives in Charlbury might ask themselves if he represents their views. I find it all very scary.

Mark Luntley
👍

Thu 19 Jul 2018, 13:20

I've seen Robert Courts described as a member of the ERG, though I don't recall his name appearing on any of the public letters from that group. What I find odd is how little he refers to this on his own website https://www.robertcourts.co.uk which tends to emphasise local issues. The exception is his recent resignation as PPS - where he sets out a very lengthy explanation.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Wed 18 Jul 2018, 17:46

(Admin note - discussion of Charlbury's MP is fine here, but I think discussion of the MPs for Broxtowe, Eddisbury, Aberconwy etc. is probably best left for the Grease Pit. Thank you --Richard)

Roy Scott
👍

Wed 18 Jul 2018, 15:57

As I understood it, MPs have a duty to act in the interests of the nation as a whole; and a special duty to their constituents. I see no evidence at all that leaving the benefits of the European Union will do us anything but harm. I therefore do not see how Mr Courts is doing right by his constituents or the nation.

veronica robinson
👍

Wed 18 Jul 2018, 15:02

I agree with you Philip, an MP's duty is to represent the views of their constituents. Perhaps Anna Soubry 52.5% leave, Antoinette Sandbach 52.2% leave, Guto Bebb 52% leave, Phillip Lee 54% leave, Jonathan Djanogly 53.4% leave, and Liberal Democrat MP,s Norman Lamb 58.4% leave and Tom Brake 56.3% leave and Labour MP's, too numerous to list, should abide by this doctrine.

Philip Ambrose
👍

Wed 18 Jul 2018, 14:12

I beg to differ. Government policy may have to reflect the overall national position, if there is one? (Brexit seems to mean different things to different people), but an MP's duty is to represent his constituents.

I wouldn't expect lifelong Labour voters to switch sides just because they did not win the last general election. Why do many Brexiteers think that Remainers should change their position just because we lost narrowly to a mish-mash of overspending objectors?

UK voted remain in 1975, leave in 2016, roll on 2057!

Alex Flynn
👍

Wed 18 Jul 2018, 09:33

Whether his constituents voted to remain is irrelevant. The fact is the country voted to leave...still clutching at straws 2 years on I see!

Alex Flynn
👍

Wed 18 Jul 2018, 09:24

He is known for one reason only - he succeeded Cameron. That is it as far as I am concerned! Anything else he did - I wouldn't have a clue - filled up my bin in the days/weeks leading up to Election Day.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Tue 17 Jul 2018, 21:43

Curiously the national chairman of the Conservative Party appears to have been campaigning in Charlbury on Saturday... twitter.com/ianhudspeth/status/1018126954971713536 .

(Liz, I think the 70% figure is Oxford rather than West Oxfordshire.)

Hans Eriksson
👍

Tue 17 Jul 2018, 18:36

Slightly off topic but there is a very important brexit commons vote coming up at 6.45pm. You can follow it online.

Chris Tatton
👍

Tue 17 Jul 2018, 18:32

Charlbury residents may be (or not) interested to know that Charlbury voted 68% to remain and 32% to leave, if the 10% sample I took at the Count can be an accurate projection of the total population.

Liz Reason
👍

Tue 17 Jul 2018, 18:01

I picked this up on an internet search.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36615408

veronica robinson
👍

Tue 17 Jul 2018, 17:30

Au contraire Liz, this is "fake news". 53.7% voted remain, 46.3% voted leave. Turnout 79.8%.

Liz Reason
👍

Tue 17 Jul 2018, 16:42

Turn out in the EU referendum in the Witney constitutency was 70% with 70% voting remain. Presumably the non-voters didn't care or found it too difficult to make up their minds.

Michael Flanagan
👍

Tue 17 Jul 2018, 14:22 (last edited on Tue 17 Jul 2018, 14:24)

Christine Battersby:

I've never had much time for Courts, and now have even less.

But it's simply not true that " West Oxfordshire voted overwhelmingly to remain in the EU." About 56% of voters in the Referendum voted to remain - and I've seen no evidence going round the constituency in the two national and many local elections since of any real change. We're about as split as the country overall on this.

The reason Courts has signed his own political death warrant, though, is that the Referendum was never meant to be binding (read the enabling Act), only Parliament can decide our future and Parliament WILL eventually decide on a Brexit that's virtually indistinguishable from membership.

By stabbing Mrs May in the back quite gratuitously, Courts has put himself on the wrong side of history - and is clearly opposed to the economic interests of the overwhelming majority of his constituents.

Who, in my experience, are divided on the EU, but almost unanimous on the need to continue unrestricted trade with our neighbours and the virtually unrestricted movement of people between us and our neighbours - to ensure we remain the world's dominant intellectual centre, the centre of most of Britain's economic developments, and the nicest place to live in Europe.

And he's done all that just so he could hang out with Trump the Putin-lover and our jailbird Duke.

Courts' career's over. In a few years' time he'll be back to full-time ambulance chasing.

Katie Ewer
👍

Tue 17 Jul 2018, 13:48

It's poor democracy if one side cheats and commits electoral fraud to win as reported today. That in itself ought to be enough to invalidate the referendum result.

veronica robinson
👍

Tue 17 Jul 2018, 13:18

Democracy is a wonderous thing as long as it complies with what you think!

Hannen Beith
👍

Tue 17 Jul 2018, 13:08 (last edited on Tue 17 Jul 2018, 13:17)

Fantastic website John. Thank you.

John Dora
👍

Tue 17 Jul 2018, 11:55

Interesting to see how he votes, if interested look here https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/25593/robert_courts/witney/votes

veronica robinson
👍

Tue 17 Jul 2018, 11:27

Katie, that would be fine if every other MP represented the views of the majority of their constituents.

Katie Ewer
👍

Tue 17 Jul 2018, 10:29

But he is supposed to represent the views of his constituents.

veronica robinson
👍

Tue 17 Jul 2018, 10:10

Surely he is complying with the 17.4 million who voted leave.

Philip Ambrose
👍

Tue 17 Jul 2018, 09:35 (last edited on Tue 17 Jul 2018, 09:39)

Christine, what I meant by "Does anyone care?" is that he has quite clearly nailed his colours to the Brexiteers mast. Whether he is a member of some faction or not is a secondary issue to the fact that he is not representing his constituents who clearly voted to remain.

Stephen Andrews
👍

Tue 17 Jul 2018, 08:01 (last edited on Tue 17 Jul 2018, 10:00)

The ninth resignation, yesterday, was from Scott Mann MP for North Cornwall who said in his resignation letter: "Elements of the Brexit white paper will inevitably put me in direct conflict with the views expressed by a large section of my constituents". Now where's that mirror? Think on that Mr. Courts.

Christine Battersby
👍

Mon 16 Jul 2018, 22:16 (last edited on Mon 16 Jul 2018, 22:21)

Duncan, Courts is listed in various places as being a subscriber to ERG. And actually I do care about this, Philip.

ERG is linked to Rees-Mogg and is a right-wing pressure group.

Philip Ambrose
👍

Mon 16 Jul 2018, 21:15

Does anyone care?

Duncan Forbes
👍

Mon 16 Jul 2018, 21:00

Does anyone know if our MP is a member of the "European Research Group"?

Philip Ambrose
👍

Mon 16 Jul 2018, 19:13 (last edited on Mon 16 Jul 2018, 20:27)

Unfortunately he has only resigned as PPS not as an MP. West Oxfordshire (Witney) voted Remain. Ignore local democracy at your peril Mr Courts.

David Cameron got us into this mess by putting party before country, promising a referendum, scared that Tory MPs would defect to UKIP.

Then, as a Dubliner recently told me, "a bunch of fecking eejits believed what they saw on the side of a big red bus and voted to leave".

Spare a thought for Teresa May (Remainer) as she wrestles with a dysfunctional Tory party - she did save us from Boris Johnson FFS (Former Foreign Secretary) and the Welsh cat (Rees Moggy).

No surprise that many business leaders are tearing their hair out and making investment plans outside of the UK. Watch the jobs go!

Two years wasted with Tory infighting and squabbling, less than nine months to go! Justine Greening is right - tell us what the final deal is and then let us vote on whether to leave or stay.

Corbyn has no credibility either. Both left and right are a busted flush. Maybe we need to take a leaf out of France's book? - President Emmanuel Macron's party En Marche has broken the political mould.

Birgit den Outer
👍

Mon 16 Jul 2018, 12:52

Courts: shame on you.

Charlie M
👍

Mon 16 Jul 2018, 10:23

Christine, thank you so much for that. It confirms my worst fears.
The fact that by attending that dinner, both Courts and Hudspeth - at the very least - are prepared to turn a blind eye to Trump's racism and contempt for women fills me with sadness.
And while on that subject, may I also offer my profound congratulations, respect and thanks to the many people of Charlbury who turned out at Blenheim Palace on Thursday! It was a well-attended, dignified and humorous protest against Trump, and if he ever visits us again, I hope it will be repeated!

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Mon 16 Jul 2018, 09:12

Snake in the grass..... most of the grass is Blue around here, and therefore there are always more where that one came from!

Christine Battersby
👍

Mon 16 Jul 2018, 00:06

Yes, Charlie, Courts was reported as being at the dinner with Trump, along with Ian Hudspeth. It was reported in the Oxford Mail & the local press, including here: https://www.banburyguardian.co.uk/news/us-president-donald-trump-visits-oxfordshire-amid-hundreds-of-protesters-1-8566746

Alistair Kerr
👍

Sun 15 Jul 2018, 22:52

Does anyone take him seriously?

Charlie M
👍

Sun 15 Jul 2018, 22:35

Do we yet know if Courts went to the Trump dinner at Blenheim on Thursday? I have been trying to find out, so far with no success.

Gordon Cutting
👍

Sun 15 Jul 2018, 21:58

Yes, Christine, I love the politically nuanced reasoning that it's, "to express discontent with [Theresa May's approach] in votes tomorrow."
It says nothing about what his approach would be, because such a move burns bridges in other directions he might want to run to.

Stephen Andrews
👍

Sun 15 Jul 2018, 19:27 (last edited on Mon 16 Jul 2018, 10:22)

I assume if the vote goes against him tomorrow he will do the decent thing and resign as our MP - he had a questionable mandate for his position in the first place.

Christine Battersby
👍

Sun 15 Jul 2018, 18:22

Courts is also reported as saying "I cannot tell the people of WOxon that I support the proposals in their current form." What he fails to point out is that West Oxfordshire voted overwhelmingly to remain in the EU. He clearly does not think about that as he looks in his mirror ...

Courts was Parliamentary Private Secretary in the Foreign Office. To me, this smells of a plot linked to Boris.

Mike Williams
👍

Sun 15 Jul 2018, 18:11

Robert Courts is the eighth to resign over May's Brexit plan

"Robert Courts left his role as a ministerial aide saying he could not look himself in the mirror if he had been forced to defend the prime minister's plans.

"The MP, who now sits in David Cameron's old seat, indicated he would vote against the government in a house of commons vote on Monday."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-robert-courts-theresa-may-white-paper-a8448446.html

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.