A bridge to somewhere

Andrew Chapman
👍

Thu 12 Jul 2018, 18:15 (last edited on Thu 12 Jul 2018, 18:16)

Thanks, Hamish. Gordon, I fear you are misunderstanding my point entirely. There are clearly two parallel traditions here - the 'official' name, which has been on maps for at least 137 years, is 'Water Lane'. Meanwhile there's clearly a 'local name' of equal long standing, perhaps longer, of 'Watery Lane', which certainly makes sense given its nature. Nobody is suggestion anyone should change anything. You took Gerald to task for calling it 'Water Lane'. I was merely pointing out that it can be called either, depending on whether you prefer written or oral tradition, and that therefore everybody is correct. I prefer 'Watery' myself, as it happens. But now a minor piece of facetiousness has turned into a serious debate, which seems a bit dull. Thanks again to the council, wardens and volunteers for maintaining our local routes, anyway!

Hamish Nichol
👍

Thu 12 Jul 2018, 17:04

Surely it has already changed from Water Lane to Watery Lane? I don't think anyone was arguing for change but rather celebrating change i.e. Watery Lane becoming Drier Lane in places? Thanks Andrew for the interesting historical facts.

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Thu 12 Jul 2018, 16:51

Next step, tarmac it, it's so annoying to have to clean my boots after a country walk, ha ha ha!

Gordon Clemson
👍

Thu 12 Jul 2018, 15:41

'Historical and Other Notes on Charlbury' by John Kibble published 1927 page 47..... refers to Watery Lane. over 90 years ago
Its not local mythology, same as Browns Lane was Bull Lane, Dyers Hill was Station Hill, Railway Arms is now Three Horseshoes, formerly Farmers Arms and so on.......why not accept local names and move on or is there a wish to change everything

Paul Butler
👍

Thu 12 Jul 2018, 14:40

Nice try Andrew. Meddling in local mythology will end somewhere in Water Lane is suspect.

Gordon Clemson
👍

Thu 12 Jul 2018, 13:29

It should be called what it is known as... Watery Lane. Has been known as Watery Lane for well over a 100 years going back to my Grandfathers time in the 1890.s
Even the Town Council map, by the Crown refers to it as Watery Lane .....
What has Trump/Brexit or Football got to do with it ?? Absolutely nothing !

Andrew Chapman
👍

Thu 12 Jul 2018, 13:06 (last edited on Thu 12 Jul 2018, 13:14)

Just for the record, although we all call it Watery Lane, the OS map (right back to 1881) says it's Water Lane, so we're *all* right - which is nice, in these times of TrumpBrexitFootball, isn't it?!

Gordon Clemson
👍

Thu 12 Jul 2018, 12:59

Just for the record its Watery Lane... not Water Lane.

Gerald Simper
👍

Thu 12 Jul 2018, 11:47

Just for the record, the path at Water lane was suggested and paid for by members of Charlbury Town Council. The work was organised and undertaken by Cotswold Wardens with the valuable assistance of Charlbury Volunteers.
We hope that walkers will now feel really more welcome.

John Dora
👍

Mon 9 Jul 2018, 13:04

Brilliant!

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Mon 9 Jul 2018, 12:36

Miracle workers, Harriet!

Harriet Baldwin
👍

Sun 8 Jul 2018, 13:52

Done by the Cotswold Wardens. Glad you're happy with it.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Sun 8 Jul 2018, 12:56

Seconded. That's really good news. Was that the Town Council's doing?

Roy Scott
👍

Fri 6 Jul 2018, 10:18

Many thanks to the team that have now extended the path beyond Jubilee Bridge so we can walk above the usual mud bath of Watery Lane. After many years, we now have an all-weather route through Mill Field over the bridge and to bring us out into open country - or turn right at the top of Watery Lane to enjoy a short circular route over fields back to Charlbury. A really excellent new asset for us all.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.