APCOA at Charlbury station

Charlotte Veron
👍

Thu 1 Feb 2018, 14:51

Hi Alan, I am afraid this has been my experience. I may have used the station eight times last year and the ticket machine was out of order on at least four of these occasions. (whether or not that's my bad luck I don't know). But paying by phone can be stressful, especially if you haven't allowed much time - parking elsewhere is probably the safest bet if you'd struggle doing it by phone.

Alan Wilson
👍

Mon 29 Jan 2018, 16:50

Charlotte, are you implying that in practice it is often impossible to pay using the machine and that paying by phone is the only option? I don't use the station that often these days, but if I have understood you correctly then I think that would be the last straw for me. I only have a rather dated phone, and have found in the past that sometimes it is just too difficult to use this to pay for parking and have had to move the car elsewhere.

Charlotte Veron
👍

Mon 29 Jan 2018, 15:05

Such a nightmare to park at the station...The paying machine is constantly broken, I always bring the correct change and have to revert to calling this very unhelpful company to park. In the past it has taken me some 20 minutes to sort out and I then get on the train anxious that I have somehow done it wrong. I am quite good with phones and technology, but some people don't even carry a mobile and could get caught out.

Philip Ambrose
👍

Sun 28 Jan 2018, 09:34

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42849443 (today)

Rogue parking companies face government crackdown

Simon Himmens-Warrick
👍

Tue 23 Jan 2018, 16:37

My long expected fine arrived in the post today. I dreaded it coming as I imagined it would be a complicated process to prove that I had paid but with the wrong vehicle registration. However.. in the end it was a 3 minute call and a helpful chap on the end of the line who informed me that as a gesture of goodwill he'd let me off.

I was annoyed by that - it wasn't a gesture of good will - I'd damn well paid, just made a mistake typing my reg!

Mr Angry of Charlbury (but secretly relieved and happy).

James Clarke
👍

Fri 19 Jan 2018, 18:24

I have in the recent past come across APCOA at Oxford Parkway where I was issued a ticket for not parking within a marked bay (the car park was full so along with many others I parked at the end of a row) I saw them off by using the guide from Money Saving Expert which may be easier to follow than pepipoo see here https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/parking-ticket-appeals

Mark Sulik
👍

Thu 18 Jan 2018, 21:21

What an excellent idea by Charlie - funds for the cricket club and the benefit stays in the town

Christine Battersby
👍

Thu 18 Jan 2018, 21:11 (last edited on Thu 18 Jan 2018, 21:11)

Victoria, There has been extensive discussion about this on an earlier thread headed "Charlbury Station Parking Charges", and also another one headed "Picking up from the station". These threads give the links to the various forums that tell you how best to proceed.

Try, for example, www.pepipoo.com and then search FightBackForums for Apcoa. I understand Apcoa generally back down in the end as long as you have followed the appeals procedure in the way that is required.

Personally, I have opted for Autopay at Charlbury rather than face all the hassle (google Apcoa Connect to find it). I was already registered for pre-payment at Oxford Parkway & Water Eaton (google Parkreg) which are now also operated by Apcoa.

I found Peter Evans advice on November 3 2017 to be extremely useful. Thank you, Peter, for sharing that information on the "Picking Up from the Station" thread.

victoria bull
👍

Thu 18 Jan 2018, 20:23

I wrote to APCOA to contest a fine in June within the specified time period. You cannot email them. I got no reply. Last week I received a letter saying that as I hadn't responded the fine was now £100 to be paid within 14 days or steps for debt recovery would be taken. I wrote again with a copy of my first letter but so far have had no response. Does anyone have any advice? Shall I just ignore them?

Charlie M
👍

Thu 18 Jan 2018, 08:08

I'm not a member, but maybe someone on here knows someone who is! And probably there are references in the Charlbury Chronicle.
Anyone?!

Andrew Mitchell
👍

Wed 17 Jan 2018, 13:48

That is brilliant, Charlie. Are you a member? Could you contact them?
If they're willing, we could register plates, and then pay, honesty-shop style, online to match or undercut APCOA?

Charlie M
👍

Wed 17 Jan 2018, 13:23

As a Charlbury resident (and a cricket lover!), I wonder if a scheme could be put together allowing people to park in the Cricket Club field for an appropriate donation? Firstly the money would be going to somewhere in Charlbury that would benefit from it, and secondly the APCOA parasites could go whistle! :-)

Andrew Mitchell
👍

Wed 17 Jan 2018, 12:39

I have written to APOCOA to challenge these fines. It really irks me that, though it is their system that is wrong, I am the one who must write a letter, pay for a stamp and post it. You cannot call or email them. I have also written to Robert Courts MP about this mendacious behaviour.

I'll keep you all posted.

graham W
👍

Tue 16 Jan 2018, 20:51

Tape up your number plate is the only option

Tracey Pratley
👍

Tue 16 Jan 2018, 20:20 (last edited on Tue 16 Jan 2018, 20:21)

They also take photos of taxis going in to pick up customers and ignoring them going back out. Again ignoring them going in later in the day to pick up more customers but taking a photo as they leave. This makes it seem that they have been sat there for hours without paying. Resulting in a £100.00 fine. Total fraudulent behaviour! This has happened more than once!

Simon Himmens-Warrick
👍

Tue 16 Jan 2018, 13:58

Waiting for something bad to happen after I accidentally typed in the wrong registration number by one letter on the update my reg text message. It must be close to 6 weeks since I did it.. you can't talk to a human when you need to.

Andrew Mitchell
👍

Tue 16 Jan 2018, 13:41

APCOA seem to have a nice scam going ... After going through the phone process, entering car and payment details, a voice says "Thank you. You will not be charged for your stay" (or words to that effect).

I assume, then, that the system cannot take payment for whatever reason, and get on with my journey.

Then 6 weeks later comes a letter asking for a £100 fine, £50 if you pay up quickly.

What kind of nonsense is this? The message did not say "please try again", or "your card has been declined".

What on earth are they playing at?

Anyone else had this from them?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.