Enstone Road to A44 safely passable - or icy?

nigel rosser
👍

Sun 4 Mar 2018, 18:12

The road to Stonesfield is blocked before Fawler by an abandoned vehicle. However if you carry on down the road towards Finstock you can take the next left and return to the road. Also, the road to Finstock is only partially cleared in some places and there are drifts on one of the lanes which is what presumably caused a small blue car to topple onto its side there this afternoon. The people looked ok.

Jim Holah
👍

Sun 4 Mar 2018, 09:41

I've seen gritters / snowploughs working the Enstone Rd Friday / Saturday so everyone's been doing their bit...along with the tractor owners. Thanks to all the local authority teams working hard through this weather.

Katie Ewer
👍

Sun 4 Mar 2018, 08:06

I had a fairly horrendous experience yesterday in a taxi back from Heathrow with a driver who insisted on following his satnav to bring me back from Oxford via the A40 through East End to Fawler. It's probably obvious to everyone (except him) that all the roads around there are completely treacherous, even for some 4x4 and vehicles with snow chains. Ended up stranded with my suitcase for 40 minutes while my husband came the long way round to retrieve me.

Mark Sulik
👍

Sat 3 Mar 2018, 21:26

No gritting in or around Charlbury - Lots of local Farmers and Tractors doing the work - well done you Tractor boys

Philip Ambrose
👍

Sat 3 Mar 2018, 19:18

Went along Woodstock Road to Judd's yesterday to Bicester and back. Single file in places but OK. Didn't see tarmac until Woodstock. A doddle from there onwards. On return took B road towards Wootton but turned left at Oxford Drama School as road ahead was blocked. Much depends upon your vehicle - 4x4? front wheel drive? winter tyres? No evidence of gritting in immediate vicinity of Charlbury yesterday, doubtless Oxford and Witney were like sandpits!

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Sat 3 Mar 2018, 18:30

Supposed to be going to Oxford this evening in a group but the taxi firm withdrew citing weather. How is the Enstone Rd to Judd's garage this evening? Looked completely clear from the field off Hundley Way where it could be seen and vehicles passing by normally. Assuming the A44 cleared and gritted by now.

More relevantly, are there areas of the route which are constricted by drifting or could become dangerous with icing assuming the temperature drops later tonight for the return route, but if the roads are as clear, and presumably gritted, as that we could see, are there likely to any problems apart from don't drive too fast in case of hidden icing?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.