Potholes in Church lane.

Tony H Merry
👍

Mon 2 Oct 2017, 21:27

OCC should listen to you and especially if you publicise the accident after all a broken ankle will get a ore sympathetic response than damage to a car
I do think that an email to Robert Courts robert@robertcourts.co.UK would help your case

Hannen Beith
👍

Mon 2 Oct 2017, 19:16

I'm sorry to hear that Elizabeth. Agree with Christine. I won't repeat my experience of a very large pothole near Leafield - I think it's on the "other" thread.
OCC are useless and I wish your sister-in-law all the luck in the world if she hopes to get compensation (which she should). I just got a smug retort from OCC saying that they have a rolling programme of repairs so the £100 plus I had to pay for a blown out tyre was down to me.
Unfortunately, as the nights draw in and adequate road lighting continues to decline, I think there will be more incidents like this, involving people or cars or both.

Heather Williams
👍

Sun 1 Oct 2017, 19:25

The large pot hole I knew of on this location, was actually filled in on the Friday before the ToB, so I am not sure if this has happened at some other pot hole. The first one was horrific, and someone "fell" in it a couple of days before the ToB in the dark and had to be taken away by ambulance.

Christine Battersby
👍

Sun 1 Oct 2017, 17:51 (last edited on Sun 1 Oct 2017, 18:10)

This sounds like the pothole which was supposed to have been patched on September 8th prior to the Tour of Britain Cycle race. See the thread headed Tour of Britain - Saturday, currently on p. 3 of the forum site. There can be found details of 2 previous accidents -- one involving an ambulance & a damaged ankle, & one not (both with witnesses).

As Mark Sulik noted on that thread, the patch could only be temporary given that no bitumen compound was used to bond the old tarmac to the new infill. It could be that the repairers are liable, & certainly OCC can't say that they did not know about it. Robert Courts also should be informed of this. Fixing broken ankles places a huge strain on the NHS, & it simply is not good enough that such a dangerous pothole was not properly mended.

Tony H Merry
👍

Sun 1 Oct 2017, 15:40

Sorry to hear this sad story Elizabeth
Oxfordshire County Council is responsible for all road maintenance and you can report problems at fixmystreet.oxfordshire.gov.uk/?utm_source=FURL-1&utm_medium=reporting&utm_term=nil&utm_content=&utm_campaign=reporting
This is the second serious accident in this area and results from cuts to their budget so it is worthwhile pointing this out to our MP Robert Courts
As the County Council is liable you may well be able to claim compensation in such a case and details of how to do this are here https://www.oxfordshire.gov.uk/cms/content/compensation-claims-result-highway-defects.
Street lighting is also their responsibility but the Neighbourhood Forum is also collecting views on this aspect so I will pass it onto them. I wish your sister-in-law a good recovery

Elizabeth Vergara
👍

Sun 1 Oct 2017, 15:06

I just wonder who is in charge of maintaining the roads in Charlbury? Last night my sister-in-law had a bad fall when she stepped in a pothole at the bottom of Church Lane on her way to the train station to see off her daughter. The fall was so nasty that she fainted and had to be carried in the arms of her brother and nephew. A long trip to emergency in Witney then Oxford followed, where she was told she had broken her ankle. I felt for her, we had such a lovely family gathering and it was sad it ended like this. Church Lane is poorly surfaced, and virtually unlit at the corner where it meets Dyers Hill.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.