Vegetarian advice

Mark Luntley
👍

Mon 7 May 2018, 20:56

I quite like the Jam Factory in central Oxford which has a range of food including vegetarian options. The Lebanese restaurant on Cowley Road Pomegranate Kitchen has a good range of vegetarian platters as well.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Sun 6 May 2018, 08:28

Amazed to discover the other day that the Chequers in Chippy does really good veggie and vegan food cooked on the premises by a great chef, who is going to expand her veggie menu when the pub reopens in mid June after refurbishment. She is seriously good.

James Styring
👍

Sun 22 Apr 2018, 12:08

Oxford used to have a veggie restaurant 15-20 years ago on Cowley Rd. It was decidedly average and didn't survive. The premises now hosts a Chinese called Red Star, which sells an amazingly tasty, filling and cheap chilli vegetable ramen. It's much better than when it was a veggie restaurant, speaking as someone who hasn't eaten meat for decades. I wouldn't go there for a birthday though, it's quick in and out service.
The Gardener's Arms on Plantation Road is good but fairly homecooked-style.
The Magic Cafe on Magdalen Road is tasty but expensive for what it is.
There is a new vegan restaurant on Cowley Rd that I have never been to but might be worth a try. www.happyfridaykitchen.co.uk/ looks very burger-based though.
If I were you I might try Chiang Mai Kitchen, probably the best Thai in town. Plenty of veggie dishes. It's down an alleyway off High St. V atmospheric.

Nicola Morgan
👍

Sun 22 Apr 2018, 08:24

Thanks everyone. Yes very surprising the dearth of meat free in this posh county!

Sue Normand
👍

Fri 20 Apr 2018, 12:46

Perch is lovely setting... whereas Gardeners Arms may not be ideal for a celebration but good food...

Andrew Chapman
👍

Fri 20 Apr 2018, 07:05 (last edited on Fri 20 Apr 2018, 07:59)

The Magic Cafe on Magdalen Road is entirely veggie/vegan, and very nice, although might not be quite what you have in mind for a birthday gathering, Nicola. (It always amazes me that Oxford doesn't have a proper vegetarian restaurant - Bath, for example, has two.)

Shelagh Scott
👍

Thu 19 Apr 2018, 22:01

The Perch by the Thames, although not a veggie pub, has an excellent selection of vegetarian dishes. Not a risotto or butternut squash to be seen.

Andrew Chapman
👍

Thu 19 Apr 2018, 18:09

Miles, of course, means the Gardener's Arms on Plantation Road and not the Gardener's Arms a few hundred yards away on North Parade Avenue!

Miles Walkden
👍

Thu 19 Apr 2018, 18:00

The Gardener's Arms in Jericho is great (and I'm not a veggie).

Heather Williams
👍

Thu 19 Apr 2018, 16:18

www.al-shami.co.uk/alshami-menu/

Al shami used to be really nice, haven't been for a long time, but food was excellent.

Nicola Morgan
👍

Thu 19 Apr 2018, 14:44

Can anyone recommend a good vegetarian restaurant in Oxford or surrounding area for a birthday celebration. We're bored with mushroom risotto

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.