New Alcohol License at the Spendlove Centre???

Elaine Newbold
👍

Fri 17 Nov 2017, 09:58 (last edited on Fri 17 Nov 2017, 16:27)

I love the new Community Centre never thought my husband and I at our ages would find a sport we now both very much enjoy and meet new enthusiasts of Pickleball which is fun for ALL ages anyone interested can come along Fridays evenings 8-10

Tim at Cotswold Frames
👍

Fri 17 Nov 2017, 09:13

I miss the old Spendlove Centre

Paul D Jenkins
👍

Fri 17 Nov 2017, 06:12 (last edited on Fri 17 Nov 2017, 06:21)

The license applied for is a general license that will allow alcohol to be sold in the Community Centre principally by the cafe, in exactly the same way it does so in the Deli. This will be a choice for the cafe but the license will be in place should they wish to do so and monitored and controlled by the TGT. It also is worded to cover any gatherings in the Thomas Gifford Room for ad-hoc fundraising events or small parties such as fundraisers for the new Sports and Social Club. The aim is NOT to create another place to hang out and drink as this is already well catered for in Charlbury and it does not cover large events as the plan is to direct these events towards the memorial hall. Any large event that is deemed acceptable as a use by TGT and is too large for the memorial hall will be subject to a separate application as a regulated event. The emphasis at the centre is all about wellbeing, sport, and learning but there will be now an option to have a glass of wine or beer at a meeting or gathering if the event organizers feel it is appropriate.

James Styring
👍

Thu 16 Nov 2017, 17:08

If you read all the paperwork you'll see that WalkDenInc has applied for a licence to park a mobile alcopops bar in the takeaway van parking spot, open 3-4pm, then 9.30-11pm.

Paul Butler
👍

Thu 16 Nov 2017, 16:46

Could it possibly be the COOP re applying for its licence to sell alcohol? All this scrutiny is a little irritating as I was hoping to use the loft space in the Community Centre changing rooms to grow cannabis plants.

Wendy Bailey
👍

Thu 16 Nov 2017, 16:32 (last edited on Thu 16 Nov 2017, 16:38)

Jean.. Firstly the book club has been known to enjoy a glass of wine or beer. Why not relax over a good book and wine/beer or coffee? Secondly, not every young person drinks alcahol.
What is Charlbury coming to? Hopefully encouraging ALL ages to be fitter and friendlier with our new " Community" centre.

Pearl Manners
👍

Thu 16 Nov 2017, 14:51

Hello, where is the Spendlove Centre? You must be referring to Charlbury Community Centre I'm sure the proper name would need to be used on a license and as Russell said it's likely to be for the purpose of events as I'm sure saw it advertised for Weddings etc.

russell robson
👍

Thu 16 Nov 2017, 13:13

You need a license to sell alcohol at events I imagine that is what the application is for.

By extension you could suggest that the memorial hall doesn't need a license as those attending events could pop to the Bull or Rose in the intervals.

On the issue of what the world is coming to, I suggest a rather sticky, imminent and catastrophic end, but I'm not sure that's because the Community Centre wants to sell a few glasses of wine.

Jean Adams
👍

Thu 16 Nov 2017, 12:55 (last edited on Thu 16 Nov 2017, 12:56)

Sports Hall/Young people/Alcahol?? This does not seem appropriate. I am also sure that people using the Library won't want alcohol.There are plenty of pubs in Charlbury if the athletes want a beer afterwards. What is the world coming to. A sticky end, that's what.

Nikki Frankum
👍

Thu 16 Nov 2017, 09:30

Just had a nosy on the WODC site and it seems that there has been an application (or two) for the Spendlove Centre to sell alcohol - given there is no distinct business or centre name, am I right in thinking that the premises concerned is the Sports Hall?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.