What caused the Sonic boom, if that was what it was?

Angela Moore
👍

Thu 1 Feb 2018, 10:43

Last sonic boom rattled the windows in the house and brought people out onto the streets. It's really impressive. I didn't notice this one?

Robin Taylor
👍

Wed 31 Jan 2018, 21:28

I'd have thought that if it was a sonic boom, there would have been more reports, and from a much wider area. Up here at the top of Enstone Road, it sounded like the noise caused by something heavy crashing to the floor in the bedroom above me, and the internal plasterboard wall below vibrated, rattling the doors in it.

Philip Ambrose
👍

Wed 31 Jan 2018, 18:48

Usual interceptors are RAF Eurofighter Typhoons based at Coningsby, Lincolnshire. Sonic boom can cover huge area.

Jean Adams
👍

Wed 31 Jan 2018, 17:01

Just before 1 pm

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Wed 31 Jan 2018, 16:25

What time was this as didn't notice anything unusual... we've a big dog who goes through his dog door fast and loud so didn't notice anything coming to my attention that would have distinguished the typical double bang of a ss aircraft from the sharp double bang of the door on its hinge... when was this?

Harriet Baldwin
👍

Wed 31 Jan 2018, 12:43 (last edited on Wed 31 Jan 2018, 12:44)

If planes were scrambled, you'd hear/feel the boom, this isn't a particularly residential area.. I was at Burford garden centre last year when they scrambled two from Lakenheath and everyone looked round you see what the noise was. I didn't see any reports of this though yesterday but I didn't do much looking.

Jean Adams
👍

Wed 31 Jan 2018, 12:15

As the bang was heard, rattling houses, in different parts of Charlbury, and Military aircraft are not supposed to overfly residential areas, the cause remains a mystery.Is there a Scientist in Charlbury who can suggest a cause.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.