More new sports at the Commuity Centre?

Steven Fairhurst Jones
👍

Sat 14 Apr 2018, 12:07

Going back to Charlotte's post (21 March), please see the updated details for the volleyball session on Wednesdays - now at the new start time of 8pm (until 10pm).

The first session for new players is free of charge, and there's no commitment to play beyond that. So please come along on Wednesday and join what should be a good session for those wanting to give it a try. We'll take it easy and bring beginners along at a speed to suit fitness and ability.

Steven
07879 063 934

Martin prew
👍

Fri 30 Mar 2018, 16:14

For any one interested in archery there is a local club at northleigh called windrush bowmen. (www.windrushbowmen.org.uk)The beginners course starts in may and is held at northliegh football club where you can also target shoot all summer. There are indoor targets at eynsham in the winter. They also have 40 acre field archery course on the outskirts of charlbury where members can shoot 365 days of the year from sun up to sundown.

Christine Battersby
👍

Thu 29 Mar 2018, 20:15

Stephen, Thanks for your suggestion. I had rather supposed that there was a Table Tennis Table in the Green Room already. There used to be one in the Memorial Hall! And the Green Room is an ideal size.

But until I know my back will stand up to it, Finstock is probably best. I think it's £1.50 per person per session (or it used to be), with no need to pre-book. After all, I was quite keen on taking up Pickleball, until I discovered that my back does not like it. Again, I might come back to you further down the line.

Stephen Andrews
👍

Thu 29 Mar 2018, 19:33 (last edited on Thu 29 Mar 2018, 19:33)

Christine, Why not try out the Green room at the Memorial Hall? I am sure if there was a reasonable demand a table could be acquired.

Christine Battersby
👍

Thu 29 Mar 2018, 16:51

Tanya, Thanks for your enquiry about my suggestion for Table Tennis in the Community Centre. No, I'm not yet sorted out.

I was contacted by 2 people (a couple), but at the moment don't see Table Tennis in the Community Hall as an option to take forward. 1 table for 2 hours might work, but I would need to assess my fitness before trying to find enough people to commit to a regular slot.

I will investigate this through opting for the much more flexible facilities at Finstock (on Tuesday evenings). Going to Finstock seems fine during the summer months, but would not be so appealing on winter evenings. So I suppose I might come back to you later in the year - or if there is a surge of people interested in Table Tennis in Charlbury itself.

Tanya Stevenson
👍

Thu 29 Mar 2018, 15:46

The Community Centre also has a fair few Saturday and Sunday slots becoming free, which were not before. As well as accommodating some of the ideas below, please be aware that this is ideal for children's parties. A coached sports session can held in the main hall followed by a sit-down food party in the TG room.
PS Charlotte and Christine, did you manage to get your needs met?

Miles Walkden
👍

Tue 27 Mar 2018, 14:06

I would be very interested in Archery

Nancy Whitfield
👍

Tue 27 Mar 2018, 05:25

When I lived in Minehead I met a woman involved with the Archery Society and she invited me to Dunster Castle's historical tournament. All dressed in traditional costumes they lined up with their bows to form an arch where a couple, newly married, walked under. Here's some photos of archers all posed in a line, aiming not at a deer, but at a target! England and her archers form a long history and I think it's time to bring back archery into the school curriculum. https://www.gwas.org.uk/dunster-week/

Susie Burnett
👍

Mon 26 Mar 2018, 19:42 (last edited on Mon 26 Mar 2018, 19:44)

Steven, my almost-12-year-old would be interested in archery and the older one was actually very enthusiastic about your volleyball idea, but would want to be with others of a similar age.

John Dora
👍

Mon 26 Mar 2018, 16:34

Fencing and Archery would be things I'd like to start doing (again). Just ideas - I am no expert!

Nicola Leyland
👍

Mon 26 Mar 2018, 09:11

Yes my 12 year old would be interested in archery

Steven Fairhurst Jones
👍

Mon 26 Mar 2018, 09:07

Would anyone like to do archery if the sports hall could accommodate it? I'm not qualified to run a club or offer training but if there's enough interest I'd be happy to help see what's required and whether it can be done. Post here or send me a message via the website!

Tanya Stevenson
👍

Fri 23 Mar 2018, 10:07

Christine, if there are 8 people who'd like a regular table tennis slot we can put two tables on one court in the main hall and that costs £12 per hour so works out at only £1.50 each. There is already a group that does this on Thursday mornings, but other times are available. Perhaps others might express an interest to you and we could sort something out.

Jenny Chambers
👍

Fri 23 Mar 2018, 07:19

For kids basketball; we often put on basketball during the 7-8 pm Youth Club session on Friday evenings and will be this evening. Get your children to come along!

Christine Battersby
👍

Thu 22 Mar 2018, 11:16

I would love a regular table tennis slot, either during the evenings or also during the daytime. Unfortunately, Pickleball did not work out for me (not good for my back), so I am still looking for a good alternative.

Both Witney & Chippy offer table tennis via U3A, but both at more or less the same time (early Thursday mornings). A later time, & ideally a different day, would be good.

Katie Ewer
👍

Thu 22 Mar 2018, 10:23

I am happy to help, but I would have to learn to play the game itself!

Tanya Stevenson
👍

Wed 21 Mar 2018, 16:54 (last edited on Fri 23 Mar 2018, 10:08)

Now I've given away my age. It's not much over 50!!

Tanya Stevenson
👍

Wed 21 Mar 2018, 16:54

Katie - kids basketball would be great but we might need some help organising it...any offers?

Tanya Stevenson
👍

Wed 21 Mar 2018, 16:52

Charlotte - I'm not sure about the age dynamic of all the classes and clubs (most are not restricted or even aimed at any age group) but there's so much going on that you could do. I have really started enjoying sport since the centre opened rather than it being a chore because I've discovered Pickleball and Leangym (circuits)...but I am over 50 and not working! Assuming you work there's badminton (Mondays), volleyball (Wednesdays), Pickleball (Fridays), Circuit training (Thursdays) all in the evening and more circuits on Sunday mornings. There's also Pilates, Yoga etc and you can hire courts with friends to play racquet sports. Check out the home page of our website, www.charlburycommunitycentre.org.uk - there's a link in the first paragraph to a timetable showing what is on when and then more details on the relevant sports pages. Hope you find something that piques your interest. I'd be amazed if not!

Charlotte Veron
👍

Wed 21 Mar 2018, 13:50

What groups/classes would you recommend for a 32 year old lazy person determined to get fitter?
I'm interested in tennis, badminton, and open minded to try most things really.
Looking for a similar age dynamic (it seems some of the groups are more aimed at the 50+ and under 16s

Katie Ewer
👍

Wed 21 Mar 2018, 12:41

A kids basketball club would be great

Tanya Stevenson
👍

Wed 21 Mar 2018, 11:01

Some prime slots (evenings after 6pm) are becoming available in the Community Centre sports hall from the beginning of April, which were not available before. It would be nice to see some new sports groups take them up. Why not hold a table tennis tournament, a basketball session, netball for beginners or whatever you fancy? Please contact Jenny on 811878 for more details or to talk about your ideas.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.