Starling murmurations - any near Charlbury?

Frank Payne
👍

Sat 25 Nov 2017, 12:18

I can thoroughly recommend a visit to Otmoor. The best time to see the starlings is just before sunset. Although there is a bird hide, you should follow the path to the screens, just ask anyone if you are not sure. Warm clothing is advised as it is quite exposed, and walking shoes or wellington boots. The rspb warden is a mine of information, as are a lot of the experienced bird watchers and they will point out birds like marsh or hen harriers, the latter being a very rare bird. There are also bitterns now thanks to the efforts of the rspb. Weekends get very busy, and the car park can get very full, week days are much less busy. Take a torch as it will be dark when you come to leave. Binoculars make a big difference if you have them. Parking and entry to the reserve is free.

Simon Walker
👍

Tue 21 Nov 2017, 22:14

The last time we went there, the only puddley bit was getting from the car park to the embankment - once you are up on top, looking down on the swamps below, it shouldn't be worse than an ordinary footpath walk.

Steven Fairhurst Jones
👍

Tue 21 Nov 2017, 20:25

Thanks both - I've never been to Otmoor but various blog posts make it sound like an extensive and treacherous quagmire! Sounds more promising now.

Simon Walker
👍

Tue 21 Nov 2017, 14:37

From past experience, the hide nearest to where the starlings 'perform' is about a half mile from the car park. We've not been along to watch for a number of years, but I don't remember the track along the embankment and the path to the hide being too muddy.

Stephen Andrews
👍

Tue 21 Nov 2017, 13:12

Otmoor should be fine for a five-year old (with wellies) as I recall there is a RSPB car park close to where you can view.

Steven Fairhurst Jones
👍

Tue 21 Nov 2017, 12:57

I'd like to see one of the big flocks of starlings which gather at dusk about this time of year, but don't want to travel as far as the well-known sites in Somerset, Newport etc.. Can anyone recommend somewhere fairly reliable a bit closer to Charlbury?

Ideally it would be suitable for taking a 5-year old along, which I think rules out RSPB Otmoor due to the extent of muddy walking involved.

I know we have our reliable mixed flock of jackdaws and crows around Charlbury, and they put on a good show at dusk every day, but I'm hoping for an even bigger spectacle, like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9f6cRNxpSs

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.