Gym in/near Charlbury?

Tanya Stevenson
👍

Sun 21 Jan 2018, 17:18

Charlbury's gym is only £18 per month and you can walk there.

Lewis Mansell
👍

Sun 21 Jan 2018, 15:16

My partner and I use the school gym at Kingham Hill. Works out at £49/month for both of us which isn't too bad.

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Fri 19 Jan 2018, 18:49 (last edited on Sat 20 Jan 2018, 10:56)

Hi Phil,
I had no intention of being dismissive about the people of Cognatum development, in fact I find the term 'enclave' more meaningful. I used the word enclave simply because it perfectly describes something. It's just being descriptive of the place, not the people, and to me it's completely neutral. This is a random pick from a google search..... 'a place or group that is different in character from those surrounding it.' I think that this is a fair description of the place, and if I have offended anyone I am very sorry.

Feedback

Phil Morgan
👍

Fri 19 Jan 2018, 15:18

Rosemary, I'm sure you were not intending to be unkind but your latest comment does seem to be somewhat dismissive of the fine people who live in the Cognatum development on The Playing Close.
Many of the owners there contribute mightily to the town's culture and character. They have bought the little swimming pool as part of their freehold and they continue to pay for its upkeep on a monthly basis.
Not very nice to be labelled as an "enclave".

Jenny Chambers
👍

Thu 18 Jan 2018, 13:44

Jonathon is correct, there is one treadmill as part of the Community Gym but with the two Schwinn bikes, two Concept 2 rowing machines, hand weights, fit balls etc as well, there's plenty of choice for a workout. Thus far, we're seeing quite a range of use and no problems for people who want to use the treadmill.

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Thu 18 Jan 2018, 11:05

Oh Jonathan! Let's sign up for a small swimming pool as well. Just a bit of Charlbury history here.... There was a swimming pool on the very site, before the Secondary school was knocked down, but obviously no-one with the long view, or imagination, could have saved it. Then, when the next lot of property developers came along with their promises to help the community with funding towards a sports centre (which never materialised) they did build a small but perfectly formed pool on the site of the old Primary school, along with the many garages and hard standing areas, the token gardens and of course the houses (which are exclusively for retired people). Naturally, that pool is not available to non-residents of the enclave.

Jonathan Nash
👍

Wed 17 Jan 2018, 11:33

That's good news about the gym at Charlbury, but it seems as though there's only a single treadmill. Is that right? Would be a pain to go down there and find it in use (or be using it and see people waiting to get on!). I understand about funding and space issues though. I'd definitely sign up for a small gym to be built on the side of the community centre.

Jim Holah
👍

Fri 22 Dec 2017, 08:37

Rachel, yes. Pop into the community centre to register & to book your first session.

Rachael Lunney
👍

Fri 22 Dec 2017, 08:15

Do we have to book for the inductions

Miranda Higham
👍

Mon 11 Dec 2017, 18:59

That's really good to hear.

Tanya Stevenson
👍

Mon 11 Dec 2017, 18:56

Yes Miranda, that means Saturdays and Sundays too.

Miranda Higham
👍

Mon 11 Dec 2017, 15:20

Hi Tanya, when you say 'it will run from 9am-1pm every day of the week', do you also mean Saturday and Sunday, so that full time workers can also get to use it? Thanks

Tanya Stevenson
👍

Mon 11 Dec 2017, 13:16 (last edited on Mon 11 Dec 2017, 14:42)

Great News! The Community Gym at the Charlbury Community Centre will begin on the 2nd January. It will run from 9am-1pm every day of the week and the introductory price is £18 per month for as many visits as you like. This will inlude an initial induction session. A personal programme can be designed for you if you require one, by our fitness expert, Jason Biles. There will be an extra charge for this. For the ultra keen Jason will even be able to get the equipment out and do some inductions on 27th,28th and 31st December so you are ready to hit the ground running on 2nd January!

Tanya Stevenson
👍

Sat 25 Nov 2017, 12:21 (last edited on Sat 25 Nov 2017, 12:23)

Malcolm - I agree that would be great to see, but suspect that it needs a fully trained physiotherapist to do this properly given that everybody's "physical challenges", injuries and "age-related decrpitudes" might be slightly different. It might be difficult to achieve this in group sessions. If anyone knows of a physiotherapist who might be interested in putting on a class I'm sure we could accommodate one. That said, all the instructors find out about your particular needs and tailor their exercises for you. Hayley's Dynamic Alignment classes should be good for this and Jason will certainly offer help in his Body Condtioning class and probably the circuit training too. Details of all these can be found here: https://www.charlburycommunitycentre.org.uk/sport-and-wellbeing/wellbeing-studio-sports/ and if people email or phone the instructor first, they can make sure it can be adapted to their needs.

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Fri 24 Nov 2017, 23:53

As someone who is significantly "physically challenged" (i.e PIP registered now) from prior mishaps, I would like to put in a word to say that someone able to instruct people like moi in how to work on things without crocking ourselves up further would be great. And any equipment pertaining thereof - if there is anything more particular than just learning how to use standard gym kit appropiately that is. I can't be the only guy in town who could do with some targetted muscle work and fitness like this, due to injury or increasing age-related decrepitude, and Witney or Enstone or Chippy are a long way away and not everyone who could benefit is independently mobile.

Claire Wilding
👍

Fri 24 Nov 2017, 17:52

That sounds great Paul, please keep us posted!

Nikki Frankum
👍

Fri 24 Nov 2017, 10:12

Fabulous thank you all for your comments. I shall endeavour to get fitter and be able to recommend places for my patients to go :-)

Paul D Jenkins
👍

Thu 23 Nov 2017, 22:56 (last edited on Thu 23 Nov 2017, 23:12)

Please don't panic !! Good news!!

We would have loved to have included a full gym setup at the Community Centre but we did have limited resources (especially money), however, Nikki you are correct to say that there is significant demand for some form of Gym in Charlbury. Therefore we will be launching a Community Gym (exact format and name in final discussions) that can be easily transported between the Sports Hall area and the TGT room. Please let us develop our thoughts but it is likely to include treadmills, cycle machines, cross trainers and some light weights etc. Please feed any comments you may have into Jenny and Jason at the centre.It will be discounted to reflect the restricted opening times ( looking at £15 pcm) and limited in membership numbers. We are hoping to go live January 1. Over the longer term, we are looking at the option of developing the end site nearest the doctors which could incorporate a full-time gym as part of a wider but small development now that the Sports and Social club have an alternative site.

However, if anybody is looking to get fit in the interim I would strongly recommend the circuits class that Jason runs on a Sunday morning. It's brilliant !!

Tony Morgan
👍

Thu 23 Nov 2017, 22:17

Then start a group to raise funds There is space at the end of the centre

Mark Sulik
👍

Thu 23 Nov 2017, 22:03

A shame that a 14 mile round trip is needed !

Mark Luntley
👍

Thu 23 Nov 2017, 19:36

I recommend Pirate Fitness in Witney - its a not for profit community gym with a fitness room and loads of classes. Its also run as a local social enterprise - the board of trustees aiming to improve the health of people in the area. They help local physios show people how to recover use of movement post stroke for example.

www.piratefitness.co.uk

Naomi Berger
👍

Thu 23 Nov 2017, 14:00

Stone barn fitness in Churchill is good. Staff friendly and helpful. They also do personal training.

Tony Morgan
👍

Thu 23 Nov 2017, 13:13

Funding.
Witney & Chippy leisure centres have good gyms

Nikki Frankum
👍

Thu 23 Nov 2017, 12:56

I'm sure I can't be the only person wondering if it would have been a great idea to have had a gym at the Sports Hall/Community Centre but is there a reason this didn't happen? With this lack of facility therefore, can someone please recommend a decent gym (not too big) that they know of in/near Charlbury? Many thanks.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.