Bicycles

Clare Carswell
👍

Thu 16 Nov 2017, 23:36

Thanks so much everyone, I will follow this advice !

James Styring
👍

Wed 15 Nov 2017, 14:15 (last edited on Thu 16 Nov 2017, 00:03)

About cycling on busy roads: the roads you'd cycle on needn't be the same ones you are used to driving on (busy roads to Woodstock, Burford and Witney).
For example if you can handle a few minutes along the road to Fawler (not as bad as it looks), you can get all the way from Charlbury to Eynsham via East End and will hardly see a car.
Also, riding around the other side of Cornbury (from the top of the 1st hill on the Burford Road to Leafield) is beautiful and very peaceful. I'd suggest riding up the Burford Rd (a bit of a hill but not that steep and soon over) and taking the first left to Leafield bcos (after riding past the back of Cornbury) you then get to ride down the hill from the back of Hill Top Garden Centre to the left turn onto the Sustrans route that runs along the bottom of the Cornbury estate. (I would not cycle up the hill through Finstock to the right turn to North Leigh as the road is narrow and fast up the hill.)
There are a lot more quiet routes on-road and using the bridleways too. No need to mix with traffic (at least not for more than a few minutes).
I haven't explained these very well but there are three cartographers in town all of whom cycle so I am sure they can post a few routes on map if necessary!

James Styring
👍

Wed 15 Nov 2017, 14:03

Try Windrush Bike Project in Witney windrushbikeproject.uk/2017/10/28/refurbished-bikes-sale/. They are great.
Broken Spoke Bike Co-op bsbcoop.org/what-we-do/sales/ in Oxford sell renovated bikes (currently sold out but they have a high turnover). They are also great.
I don't know anything about Stuart's Bikes but he is local and selling 2nd hand: www.oxfordbicycles.co.uk/cheap-bikes.php.

Nick Millea
👍

Tue 14 Nov 2017, 18:16

Stuart's Bikes at Cote near Aston. He has a huge fleet of machines for all ages and sizes. Try www.oxfordbicycles.co.uk/

Clare Carswell
👍

Tue 14 Nov 2017, 14:03

Thank you, I will take a look !

K Harper
👍

Tue 14 Nov 2017, 12:01

Search for "the charity bike shop" Stratford on Avon. Can't remeber the name of the village it is in but somewhere near Newbould. Huge range of bikes all refurbished and reasonable prices. Good luck and happy cycling!

Clare Carswell
👍

Tue 14 Nov 2017, 10:38

Is there anyone in the area who renovates and sells on bikes ? I have cycled all my life and would like to get back in the saddle, but being a city girl am nervous of doing so on country lanes where people seem to ignore speed limits. I don't want to buy a brand new bike if in a few weeks I decide not to keep on cycling. Thanks !

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.