Badger deaths

Amanda
👍

Sat 18 Nov 2017, 19:12

Oh no that is just awful! Why on earth would someone want to do that? Especially when that area is a nature reserve.I hope that no one's dogs are affected by the poison and I hope that who ever is responsible gets caught! I will be sharing this dreadful news with my dog walking friends and ask that everyone stays vigilant.

Julie Penny
👍

Wed 15 Nov 2017, 10:35

It appears that they may have been poisoned which is why the police were informed. Yes they are protected animals and it is illegal to interfere with them.

Hannen Beith
👍

Sun 12 Nov 2017, 14:05

Very sad. Dying of what? Poison, or traps? Is it legal to murder badgers? Anyway, whichever method is employed, are dogs at risk?

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Thu 9 Nov 2017, 17:26

How sad.

Romaine Schmidt
👍

Tue 7 Nov 2017, 21:43

Thank you for reporting this.

Julie Penny
👍

Tue 7 Nov 2017, 15:53

I live in Blenheim Farm, the reserve is at the end of my field, the footpath runs through my garden and as such I speak to dog walkers every day and they have reported the following.

About two months ago, a neighbour and dog owner was walking his dog through the reserve and found a badger dying in great distress and crying out in pain. He called both the local vet and RSPCA but neither organisation were able or willing to help apparently and the poor thing died. He mentioned it to me and I got in touch with the Badger Trust and the area co-ordinator for BBOWT Mark Bradfield. Sadly a couple of weeks ago another dog walker mentioned to me that she had fund another badger dead or dying just outside the reserve.

As a result Thames Valley Police have been informed and the Wildlife Officer Ken Cook and a colleague visited the set and reserve last Thursday with Mark Bradfield. The carcass of the second badger was too decomposed to take away for analysis and has been buried.

If anyone has any information could you please contact Ken Cook Wildlife Officer at Thames Valley Police.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.