Another scam phone call about the TPS.

Pearl Manners
👍

Sat 10 Mar 2018, 12:09

Haha that's funny Peter. At least we get laugh out of them.

Pearl Manners
👍

Sat 10 Mar 2018, 12:09 (last edited on Sat 10 Mar 2018, 12:09)

Peter Bridgman
👍

Sat 10 Mar 2018, 11:53

Perhaps the telephone people are catching up with some of these rougues.While i was out on Thursday evening the recoded voice told me that I was rung up on this number 01708349785, after which she said 'please hang up'

Pearl Manners
👍

Sat 10 Mar 2018, 07:03 (last edited on Sat 10 Mar 2018, 07:22)

Actually yesterday was first day not had one from 'them' for a week so there's hope yet I suppose, fingers crossed.

Stephen Andrews
👍

Fri 9 Mar 2018, 18:42

Phone Coop operate the Talk Talk service as well - subscribed and activated regularly six weeks ago - daily nuisance calls now a rarity. Result!

Roy Coates
👍

Fri 9 Mar 2018, 18:02

Our landline rental is now with Talktalk who supply our broadband connection. They have a free Last Caller Barring Service. By dialling 14258 after the call you are then invited to block that number by dialling **. You can also get the number registered as 'scam' or 'marketing'. In case you have made a mistake you can unblock numbers later. We started using it a couple of months ago when we were getting regular nuisance calls and they are now very rare. I don't know if BT have a similar system, but I would be surprised if they do not have one.

Pearl Manners
👍

Fri 9 Mar 2018, 11:02

Sounds familiar doesn't it. My first one today has been from Humidifier company no message but when looked up number that's what showed me. Such a pain.

Janet Burroughs
👍

Fri 9 Mar 2018, 10:11

Not just Talk Talk. We have had similar, though at periodic intervals rather than daily, allegedly from BT. Have been told that email system being up graded and unless we do something within days will lose it! Or they have concerns about security of internet connection as "someone is watching" and it needs sorting.

Pearl Manners
👍

Fri 9 Mar 2018, 07:25 (last edited on Fri 9 Mar 2018, 07:26)

Well I am distressed at getting call everyday this week from Talk Talk saying press a number to take you to engineer otherwise our Internet will go down.(needless say I have not done as they say and still have Internet connected....it's particularly upsetting when waiting for more urgent calls.)

Brian Murray
👍

Thu 8 Mar 2018, 22:27

Two questions to these callers will get rid of them almost immediately;

(1) whereabouts are you calling from? (and by the way, 01525 is Leighton Buzzard, Beds)
(2) what does your mother think of your trying to steal money from people?

OK, someone else will probably call you but in the mean time you can at least enjoy the moment of their realising that they have not caught you.

Sue Normand
👍

Thu 8 Mar 2018, 20:33

I had 2 calls today - called themselves TFM - Telephone Preference Management..

Andrew Greenfield
👍

Thu 8 Mar 2018, 19:17

Two more calls today but from a slightly changed number this time, 01525 839584.
Caller display tells us first that it's international but then this number shows and calling 1471 also gives this number.
I think I'll get a referee's whistle and deafen them if it keeps going on!

Carolyn Connolly
👍

Thu 8 Mar 2018, 15:29

We too have had around 10 calls from this number or similar and have yet to speak with anyone on the line. It says it is an international number but looks like a UK number. There is also another scam which is going around involving ringing back on missed calls not sure of details but a friend on facebook got caught out and it cost her a lot of money for an overseas call.

Christine Battersby
👍

Thu 8 Mar 2018, 14:54

Peter, yes it is in my experience. I use 1572 to block scam calls, and I do this on an individual basis so that legitimate calls don't get put into a junk folder by BT. On several occasions I have tried to block what seems to have been a UK number, only to be told by the voice recording that it is an international one.

More usual is the opposite scenario. A number shows up as an international on my call display, but I find there is a hidden UK number underneath that can in fact be blocked.

I have to say I just can't work out how good 1572 is, since I still get very frequent scam calls - but no longer about the TPS, I am pleased to say.

Peter Bridgman
👍

Thu 8 Mar 2018, 12:31

When i come home I always dial 1471 to see if anyone has rung me whils i have been away. Three times over the past week or so the recorded voice has given me what appears to be a legitimate number. Today it was 01854168854. On ringing this number back, the same voice tells me 'the number you have dialed has not been recognised' Is this a common occurance? Allrether puzzling.

Alice Brander
👍

Wed 7 Mar 2018, 20:38

Other scams to look out for - Privacy Protect UK Ltd. & Call Secure UK. My mother in N. Wales has been targeted by both. Each time taking £149.99. We've reported both to Trading Standards and Action Fraud.

Janet Burroughs
👍

Wed 7 Mar 2018, 11:14

We had 2 calls from this number yesterday midday. I spoke to Richard?? who found pronouncing our name and our address challenging. And then hopefully found continuing the conversation challenging as, unfortunately for him, I didn't have a copy of his script, and did not answer his questions as he wanted. Kept answers very non-committal. But, like Andrew, as soon as card details were mentioned I ended the call.
My husband also answered a call and he adopts Charlie's strategy and has a bit of fun. His main strategy was to string them along and then to finally tell them he is the gardener and they end the call!! He did ask where the call was from and was quickly given a London address, too quickly he felt.
As Robin says, they whoever they are, were clearly targeting Charlbury yesterday and from background noise heard were calling from a call centre of sorts.

Alex Flynn
👍

Wed 7 Mar 2018, 11:13

Charlbury is probably targeted as it's full of wealthy retired people.

Alex Flynn
👍

Wed 7 Mar 2018, 11:10

I have my own TPS system. Unless i recognise the number I don't answer it. Alternatively I am free to unplug my phone at will. Most people have mobiles now anyway and the same applies. Oh and remember to tick the no marketing boxes and whenever you give out your address info to anyone request no marketing asking to see them tick the box.

Hannen Beith
👍

Wed 7 Mar 2018, 09:29

Always worth reporting these to the Information Commissioner' office. They track and trace them and then take remedial action.
ico.org.uk/concerns/nuisance-calls-and-messages/

stephen cavell
👍

Wed 7 Mar 2018, 07:49

Sounds like the people of Charlbury are at least improving the Anglo-Saxon vocabulary of these nuisance callers. I am always nervous that I may be too quick off the mark and be insulting a good friend.

Charlie M
👍

Wed 7 Mar 2018, 07:26 (last edited on Wed 7 Mar 2018, 07:26)

I post this link in case it is of interest ...
who-called.co.uk/Number/01525839588
... people in Charlbury are obviously not the first to be targeted by these morons.
Of particular interest were the comments about a) "a disguised international number" and b) "numbers similar to 01525 ...".
If a) is correct, then presumably our people here can do little about it, but in that case, why would they go to the trouble of using a name different to the TPS?
Apart from putting the phone down on them, the other thing I would suggest (if you have the time to waste), is to have a bit of sport with them; I have done this with similar calls in the past, and it at least stops them for the duration of the call from trying to scam some *other* poor SID. (For "I", read "O" in the previous word) ;-)

Robin Taylor
👍

Tue 6 Mar 2018, 21:42

Goodness, they must have been targeting Charlbury big time, we had three as well. I only answered the first, and in answer to the question 'Are you receiving nuisance and scam phone calls?', I replied, 'Only this one' and put the phone down.

Terry Walker
👍

Tue 6 Mar 2018, 20:24

We have also received three calls today from the same number as Andrew, and yes you got it right Andrew I did tell them to go to ####. Sorry I can't find the word in the dictionary therefore I can't spell it.

Jody O'Reilly
👍

Tue 6 Mar 2018, 20:21

These calls are increasingly my only nuisance calls - oh the irony! Had quite a rant at them last time, they seemed impervious to my complaint that they were the ones making a nuisance call to me!

Helen Wilkinson
👍

Tue 6 Mar 2018, 19:55

We also had 3 calls in 30 minutes from this number this afternoon - infuriating.

Andrew Greenfield
👍

Tue 6 Mar 2018, 16:06

We have had two calls today about two hours apart, both from 01525 839588 from Asian women (possibly the same person both times) asking if we get unwanted phone calls and whether or not we pay for out phone line rental by Direct Debit. She wanted the card details to make sure their info was up to date (Hah!) and got quite angry when I told her the first time to go away, and I put the phone down.
She originally told me she was from the Telephone Preference Management service; note that name as it is not the TPS, which will never phone you.
If you should get a call similar to this one just tell them to go to ####.
You can fill in the blank with whatever you want.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.