Wilderness Festival Local Residents Tickets

Dave Oates
👍

Sat 3 Mar 2018, 11:05

Paul I do have a vested interest in that I love the festival and as a 25 year resident, also love the town and everything that goes on here. Having a festival on our doorstep is something we should be proud and supportive of. You are right that I have been lucky enough to play there and I hope that continues. However I have also bought my allocation of residents tickets because I believe it is great value and will be there with my family for the whole thing

Andrew Chapman
👍

Fri 2 Mar 2018, 16:04

'This is not a financial decision...' Disingenuous. Forcing weekend tickets means you maximise the revenue from discounted local tickets. Many locals will still come and go, risking losing the 'sense of togetherness' - but this way you make more money out of them anyway. Also: the sunk cost means local people will probably visit on most days and therefore spend more money on other stuff. Like Miles, I'm a fan of Wilderness and have enjoyed lots of it - but other festivals are available for better value.

Paul Taylor
👍

Fri 2 Mar 2018, 13:44

Dave I think Mel has a point questions aren't always answered you have a vested interest with your band so your going to back them.

Dave Oates
👍

Wed 28 Feb 2018, 11:34 (last edited on Wed 28 Feb 2018, 11:35)

Mel, I think your comments are a little unfair to say the least. Wilderness have hosted public meetings every year (I have been at most of them) and very few people have attended. There have been no questions as far as I know regarding ticketing - they are mainly around traffic and noise. To my knowledge, Charlotte and her team have always responded promptly to questions and suggestions.

The tickets generally are very favourably priced at list compared to other festivals and a 40% discount from that for locals seems more than reasonable to me. We as a town should be fighting to make sure Wilderness is supported locally and that it continues to thrive- it would be a huge loss to the town, its' people and businesses if it were to disappear!

Charlotte Drummond-Chew
👍

Fri 23 Feb 2018, 16:36

To The Charlbury Forum Users,

We're always happy to answer questions, and I wanted to get back to you to answer a few of your questions that I have seen here.

The local tickets are on sale for £115, the same price as the past 3 years. It is over a 40% discount on the final festival ticket price. As well as this there is a discount on Teen Tickets and Car Parking.

We work closely with various local charities and community projects in several different ways to make sure we are having an additional positive impact on the local community.

Wilderness has not offered day tickets for the past 6 years, and this remains the same for 2018. This is not a financial decision - in fact, it is easier to generate income if you sell individual day tickets - but instead a decision taken as part of our ethos, that everyone at the festival is there for the duration to aid a sense of togetherness that in our experience is lost when some people come for only one day or evening.

We host a yearly Public Review each January which is an opportunity to meet the team and talk face to face about local matters before the tickets go on sale. This year a total of 6 people came and we are currently working with the relevant teams on all of the feedback received. These meetings are specifically set up to help the local residents and answer the questions that you may have asked above. However we're always happy to answer questions, and if you would still like to ask something please email info@wildernessfestival.com with *LOCAL RESIDENT* in the title and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

Many thanks,

Charlotte

Mel Howard
👍

Fri 23 Feb 2018, 15:18

What i find annoying is that everyone is asking some simple questions to Charlotte Drummond-Chew and she is not responding to any of them. I think its been the same in previous years .. basically ignore everyone until the festival then whoops its too late.

Bebe Bonet
👍

Fri 23 Feb 2018, 11:02

Charlotte, I guess they just want to get us for as much money as possible. At least as locals we wouldn't have to camp - I haven't since I was a child!

Charlotte Veron
👍

Thu 22 Feb 2018, 19:04

Thank you for sharing your insight, Christine - this is really useful to know.
Disappointing to hear that it's all or nothing where day tickets are concerned, I'm not sure how many local residents really want to spend four consecutive days there.
Charlotte

Christine Battersby
👍

Thu 22 Feb 2018, 17:08 (last edited on Thu 22 Feb 2018, 17:12)

Charlotte, I've never had a problem getting friends who live outside the area into the festival, as long as one person lives locally & you have not exceeded the limit of 4 adults. Indeed, one year a friend who lives out of the area upgraded the basic parking/camping to the disabled camping/parking area, after I had bought the basic parking/camping package at the Post Office. Since entry is by wrist band which is retained for the whole weekend, you can't mix and match friends, however.

Last year locals could buy the tickets with or without integral parking or camping. But it wasn't that much cheaper. You need to ask at the Post Office to see if this has changed.

The problem with the walk-in tickets is, however, that Wilderness is often slow to open up the North Gate (i.e. the Cornbury Gate) to locals, and then last year they closed it down much too early, whilst locals were still arriving late Saturday afternoon. It is then a long walk to Finstock to get in to the festival.

For a long time now, Wilderness has not had 1-day tickets. It's all or nothing as far as they are concerned. This is different from the Cornbury Festival at Great Tew (shuttle buses from Charlbury station) which is on again this year, even though last year was supposed to have been its last. 1 Day visitors are welcome there.

Charlotte Veron
👍

Thu 22 Feb 2018, 16:36

The Wilderness website is pretty shocking, it appears you can't seem to buy tickets A: for a non camping arrangement and B: for anything other than the whole four days...
I would like a non camping arrangement one day ticket ideally!

Also with the tickets for local residents, are we allowed to buy extra tickets for friends that don't live in charlbury? Or is it more of a strict show ID on arrival type of set up and if you bring a couple of friends who live out of area they will have to source full price tickets?
Not been living in charlbury long and handy to know these things!
Thanks, Charlotte.

James Styring
👍

Thu 22 Feb 2018, 11:00

Why is there no option for local residents to purchase a ticket for just a single day? There was the first two years.

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Wed 21 Feb 2018, 18:51

You can see the poster here www.ticketmaster.co.uk/wilderness?camefrom=CFC_UK_MAMA_Wilderness_WEB_FOOTER

Peter Evans
👍

Wed 21 Feb 2018, 17:19 (last edited on Wed 21 Feb 2018, 17:24)

I followed that link but couldn't actually connect to any useful pages. This one seems a bit better
https://www.wildernessfestival.com/

Christine Battersby
👍

Wed 21 Feb 2018, 17:13 (last edited on Wed 21 Feb 2018, 17:15)

Well, at least the basic programme for Wilderness is published this year before we have to decide whether or not to shell out £115 per adult ticket for it.

The Wilderness website is a bit of a mess, and you may struggle to find it. But if you use the top tabs on the following website, you should be (mostly) OK: https://www.wildernessfestival.com/info/when-is-it-announced/#

NB: The "browse in full link" does not work, and the details listed under "The Main Stage with BBC Music" gives you last year's headliners. But other details seem up to date as far as I can tell.

Elaine Newbold
👍

Wed 21 Feb 2018, 08:39 (last edited on Wed 21 Feb 2018, 08:42)

Wilderness Tickets 2018 are now on sale at the Post Office Weekend Tickets Adults @ £115 Teens £105 (13-17) Junior £35 (6-12) Child £5 (0-5) Car Park £10 choice of Non Camping, Quiet Camping, General Camping of Family Camping .

Rachel Cooper
👍

Mon 12 Feb 2018, 19:38

Tickets only discounted to OX7 3**? I'm a Stonesfield resident now, but I grew up in Charlbury and also run a business here. My house is at the top of Stonesfield and my windows run parallel towards the east direction of Cornbury Park. The past two summers have been a nightmare for me. Not being able to open windows at night for the fear of the drumming beats which woke up my children. And the traffic chaos, trying to do 3 miles home took me over half an hour (whilst trying to avoid pedestrians walking to the event) was really not fair. I don't want to seem a whinge bag and love the vibes and business it brings to our town but you seem to have forgotten how far this event effects. Yours a happy Stonesfield/Charlbury resident ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Charlotte Veron
👍

Mon 12 Feb 2018, 18:33

Hi Charlotte,
Is 21st Feb the only date these tickets will be available?
Does anyone know how much of a discount this is - what is the cost to non residents?
Also it would be really useful to know the situation with day tickets as not everyone wants to spend their whole weekend there.
Thanks, Charlotte Veron

Paul Taylor
👍

Fri 9 Feb 2018, 15:57

It's only inconvenience is it going on late into Monday over the years we have had promises that they would sort it to be honest they are only interested in making money not at all interested in any locals who don't go and have problems sleeping . Beer and drinks are always expensive at this festivals its supply and demand why should drinks be cheaper for locals after all you have been saduced by the cheap tickets to stop people moaning about the noise and disruption

James Styring
👍

Fri 9 Feb 2018, 12:34 (last edited on Fri 9 Feb 2018, 12:34)

David: agree there should be an option for day tickets. They used to do them. Charlotte?

PS I was serious about the beer too. Maybe a locals' wristband could get you discount? Otherwise, as Miles says, the festival is an overpriced inconvenience.

Miles Walkden
👍

Fri 9 Feb 2018, 08:05

I am a big fan of Wilderness. I love that we have this festival on our doorstep. When it started we got tickets for a family of four for around £150. Almost everyone we knew with families, and without, headed up and enjoyed the event. We saw older couples who would never go to a festival buying tickets to "see what its all about". I felt it was a great swap for the inconveniences felt more and less by Charlbury residents. Now a family of four costs around £280 and we dont go up any more. To be frank, if i'm spending that kind of money there are better festivals to go to. Many families simply cant afford over £300 with inevitable food drink spend. I believe that some local groups (School?) have had to stop having stalls as too expensive (i could be wrong). But its a shame to, in effect, lose this local event and some of the good will that came from locals being so present and appreciative.

David Thomas
👍

Thu 8 Feb 2018, 23:02

Is there an option for local residents to purchase a ticket for just a single day?

Paul Taylor
👍

Thu 8 Feb 2018, 17:29

Charlotte any chance of some sleep on Sunday night

James Styring
👍

Thu 8 Feb 2018, 16:34

Charlotte, is there any chance this year we could have local's prices for beer too? It's very expensive if you want to drink from dawn till dusk for three days.

John Davis
👍

Wed 7 Feb 2018, 21:01

Will we be able to buy quiet camping tickets?

Amy Crockford
👍

Fri 26 Jan 2018, 07:32

Hi Charlotte,
Can we also buy childrens at the Post Office?
Thanks Amy

Charlotte Drummond-Chew
👍

Thu 25 Jan 2018, 10:21

Hi Everyone,

For those of you who did not attend the review on Tuesday I can confirm that discounted local resident tickets will be available again this year from the Charlbury Post Office on Wednesday 21st February.

They will be priced at £115 for an Adult Weekend Ticket and will be available to all residents of OX7 3** with a limit of 4 adult tickets per household.

More information will be posted here and on posters throughout the town nearer the time.

Many thanks,

Charlotte DC
(Wilderness Event Manager)

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.