Eurostar

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Sat 24 Mar 2018, 08:55

Thanks Ian.... I'm not travelling for a while so hopefully things will have settled down by then (?)

Ian Lewis
👍

Fri 23 Mar 2018, 21:50

Be aware that the Eurostar service is also affected by the strike action in france that is currently ongoing.

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Fri 23 Mar 2018, 14:33

I have received so much useful information in relation to my query. I'd like to say a big thank you to Stephen, Katie and Christine for taking time to respond, and extra thanks to Christine for the sheer volume of information. I really do appreciate it all. I couldn't have found out all that by myself I don't think.
Now I'm smiling :)

Philip Ambrose
👍

Fri 23 Mar 2018, 00:08

"I think I'll just stay in Charlbury, so avoiding potholes" - unlikely given the state of the roads in and around Charlbury!

Hannen Beith
👍

Thu 22 Mar 2018, 19:06

I think I'll just stay in Charlbury, so avoiding potholes, trains, and all the other vicissitudes of life in modern Britain.

Christine Battersby
👍

Thu 22 Mar 2018, 10:40 (last edited on Thu 22 Mar 2018, 10:46)

PS to Stephen's post:
On getting to Oxford Parkway by bus: there is one direct bus very early (6.20 from Bell) (6.10 Saturdays). No buses on Sunday or bank holidays at all, of course. Otherwise change at Woodstock.

Bus 500 is usually better from Woodstock if you have luggage as it goes right up to Oxford Parkway Station, whereas no 7 drops you on Oxford Road (bus stop E) which is a short walk away, down a slope.

On the way back, there are 2 direct buses from Oxford Parkway (stop E, up the slope & across the road) on the Oxford Rd: 18.48 (no 7) & 00.28 (N7, bus passes not valid) to Wychwood Close. Otherwise you will need to change at Woodstock or go into Oxford. Bus 500 does not run in the evenings (after 19.22). However, bus no 7 does run in the evenings to Woodstock, with 2 routed through Charlbury. It's from the Oxford Rd Stop E stop (hourly).

In London the 205 bus runs from just outside Marylebone station to St Pancras, very near the station, or you can walk (c. 4 mins) down to Marylebone Rd for several other choices, as well as the tube, of course. Bus is extremely good with luggage, & also free if you have a pass.

It's harder to get back from St Pancras than to get there, because of the timings & infrequency of the S3 & no 7 & 500 buses in the evenings. So you could also decide to stay on the train from Marylebone to Oxford Station & take the Charlbury train from there. Or take a no 2 bus from Stop E Oxford Parkway (on the Oxford Rd) towards Oxford to Summertown & walk up South Parade to pick up the S3 on the Woodstock Rd.

Your alternatives include taking the S3 to Oxford Bus Station or the X9 to Witney & take the London buses to Baker Street from there. The Oxford route is better if coming back, because of the infrequency of the X9 bus.

Katie Ewer
👍

Thu 22 Mar 2018, 10:21

I went on Eurostar for the first time this week. As Stephen says the Chiltern line is the best option. The trains run about every half an hour and the journey takes less than an hour. I drove to Water Eaton (£8 to park for 48h), took the train to Marylebone (£32.70 return with underground) then either walk or tube (Bakerloo line) to Baker Street, change onto Hammersmith & City or Metropolitan line. It's only 3 stops and then you're at St Pancras.

Stephen Andrews
👍

Thu 22 Mar 2018, 08:31

S3 bus to Woodstock, S7 or 500 to Oxford Parkway/Water Eaton, reliable and cheaper Chiltern Line to Marylebone, then Tube (5 min signed street walk to Baker St if you want to be even more efficient) to St Pancras Int. If you do not want to travel on the Tube, there are regular buses between Marylebone and St Pancras

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Thu 22 Mar 2018, 08:14

Does anyone have any top tips for getting to St Pancras International, by bus. I can't trust the trains to get me there on time. :(

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.