Cyclists

stephen cavell
👍

Wed 11 Oct 2017, 16:09

Speeds attainable on a bicycle. When I was a lad - many years ago - I was one of 4 brothers. One day three of us on cycles (Sturmey Archer crossbar 3 speed change) challenged the fourth on a BSA Bantam down a Cornish hill - at 40mph the Bantam gave up and we were in the pub by the time he arrived. On another occasion I was on the said Bantam going into St Ives passing a long line of 'emmots' when at the bottom the local bobby on a push bike drew up alongside to admonish us. He was doubly annoyed because he had pedalled so fast his chain had come off and he was covered in oil. For those authoritarians amongst you will pleased to know that by the time we got home he had phoned our father who took the m/cycle away from us for two weeks. Very effective justice without the need for speed traps.

Mark Sulik
👍

Wed 11 Oct 2017, 15:10

It could also be a the female version in these days of equality ! Cars have to have a horn - .lets start a campaign - ring back the bell ?""

Simon Walker
👍

Wed 11 Oct 2017, 14:09

Indeed, Mark. Electric cars are scary enough when they move off silently right next to you, let alone appearing without any audible warning on the open road. And that, of course, is part of the problem in this case. Not only did the cyclist in question not slow down when he saw Rhona (and dog) crossing the road in front of him, but he had no means of attracting her attention other than voice-power - which he did, but only when he was too close for it to be of any use.

The Victorians had the right approach. All cyclists and electric cars should be preceded by a chap with a red flag.

Mark Sulik
👍

Wed 11 Oct 2017, 13:43

Electric car - can't hear them coming - relating to the comments in the final
Paragraph of Simons post

James Styring
👍

Wed 11 Oct 2017, 13:36

Mark: presumably you mean electric bicycles not electric cars?

James Styring
👍

Wed 11 Oct 2017, 13:36

I tried but failed to set off the SID (which I presume is triggered at 30mph?) yesterday riding down from Dancers Hill. Damnit.
Must. Try. Harder.

Helen Chapman
👍

Wed 11 Oct 2017, 07:46

I'm impressed at the bravery of cyclists who go at around 30mph down that hill. I usually brake all the way down for fear of bumping in a pot hole and landing in the path of an overtaking car...

Andrew Greenfield
👍

Tue 10 Oct 2017, 22:05

No, nor have I Richard, in the days when I had a cycle, but I know those who have!

Mark Sulik
👍

Tue 10 Oct 2017, 20:52

Not taking into account the use of electric powered cars

Simon Walker
👍

Tue 10 Oct 2017, 18:17

Bob's experimental results rather confirm the points made by Rhona in her original post, so just to add to the data set, my dog and I have carried out some more experiments at the same place, but from the pedestrian's perspective. I would have said 'the pedestrian's viewpoint', but actually that was somewhat restricted by cars parked along the side of the road, so 'perspective' it remains. Our dog's presence was also germane to the experiment, since he was present at the time of the original 'near-miss'.

Paced out, the distance from the junction of Dancers Hill and Sturt Road to the crossing point from the Blenheim Farm footpath to Willow Walk is about 120m. Measured on a stopwatch (I know, I know, I should get out more ...) it took my dog and I about 8 seconds to cross the full width of the road, including the parking bay there, so that is the length of time a pedestrian has clear if a cyclist were at the Dancers Hill junction when they started to walk across the road.

From Bob's speed records (18mph/8m/s at the top of the hill and 27 mph/12m/s at the dip), and using linear acceleration, it would take the cyclist about 12 seconds to go from top to bottom - theoretically long enough for someone to walk across the road safely. But, as Bob also said, it is quite possible for the cyclist to be travelling considerably faster than that, which would cut the pedestrian's safe time for crossing as well. Add to that that a pedestrian may not be able to see right the way up to the junction (because of the parked cars), will inevitably be concentrating on listening for cars, and almost certainly will be looking for cars coming from the right (The Slade side of the dip) first, and the margin of safety has disappeared - as Rhona found out the hard way.

Angus B
👍

Tue 10 Oct 2017, 17:28

Surely speed limits apply only to motor vehicles so cyclists are exempt? They can be prosecuted for "wanton and furious driving" only if they injure someone, l believe.

Phil Morgan
👍

Tue 10 Oct 2017, 15:52

That madman in the flat cap definitely needs a limiter on his Galaxy!

Bob Douglas
👍

Tue 10 Oct 2017, 11:44

Experiment seems to be the way forward. Hitting the top of
the steep part of dip in The Slade at about 18mph and then
freewheeling, I was doing 27mph at the bottom. Starting
similarly and then peddling as fast as possible down the
hill, I was doing about 35mph at the bottom. No doubt
other cyclists could do better.

For the technical among you I was riding a touring bike
(Dawes Galaxy) with a top gear of 48x11 (or 120 inches).
~

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Tue 10 Oct 2017, 11:33

You're evidently a whole bunch fitter than me Andrew - I've never hit 30 on the Slade!

Andrew Greenfield
👍

Tue 10 Oct 2017, 11:29

Yes, definitely faster than 30mph, and without too much difficulty.

nigel rosser
👍

Tue 10 Oct 2017, 11:10

How fast can a cyclist go, even down the big dipper? More than 30 mph?

Jim Holah
👍

Tue 10 Oct 2017, 11:08

It's almost impossible to capture motorcycles (don't tell 'em...) so slimline cyclists won't even register.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Tue 10 Oct 2017, 10:17

Perhaps the Community Speedwatch volunteers have figures on the number of cyclists they've recorded speeding down the Slade vs the number of motorists?

Bruce Claridge
👍

Mon 9 Oct 2017, 02:17

Hang on, I don't understand the complaint, the cyclist was on the road and the pedestrian was crossing the road. Is that correct? Did they go through red lights or ignore the lollipop lady?

Heather Williams
👍

Sun 8 Oct 2017, 22:09

Spendlove Car park being resurfaced this coming week, so probably why it was empty. But still does not explain the need to park on the double yellow lines, it happens all the time.

russell robson
👍

Sun 8 Oct 2017, 20:43

Perhaps using automatic number plate recognition a system could be created that only allowed charlbury residents who have never transgress any legislation into the town boundaries. Speeding cyclists could be sorted out by strategic ropes between lamp post, and eventually an overweight lorry will cause the bridge to collapse preventing the unwashed of Burford entering the town.

PS Whilst using the lovely new community centre today i did notice that the car park was rather empty, however at least three towns people did feel the need to park on double yellow lines and in the disabled bay,

Rhona Walker
👍

Sat 7 Oct 2017, 17:06

I'm sure he swerved to avoid me, for which I'm grateful but the fact is that he was going far too fast. It is just too tempting for cyclists to want to fly down the Big Dipper and there is nothing to stop them - apart from the odd pedestrian who might just happen to be half way across the road at that particular moment!

Hannen Beith
👍

Sat 7 Oct 2017, 11:31

Perhaps we've got this all wrong. Instead of filling in potholes we should create more. That would calm the traffic, both cars and cyclists.

Miles Walkden
👍

Sat 7 Oct 2017, 10:59

But seriously, I am both a cyclist and a (semi-professional) driver, and so hate both 50% of the time. The issue appears to be the road rather than the vehicle. A bit of traffic calming and the place is safer for all.

(the Semi-pro bit is an in-joke)

Miles Walkden
👍

Sat 7 Oct 2017, 10:46

Funnily I hate cyclists but dont mind them killing and maiming. I guess it takes all sorts.

Hannen Beith
👍

Sat 7 Oct 2017, 10:11

I wasn't accusing you James - I'm sure you are a courteous cyclist, in keeping with your general demeanour. I just thought you might like the opportunity to comment!
Rhona - there is no legal obligation on cyclists to have a bell, just a recommendation in the Highway Code. Like lots of recommendations a minority of cyclists ignore it e.g. wear a helmet, don't ride on the footpath, don't cross junctions when lights are on red etc.
The problem is that the few laws applying to cyclists are in the Highway Act 1835, which is why the Government is looking at a new Act which will be more fit for purpose with the faster bikes (and cyclists) now on the roads.
I'm pro cyclists, but against them maiming and killing pedestrians. Just an old fashioned view.

James Styring
👍

Fri 6 Oct 2017, 22:48

No Hannen, I was in Cambridge all day (with a Brompton) - not guilty.
Rhona - presumably the cyclist saw you and avoided you as he saw you crossing the road?

Hannen Beith
👍

Fri 6 Oct 2017, 17:23

I'm sure James Styring would be happy to explain. James? ;-)

Rhona Walker
👍

Fri 6 Oct 2017, 15:48

This is becoming ridiculous. Almost hit by a cyclist whizzing down the big dipper on The Slade from Fiveways towards Enstone Road as I was crossing the road from Blenheim Farm to the footpath to Dancers Hill. He was going so fast, I neither saw him or heard him until he was right up to me - at which point he yelled 'Hello' Don't cyclists have bells now - and if they do, why don't they use them.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.