Electric fencing along footpath

Philip Ambrose
👍

Sun 27 May 2018, 20:15

OMG! Only in Charlbury could there be such concern over an electric fence.
More power to your elbow Julie :-)

Angus B
👍

Sat 26 May 2018, 16:47

We've just walked along the said path and it is clear, wide enough and caused us no problems at all. I don't understand what all the fuss is about.

Alan Cobb
👍

Sat 26 May 2018, 14:48 (last edited on Sat 26 May 2018, 18:41)

I have just taken a dog on a lead down the path and have had no problems at all.

Heather Williams
👍

Fri 25 May 2018, 20:43

Totally agree with you Huw. This property was on the market for ages gradually getting rather neglected, so people just walked where they wanted unrestricted and the area was allowed to grow very wild. Yes it was slippery but then it is in the countryside. Now that this lady has bought this property and has her own sheep to graze on her land, she has put up a fence to keep her sheep away from the pathway and people and dogs away from her sheep. A footpath is 3' no more no less. Sheep worrying has been growing over recent years, and also peoples attitudes to where they think they have the right to walk or not! Come on it's her land and she is doing everything right, cut her some slack and if you don't like the path as it now is, then don't use it.

Huw Mallins-Brown
👍

Fri 25 May 2018, 20:33

Perhaps before people comment further, they should take a stroll along the said footpath. There are two delightful lambs and a well placed electric fence and wide footpath, which is neither muddy or slippery. A significant amount of work (and expense) has been undertaken to make the area stock-proof. Once grazed, the area will be a significant improvement to what was there before. The owner should be thanked not criticised.

Regarding the comment about the current in an electric fence, it is around 0.0005 amps delivering a power output of 4 watts every 2 seconds. If vegetation is touching the fence than the amperage will drop significantly. These fences are comonly used ( in the form of a net) to protect chickens. They are an effective form of fencing (other than in heavy snow) with a low risk assessment.

Please show some respect to the landowner - it is never easy when a well used right of way runs across your land. Recogise that your right of way is a strip of land around 3 feet wide - no more no less.

Angus B
👍

Fri 25 May 2018, 20:00

Karen Biles, you write, " In the winter the footpath gets very slippery and this would cause further difficulty." If a road is icy or covered in snow you might think it wise not to drive on it. Why is it essential for people to 'endanger' themselves using this particular footpath when there are so many others less dangerous in the area?

Hannen Beith
👍

Fri 25 May 2018, 19:27

Well, Julie could always shoot the dogs if they are trespassing, although I am not recommending or condoning that. I think an electric fence is preferable. She would need a licence (to own a gun) but observing her comments I doubt that she would go to such measures.
Be careful what you wish for. I've owned dogs for most of my life and like to think that I've been responsible. Surprising at it may seem to some, one can have a dog and jog along with your neighbours - if you accept the responsibility that ownership entails.

K Harper
👍

Fri 25 May 2018, 19:14

Karen, In answer to your question about the strength of the voltage; the usual voltage in electric fence is between 5000 and 9000 volts as it needs to be this to be effective but of course it is only a pulse.

Hannen Beith
👍

Fri 25 May 2018, 19:10

One can learn a lot from this forum.

Karen Biles
👍

Fri 25 May 2018, 14:15

Thank you for all of the information. I'm just wondering why the fence has to be electric when you have fenced the rest of the perimeter in non electric fencing. I think the main issue is that the footpath has been made so narrow and walking along it with a dog on a lead is almost impossible without touching the electric fence, especially when the bushes and trees on the left fall into the footpath. In the winter the footpath gets very slippery and this would cause further difficulty. A normal fence would cause no issues and still keep the sheep protected.

Helen Chapman
👍

Fri 25 May 2018, 14:08 (last edited on Fri 25 May 2018, 14:09)

Thanks for explaining Julie - sorry to hear all the problems you've had.

nigel rosser
👍

Fri 25 May 2018, 12:05

Poor Julie. Sounds like a nightmare.

Julie Penny
👍

Fri 25 May 2018, 11:40

Sadly not all residents of Charlbury are as upstanding as most of those of you who have commented here.

The CCTV was installed on suggestion of the police last year when firstly my new fencing was deliberately broken down. Then the Badgers were poisoned in the set the other side…

Long post - click to read full text

vicky burton
👍

Fri 25 May 2018, 10:30

Physical damage is unlikely however, in 1991 an accidental fatality occurred when a young child's head contacted an electrified fence while the child was crawling on wet grass. The fence was correctly installed and functioning properly. The energiser was an approved unit. As a result, we strongly advise against allowing toddlers access to any electrified fences. Also, due to this incident and others, experts now suggest that human contact by an energised wire to the head and neck maybe the
most dangerous point of contact. We urge all to especially avoid this kind of contact with electric fencing.
I can also personally vouch for the psychological harm to children and pets from the shock.

Helen Chapman
👍

Fri 25 May 2018, 07:42

Adding to Sue's point, there also seem to be cctv notices along that footpath now - which seems a bit OTT -,I don't know if there really are any cameras.

stephen cavell
👍

Fri 25 May 2018, 07:27

Pavlov - as boys in Cornwall in the 50's we used to dare 'unknowing lads' to pee on the fence.

Nigel Drinkwater
👍

Thu 24 May 2018, 21:30

My dog weighs 7 kilos the average male sheep weighs 160 kilos, begging the question if said fence can hold back or deter a 160 kilo sheep then my guess is that's not a lot of fun for a 7 kilo dog that might unintentionally touch the fence. Children touching an electric fence knowing what will happen is entirely different to a small dog not knowing.

Sue Williams
👍

Thu 24 May 2018, 21:28

Whether or not there are actual risks to children or dogs, the concern I have is that unlike electric fences on open farm land, an electric fence in this woodland alongside a narrow, sloping and often muddy path is a rather sinister feature which I find intimidating and inappropriate alongside this otherwise attractive entry route to the Nature Reserve and beyond.

Hannen Beith
👍

Thu 24 May 2018, 19:44

I can't believe what I'm reading. I've never heard of a human or animal being injured or worse by an electric fence. If that was even a remote possibility do you think that Julie would put it up? I used to walk my 3 children past such things years ago and they took great delight in daring each other to get a shock. I've done it myself. Snap! No lasting harm. No burn. Go for it Julie! Dogs will soon learn to keep clear. Pavlov.

Nigel Drinkwater
👍

Thu 24 May 2018, 19:07

Having walked through this field today I'm a little confused as to why it needs any fencing at all as it's gated both ends, simply asking for dogs to be kept on leads should suffice as is usually the case in gated fields with public footpaths. The Arable fields above this field were fenced last year to keep sheep in for a few weeks, it's not gated so it was electric fenced,
The farmer had the consideration and decency to put the electric fence a good 15 feet back away from the walk way making dog walking no problem.

Geoff Belcher
👍

Thu 24 May 2018, 11:41

Perhaps the fence could be moved into the field a little more where the path narrows, easy it should be.

Lesley Algar
👍

Thu 24 May 2018, 11:31 (last edited on Thu 24 May 2018, 11:43)

When the path slippery from the rain, it would be quite easy to fall and hit the electric fencing.

Jim Holah
👍

Thu 24 May 2018, 09:36

Succinctly put John.

JOHN CHETTLEBOROUGH
👍 1

Wed 23 May 2018, 21:07

Hi Julie

More than happy to come round and discuss this. You have seen me regularly walking down the path with a black dog with a very waggy tail. The nature reserve and this access route features on almost every walk.

However this Forum is also a suitable place for a discussion as this issue affects many in the community ?" so its only fair to also raise points here.

I think people will respect what you are trying to do with the sheep in your field and will control their dogs to ensure no harm is done. But there are a number of ways in which you can keep sheep in and dogs out ?" arguably a normal fence would actually provide greater protection for both. The path has already been narrowed and it is easy to see how dogs and small children can now come to harm with an electric fence so close.

Given that this is the main route to a nature reserve I would ask if there is not another way to manage this situation that can achieve what you want but also not cause harm to anyone else or their dogs? It does seem a fair question to ask why you have opted for the electric fence solution?

Like I said, happy to pop by next time I am passing through.

Best

Julie Penny
👍

Wed 23 May 2018, 20:16

To clarify as the footpath runs through my land. I have put sheep in my field. with more to come, and in order to protect them I have put up an electric fence. I gave notice two weeks before the sheep went into the field at each end and again on the day and have added a note that the electric fence is live. Before I did this I spoke to the field office at Oxfordshire County Council, and he visited the site last year. There are signs on the gates at each end of my land and approved warning signs every 20 feet along the fence in accordance with the appropriate legislation.

If anyone has a problem perhaps you would like to come and knock on my door and speak to me rather than post comments on the forum, I can then give you an answer rather than speculating what may or may not be the situation.

Simon Walker
👍

Wed 23 May 2018, 10:42

Just a tip from someone who grew up on a farm - rather than using a toddler (or a dog) to find out if the fence is live, hold a piece of dry grass against the wire. If the fence is live, you will feel the current pulse in your fingers, but the grass is enough of an insulator that it won't hurt. Health-and-safety disclaimer: If you have a pacemaker, make up your own mind about doing this.

Claire Wilding
👍

Wed 23 May 2018, 10:06

My toddler regularly touches it and so far it has not been live ... Not been down for a while though so that could have changed.

Simon Walker
👍

Tue 22 May 2018, 22:09

If you have concerns about it, contact the footpaths officer at Oxfordshire County Council.

Paul Taylor
👍

Tue 22 May 2018, 19:43

Some one with poor eye sight is not going to see approved signs

Charlie M
👍

Tue 22 May 2018, 18:29

I wasintrigued by this, so I had a look, and it appears that - sadly - it *is* legal to put up an electric fence next to a public footpath. However the fence must carry "approved warning signs" (whatever they are), and the maximum distance between signs must be 100 metres.

Jim Holah
👍

Tue 22 May 2018, 18:07

Not to mention inquisitive children!
Whatever strength, it's pretty unfriendly to use such a fence on such a narrow & well used footpath.

Karen Biles
👍

Tue 22 May 2018, 17:08

I was wondering if anyone knows how strong the current is from the electric fencing currently turned on along the footpath to porters pond. Its quite a narrow lane so easy to accidentally touch especially for dog walkers or people unsteady on their feet. Thank you

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.