The poor people of Charlbury and trains

Birgit den Outer
👍

Thu 22 Mar 2018, 18:56

Thanks James, I'll bear it in mind. Although next time I think I'll just (wo)man the barricades/train track straight away and be done with it!

Hannen Beith
👍

Thu 22 Mar 2018, 08:58

Good tip James. Thank you.

Hamish Nichol
👍

Wed 21 Mar 2018, 20:08

Excellent; that's the last time I have to hear from that Styring fella ;-)
So, back to the subject.. I'm assuming nothing came from the meeting with our local MP, is it time to start chasing him for a follow up and tagging him on social media along with GWR with the new and improved posters? Whilst I don't think social media is the solution to life's problems it is quick and with enough people it may get noticed?

James Styring
👍

Wed 21 Mar 2018, 17:07

It's a pity trolling consigned this thread to the bin. People rely on the railway and the trains' unreliability is painful. But it's good to share one's pain, and in the spirit of sharing, I have a recommendation for Birgit, Liz, Hamish, Emily and anyone else who using this Forum who wishes not to be trolled. There's an anti-troll button on the Forum! If you click on the 'x' next to where it says '[name of troll]' the website has a pop-up that says:

Are you sure?
Do you really want to ignore all postings by XXXX?
Yes, ignore their postings ? No

You're welcome.

PS Richard, I can start a new thread on this if you wish.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Mon 19 Mar 2018, 19:48

(I've moved a number of posts focusing on the structure of the railway, and the political background, to the Grease Pit as not being expressly Charlbury-related --Richard)

Birgit den Outer
👍

Mon 19 Mar 2018, 10:06

Ha - thanks Ian and Emily! Glad to hear a substantial number of people caught the train, also a substantial number of people had gone back home.

Ian Lewis
👍

Mon 19 Mar 2018, 09:49

Perhaps "clarify" was the wrong choice of words, I sought to confirm Brigit's original post, but add the information that is was not the usual ticket office staff but a man in a high vis jacket in a GWR van that was passing on information, and that a substantial number of people did actually take the train. Apologies if my note was taken the wrong way.

Emily Algar
👍

Mon 19 Mar 2018, 09:28

So what Birgit said? I think she was pretty clear in her statement concerning the miscommunication from GWR.
Men explain things to us etc etc.

Ian Lewis
👍

Mon 19 Mar 2018, 09:06

Just to clarify, the online app said the train was running, the overhead screens said the train was running. The ticket office was closed but a member of GWR staff was telling everyone that there were no trains until at least 10am despite what the screens were saying. Quite a few people decided to wait until the due time and got on the train. The member of GWR staff did change his mind minutes before the train arrived.

Birgit den Outer
👍

Mon 19 Mar 2018, 08:12 (last edited on Mon 19 Mar 2018, 08:13)

It's not just that trains aren't running - it's the communication about it. You know that 7.49am train we were told wasn't running this morning (Mon 19/3)? It did run after all (the Live Trains app was right), although there was no one at the station to catch it. I was half-way up the hill, staring at the beautiful scenery in frustration when I saw it roll in, and then it was too icy to run to the station. It would be funny if it wasn't so infuriating. Bring on that name and shame campaign.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.