Huge run-off of topsoil!

Miles Walkden
👍

Sun 3 Jun 2018, 17:13

yes

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Sun 3 Jun 2018, 15:05

We were disturbed at the mounds of topsoil, stones - and some quite large rocks - at the bottom of fields off Quarry Lane, Brewers Bottom footpath to Dustfield, around there. There were drifts of soil looking like to sort of morrainnes (sp?) one gets from retreating glaciers! The soil on the large fields is pretty thin and poor stuff and it won't be long for fertility to be lost if this sort of extreme weather event keeps happening. I've long wondered how arable farming works on these hills, suspecting it is to quite an extent "subsidy farming" to be viable ... It wasn't that long ago that a lot of the woodland was cleared if I recall correctly, a lot of it in the 1800's. Wonder if the land should be returned to pasture, hedge, and woodland instead of pouring oil and natural gas into poor brash land.

Anyone else noticed how few insects there are the last years? When we first came with a young family the walls and lights would be swarmed with moth and cranefly at night - no longer. And I haven't seen a honey bee yet. End times?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.