general data protection regulation

Karen Biles
👍

Thu 12 Apr 2018, 19:18

Unfortunately due to unforeseen circumstances I'm not available to attend.

Hannen Beith
👍

Thu 12 Apr 2018, 09:46 (last edited on Thu 12 Apr 2018, 09:46)

I'm unlikely to be at the meeting tonight. I'll try and get some material to Jon by email today i.e. a blog I wrote, a template Privacy Policy, and "my" GDPR route map.
But don't panic! I think small unincorporated organisations/charities are going to be extremely far down on the Information Commissioner's list.
Also - do ask yourselves whether you do hold data! If it's just a name and tel number or email, for a few days, don't bother.
If you have a website, or hold emails for a regular newsletter, your risk increases.
There is an element of proportionality here. E.g. If Amazon are going to send me regular newsletters (which they do) then I expect them to take care of my personal details. I do not expect to have to sign a consent form every time they give my name and address to the delivery courier!

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Wed 11 Apr 2018, 19:52

Last bookings please!

Hans Eriksson
👍

Wed 4 Apr 2018, 14:11

A program on Radio4 about GDPR at 3pm today.

Leah Fowler
👍

Tue 3 Apr 2018, 17:15

Sorry Jon I can't make that either

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Tue 3 Apr 2018, 08:36

✳️✳️ If you plan to attend the meeting on April 12, please email charlburyrefugee@gmail.com with a note of which organisation you represent, so we have an idea of numbers and can arrange the seating. ✳️✳️

Karen Biles
👍

Sun 1 Apr 2018, 17:00

I would like to attend

Hannen Beith
👍

Sat 31 Mar 2018, 18:00 (last edited on Sun 1 Apr 2018, 08:23)

I'll try and pop in if the CSF meeting finishes early.

Frances Webber
👍

Sat 31 Mar 2018, 11:20

CRAG has booked the Friends Meeting House on Thursday 12 April at 8pm for an open round table discussion and sharing of expertise and info among charity groups, community organisations etc (no cost). Those who feel they need further info/ training, or can't make the round table, or who would prefer it, could go to Hannen - and perhaps commercial enterprises.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Sat 31 Mar 2018, 11:16

We (CRAG] are in the process of fixing a date and venue. If you are a member of a group that has not expressed an interest here, please tell your chair or membership secretary about this thread. If you want to send the link, it's forum.charlbury.info/thread/5148

Hannen Beith
👍

Sat 31 Mar 2018, 10:17

A lot of interest! This link is incredibly useful and helpful for all charities and not for profit organisations:

https://www.institute-of-fundraising.org.uk/guidance/research/get-ready-for-gdpr/

Michael White
👍

Sat 31 Mar 2018, 10:06

I would be interested on behalf of Charlbury Probus Club

Hannen Beith
👍

Fri 30 Mar 2018, 19:22

Fantastic! I'd be happy to share knowledge if someone could organise a time/date/venue.
I've already advised several small companies, charities and individuals. Hans is right - there's a lot of stuff on the ICO website, but it's general and people need answers to the queries that apply to their organisations.
It's significant that hardly a week passes now without some big outfit getting "caught", and they have expensive lawyers to guide them!
Don't panic! I have a strategy for small outfits and charities which ensures compliance.
Btw, if you are already registered under the DPA 1998 you are a long way to compliance.

Brigid Avison
👍

Fri 30 Mar 2018, 17:25

I am also interested, thanks all for the offers to share knowledge.

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Fri 30 Mar 2018, 16:39

Charlbury WI would also be interested.

vicky burton
👍

Thu 29 Mar 2018, 21:41

Safety & Environmental Consulting would be interested too.

Graham Chamberlain
👍

Thu 29 Mar 2018, 20:11

Charlbury Art Society would definitely be interested.

Peter Bennett
👍

Thu 29 Mar 2018, 20:09

The Charlbury Society will be interested, Frances & Jon.

Hannen Beith
👍

Wed 28 Mar 2018, 18:15

Frances - happy to share my knowledge at such a meeting. FOC.

Hannen Beith
👍

Wed 28 Mar 2018, 17:39

Well said Jon.

I am a GDPR Consultant and have helped companies and charities and all in between to become compliant.
I'm thinking of producing an "idiots' guide" for all those affected but would have to charge something - if only to help with my PII premium, and the hours and money invested so far.

The model I have in mind is a stack of templates, with (paid) advice if required. All charges as modest as I can make them, for the good people of Charlbury.

My aim is to offer a low cost service to lots of people/organisations.

Probably better to email me here, or at my business email: hannen@legalbusinesshelp.co.uk

It's not rocket science, but then again it's not simply a tick box exercise.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Wed 28 Mar 2018, 14:58

Glancing through the lists of local groups included under 'Community' above, there are at least between 20 and 30 organisations that need to take this on board and comply not just with the new and stricter data protection law, but ensure that they have (and have recorded) individuals' permissions to receive emails and for precisely what purposes.

There will certainly be a lot of media coverage when the GDPR comes into force (May 25) and people will understand what constitutes illegal data use and illegal emailing, and will have no difficulty finding out where to seek legal redress. To be on a mailing list, a person will have to have given positive assent. No longer will it be sufficient not to have opted out, you have to have opted IN. All that is equally true whether you are a business, a school, a church, a gardening club or an art group.

Just being a paid-up member of an organisation doesn't mean that after May 25 it can send you emails, or indeed keep what information it likes about you, whether on a computer, in the cloud or on paper. Unless you have given clear and specific consent.

Hence CRAG's willingness to share what we plan to do, and hopefully learn from how others are responding.

Leah Fowler
👍

Tue 27 Mar 2018, 18:37

I would be interested

Hans Eriksson
👍

Tue 27 Mar 2018, 18:17

As a start have a look at ICO's guidelines - they look simple enough.
ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/

Frances Webber
👍

Tue 27 Mar 2018, 17:22

All organisations, however small, with mailing lists will need to get up to speed with the GDPR in time for May. A round table discussion might be useful to share good practice. Anyone interested? If so, CRAG could convene one after Easter.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.