Cold calling, is this a new tack

Peter Bridgman
👍

Thu 22 Mar 2018, 18:56

Todays caller's number was 01604 926043 I think that is a Northampton number.

Stephen Andrews
👍

Thu 22 Mar 2018, 11:13

Just got the same call - number is 01604 926043. I have since barred it, but wonder why it is not blocked in the first place up as I am also registered for TPS service and it is a UK number?

Christine Battersby
👍

Thu 22 Mar 2018, 11:05

This is a longstanding scam. These security scammers often say that they are police & fire station approved. They are not. They also often say that they are making a special visit to the Charlbury area.

These companies make their money from installing the system & then also the upkeep. People often lose £1000s. One firm has been prosecuted, but others have sprung up to take its place.

If you have the telephone number of these callers, Peter, why not post it here?

I always block these numbers using 1572 on BT. Having said this, I generally get at least 1 scam call a day - yesterday 3 (alas). At the moment these tend to be people with interests in my washing machine, my TV, green deals of various types, & problems with Windows on my computer, or also with BT or even TPS. Very annoying!

Peter Bridgman
👍

Thu 22 Mar 2018, 10:54

I have spoken to the police. It seems they are aware of people trying to sell useless gadgets, possibly with other ulteria otives. All he could say was put the phone down and maybe get the call blocked. Peter

Peter Bridgman
👍

Thu 22 Mar 2018, 10:36

Another call on the same lines. A different girl this time but same speal. I let her ramble on longer until she said they could visit me to discus setting me up with some sort of device for £99 that could help to, protect me. At this point I said 'no thanks' ans put the phone down. Wh oever and whatever these people are it sounfd pretty sudpicious to me, but it does worry me that others may be taken in.

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Wed 21 Mar 2018, 15:07

No I don't think you are being cynical, Peter. I think you did exactly the right thing.

Peter Bridgman
👍

Wed 21 Mar 2018, 12:29

Today at 12.10 pm I answered a call from a woman who said she is 'the co-ordinator for the OX7 area@ I said co-ordinator pf what? She then said there have been a lot of burglaries in this area and they wanted to take some action against them. She went on to say that they are n ot police,but think they can do some good. At this point I said @thank you' and put the phone down. I suspect that her next suggestion was that they could call on me and look how secure my house is an d whether I have anything that might be of interest to a burglar- or am I being cynicsl?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.