GWR replacement busses

Gordon Cutting
👍

Sat 14 Jul 2018, 20:29 (last edited on Sat 14 Jul 2018, 20:29)

Yes, it's me from the S3.
Sorry for dipping in to this so late, but for the duration of the closure (up until 29th of July), Stagecoach are accepting valid GWR train tickets for travel between Oxford/Hanborough/Combe/Finstock/Charlbury along the route.
Just show your ticket to the driver and they will give you a free ticket for travel on the bus on that journey.
The official rail replacement stop in Charlbury is the bus stop on Nine Acres near the scout hut, but we'll pick you up from any of our normal bus stops on the route.

Liz Drake
👍

Fri 13 Jul 2018, 15:47

Is anyone driving to parkway 0645 Monday please? If so please can I grab a lift?

Deborah Longshaw
👍

Fri 13 Jul 2018, 08:54

Also worth noting for folks using the S3 bus to get to Oxford - they are accepting season tickets/rail tickets on the bus for the duration.

graham W
👍

Thu 12 Jul 2018, 12:57

Perhaps a little word in someones ear at Great Western, according to the notice board about the replacement buses states there is a collection point in Charlbury village!

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Thu 12 Jul 2018, 08:30

When I've needed to go into Oxford I've just caught the usual S3 from outside the Bell - notably busier than usual. It's a bit slower than the Hanborough train/bus combination, but when you factor in the walk to/from the station there's not much in it.

PJ Honey
👍

Thu 12 Jul 2018, 08:24 (last edited on Thu 12 Jul 2018, 08:31)

The train goes from Charlbury to Hanborough weekdays. Once at Hanborough there's a choice of three buses -

1. Bus to Didcot Parkway to connect to a train to Paddington
2. Bus to Oxford Parkway to connect to a train to London Marylebone
3. Bus straight to Oxford station for those just wanting to go to Oxford

I've been taking the Oxford Parkway option for the last few days and it's far quicker than the Didcot one if you're going to London. Apart from the connecting train being "cancelled" last night (drivers watching the football I gues) its all gone smoothly. I wouldn't mind a bus to Parkway everyday!

At the weekend it's just a bus from Nine Acres Lane to Oxford station and that's it.

Alex Flynn
👍

Thu 12 Jul 2018, 08:15

Why do people keep mentioning Oxford Parkway. I appreciate the trains won't be running in and out of Oxford station but surely the busses drop people off at the Oxford station the other side of the footbridge? What help is Parkway? I don't get this!

Susie Burnett
👍

Wed 11 Jul 2018, 22:13 (last edited on Thu 12 Jul 2018, 06:39)

I have been using the Peartree Park and Ride, which is frustratingly slower than the train due to traffic and time it takes for everyone to board the bus, but not too bad if you leave by 7.30am. A colleague who travels to Oxford from Hereford caught the train to Hanborough this morning and said it was fine, but took about half an hour longer than usual. The bus waits for the train to arrive. Not sure what homeward journey was like.

Coralie RASSINOUX
👍

Wed 11 Jul 2018, 20:42

I haven't used the replacement bus from Charlbury but driven to Parkway and taken the 500 bus. It's super busy but they do seem to have extra buses running & staff is friendly & helpful. Traffic leaving the station is not good though. Not ideal but does the trick for temporary measures. Hope this helps.

Alex Flynn
👍

Wed 11 Jul 2018, 18:03

Do I take it nobody has used the service since the rail replacement buses have been put in place? Or did you get back so late that you didn't have the energy to reply?

Alex Flynn
👍

Tue 10 Jul 2018, 12:40

Is everything running smoothly (this is GWR we are talking about!)

Alex Flynn
👍

Tue 10 Jul 2018, 12:39

I am on holiday this week but can't help wondering how it's all going as I am dreading going back to work next week given the situation of the state of the trains

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.