Musical Sunday

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Thu 14 Mar, 15:08 (last edited on Thu 14 Mar, 15:08)

This Sunday is St Patrick’s Day, and so our Choral Evensong will feature music by the great Irish composer Charles Villiers Stanford.

The Magnificat and Nunc Dimittis are his service in B flat – a joyous, uplifting Magnificat followed by the lovely melodic Nunc sung by the tenors and basses. The anthem is his airy setting of the Lenten hymn ‘O for a closer walk with God’, and we’ll finish with his rousing setting of the traditional ‘I bind unto myself today’ aka St Patrick’s Breastplate – all “whirling wind” and flashing of lightning!

Revd John Witheridge is preaching and St Mary’s Choir are singing (and I’m playing the organ… which does indeed go up to 11 for the last verse of St Patrick’s Breastplate).

6pm at St Mary’s on Sunday for just under an hour – all very welcome.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Fri 30 Nov 2018, 11:55

Another musical weekend coming up with the Speakeasy tonight, Vox Chamber Choir tomorrow and Choral Evensong on Sunday.

At Evensong, the St Mary's Choir will be singing Philip Moore's haunting Third Service. It's influenced by plainsong yet also has really rich harmonies with the four parts playing off each other - very memorable. The anthem is Charles Wood's exuberant 'O Thou the Central Orb' and the responses are Richard Ayleward's 17th century setting.

All are welcome - it starts at 6 and lasts just under an hour.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Fri 21 Sep 2018, 17:12

Our Evensong this Sunday (23rd) is our annual "Come and Sing" Evensong - you can come along to the service at 6pm, or if you'd like to take part in the singing, join in the rehearsal from 4 o'clock. We've chosen the music to be on the accessible side - a little less part-singing than usual and strong melodies. But it's Vaughan Williams and Howells so it's still all good stuff! More details at www.charlbury.info/events/5652 .

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Sat 23 Jun 2018, 18:45

We have another Choral Evensong this Sunday (24th) - some really lovely music. (All by past organists of Gloucester Cathedral, as it happens! Full list on the events page.) Do come.

Jody O'Reilly
👍

Sun 25 Mar 2018, 21:34

I wish I'd spotted this, or other publicity sooner. Sad to have missed it.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Sun 25 Mar 2018, 09:31

I do enjoy the CRAG concerts in the Memorial Hall, not least because my study is directly over the wall from the hall, so I get to enjoy live music while working...!

Once you've listened to some bass viol-ence this afternoon, we have another musical excursion - Choral Evensong at St Mary's. We've recently started doing this service three or four times a year. It's unique to the Church of England - a musically led service with settings of the Magnificat (the Song of Mary) and the Nunc Dimittis (the Song of Simeon), a psalm in the distinctive 'Anglican chant' style, the Tudor-style unaccompanied 'preces and responses', and a choir anthem chosen to fit the day (in this case, a modern setting of 'Ride On' by the Oxford composer Grayston Ives). Plus some good hymns. It's less participatory than a standard church service - no-one will ask you to shake hands at the peace and you don't have to sing the hymns if you don't want to. (Though the ones today are cracking tunes!)

Six o'clock and everyone is welcome: more details at www.charlbury.info/events/5421 .

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2019. Contributions are the opinion of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.