Confused of Charlbury

Hannen Beith
👍

Fri 9 Mar 2018, 18:54

No Peter, I agree. I still have to work out which is box 1 and which is box 2. All the black boxes look the same to me...

Peter Bennett
👍

Fri 9 Mar 2018, 18:04

In December last I put out a black box filled with small electrical items for collection with other recycling. It was not taken, so I called WODC and was told the lorries are not equipped to collect these. The officer took my details and said someone would call for them separately. Nothing happened, so I tried again and this time they were taken. I gathered that they sent someone specially, which would not appear to be an efficient way of doing things.

James Styring
👍

Fri 9 Mar 2018, 10:46

Actually I think I dropped it into the box too harshly and it fell foul of the 'must not be wedged in' stipulation. So I will hammer it into little pieces this weekend so it all falls in and out nicely for them next time.

Hannen Beith
👍

Fri 9 Mar 2018, 09:21

James, it probably didn't fall within the definition of "small electrical" - which is not defined!
Or you failed to put a rubber band around the cable.
Or you put it in black box 1 when everyone knows it should go in black box 2 (although it's impossible to tell them apart).
Hope this helps. ;-)

James Styring
👍

Thu 8 Mar 2018, 14:54

I put a broken printer in the recycling black box for recycling y/day as per the regulations and the crews carefully stepped around it whilst taking away all the other recycling. Now they have to come back for it another day. #pointless

Veronica Stallwood
👍

Tue 6 Mar 2018, 17:50

Robert Dyas in Witney took my dead low-energy light bulbs. I think I clicked a link on the WODC website to find the nearest place to dispose of them. I've put several 'small electricals' (an electric toothbrush, for example) in my black bin--carefully labelled 'small electricals'-- but it's never been emptied. Curry's happily accept any electrical goods for recycling whether you bought them there or not, I've found. And Sainsbury's are very helpful over disposing of bulbs/batteries/anything. Personally I miss the convenience of the pink bin at Spendlove.

Hans Eriksson
👍

Tue 6 Mar 2018, 16:35

Light bulbs - Sainsburys in Witney has a bin. And upgrade to LED bulbs, they last forever. I buy mine at Screwfix.

Andrew Greenfield
👍

Tue 6 Mar 2018, 15:55

Hannen, thanks for the info about small electricals. I did a quick online search but must have missed that.
However, it still does not tell us what to do with light bulbs etc, of which I have many waiting to go - - somewhere?
Any idea Liz; you seem to manage to get this detailed info for us when we ask.

Hannen Beith
👍

Tue 6 Mar 2018, 14:20

Andrew - see:
www.westoxon.gov.uk/residents/bins-recycling/household-recycling/
small electricals into recycling box 2 (whatever that is) but tape or electric band the cables.
No
Broken glass
Drinking glasses
Light bulbs

Whether glass can be put in the grey bin I have no idea.

Andrew Greenfield
👍

Tue 6 Mar 2018, 11:15

Very slightly off topic here but can someone tell me what we should do with small broken electrical articles now that the bin has gone from the Spendlove site, and finally used light bulbs and fluorescent tubes; I refuse to go all the way to Dix Pit with a few items like that.

Philip Ambrose
👍

Tue 6 Mar 2018, 11:01

Thank you councillor for clarification.

Liz Reason
👍

Sun 4 Mar 2018, 17:45

Sustainable Charlbury's meeting to learn the reasons for all this (perhaps!) with WODC and OCC was postponed because of the weather. Watch out for the new date.

Liz Leffman
👍

Sun 4 Mar 2018, 12:13 (last edited on Sun 4 Mar 2018, 12:16)

Because everything we put in our blue bins goes through a machine now for separation into different channels and glass can get broken and difficult to remove so has to be handled separately. The bottles and jars do not get put into the same container as the rest of the recycling thought they do use the same lorry to collect it. So please put bottles and jars in a separate bin.

Hannen Beith
👍

Sat 3 Mar 2018, 09:50

I agree Philip. Why don't we just put all the glass in the blue top bins and get rid of the unsightly black boxes?

Philip Ambrose
👍

Fri 2 Mar 2018, 20:13 (last edited on Fri 2 Mar 2018, 20:43)

In support of Paul, I spotted the guys empty my recycling bin, then seemingly tip the glass box in too, so why segregate glass from other recycling?

Paul Taylor
👍

Fri 2 Mar 2018, 17:14

Just to clarify there's no need to worry what goes where in what bin

glena chadwick
👍

Fri 2 Mar 2018, 15:27

Not really Paul. The bins at Spendlove probably date from before WODC had the automatic recycling machines (at least they look as if they do !). So why renew them unnecessarily.

Paul Taylor
👍

Fri 2 Mar 2018, 13:21

It's pointless to put it in correct bins at the recycling point only to mix it up again to resort back at the depot. Just a waist of time and money.

Liz Leffman
👍

Thu 1 Mar 2018, 16:02 (last edited on Thu 1 Mar 2018, 16:02)

All our recycling is now mixed, and sorted automatically at the depot. Please don't just shove everything into the grey bin - that will go to landfill or incineration.

Hannen Beith
👍

Thu 1 Mar 2018, 12:12

Well I braved the ice on Fisher's Lane (in my car) to take some stuff to the recycle place behind the Co-op.
Parked in Spendlove and got hemmed in by a big lorry emptying the various bins. No problem, as I was not in a hurry.
But I saw that all the big bins were emptied into the lorry. I couldn't be sure but it didn't look like the "operatives" (bless them for turning out in such weather) were sorting anything.
Just wondering if it is sorted back at base. If it isn't I think I shall just shove everything in my grey bin and save the effort and trip.
I hope to be reassured by one with more knowledge than me.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.