Woodstock Road passable - but take it slow

John Munro
👍

Sat 3 Mar 2018, 20:17

Charlbury to Enstone is generally OK, but like other roads, there are some fairly deep drifts and sections of single lane.
Enstone to Chippy is similar, as is Chippy north to Shipston. Beyond that the snow decreases significantly as you head north and east.

Philip Ambrose
👍

Sat 3 Mar 2018, 19:20

Went along Woodstock Road to Judd's yesterday to Bicester and back. Single file in places but OK. Didn't see tarmac until Woodstock. A doddle from there onwards. On return took B road towards Wootton but turned left at Oxford Drama School as road ahead was blocked. Much depends upon your vehicle - 4x4? front wheel drive? winter tyres? No evidence of gritting in immediate vicinity of Charlbury yesterday, doubtless Oxford and Witney were like sandpits!

Susan Terry
👍

Sat 3 Mar 2018, 17:50

Thanks Janet, very helpful. We're going to give it a go.

PJ Honey
👍

Sat 3 Mar 2018, 17:45 (last edited on Sat 3 Mar 2018, 17:51)

We got into Oxford in a normal car around half 2 with no trouble at all and in usual time. There's the occasional single lane where the piled snow is blocking the road sides but that's it. The back of Blenheim onwards is clear. Once in central Oxford the snow has been cleared away like it never fell.

Seems it's just Stagecoach and GWR overreacting by withdrawing public transport all day.

Janet Burroughs
👍

Sat 3 Mar 2018, 17:12

Hi Susan
Haven't travelled the road, but looking at it from my window, the road surface at the top of Woodstock Road looks pretty good. I have seen some traffic on the road and it seems to be moving fine - mainly 4x4, but some cars. But there is a drift at the top of the hill so only single track there. And I suspect that this will be the case further along the road too.

Susan Terry
👍

Sat 3 Mar 2018, 16:02

Does anyone know how the Woodstock road is looking this afternoon? We are hoping to get into Oxford this evening and as all trains are cancelled driving is our only option. I would be grateful if anyone has an update.

Matthew Greenfield
👍

Sat 3 Mar 2018, 14:23

Has anyone been on the road to Enstone? Planning to go that way tomorrow (Sunday)....

nigel rosser
👍

Sat 3 Mar 2018, 14:17

The road to Witney through Finstock and Hailey is fine, a bit narrow in places. The back route, by the bird in hand pub, starts off fine then stops as there are three abandoned cars which the snowplough clearly could not pass. By the time you reach them it is a long to reverse back!

Maggie Watts
👍

Sat 3 Mar 2018, 13:52

Thanks Jean.

Jean Adams
👍

Sat 3 Mar 2018, 13:31

Fawler Road to Witney open but please drive slowly as the slush is being thrown over my house .

Maggie Watts
👍

Sat 3 Mar 2018, 13:22

Does anyone know about the road to Witney?

Sue Normand
👍

Sat 3 Mar 2018, 12:58

Anyone been along the road since Paul?

Paul Butler
👍

Sat 3 Mar 2018, 11:33

We have just driven from Charlbury, and are en route to the South. Woodstock Road is passable, but slushy and down to one lane in places. This is also true of the A44, which is less slushy but narrows in places, and some people are driving very fast because it looks clear. We are not in a 4x4. Civilisation is out there...

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.